THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:51 AM

Default Birds????..........not Firebird..........Feathered

Here in CO it seems like there have not been as birds in my backyard. Usually we have a ton of Robins, Sparrows, and Blue Jays but have only seen a couple here and there this summer. The baby blue jays used to scare the crap out of me if I accidently got to close to one on the ground, it is like a scream. Maybe with all the people moving here the birds are moving out . Is it just CO or have others noticed the same thing?

Old 08-14-2023, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I haven't seen as many as usual here...the weather is pretty screwy these days however...

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 08-14-2023, 12:42 PM

I've lived in the same place since 89 and over the last 4 or so years and the number of Blue Jay's has jumped from seeing one or two a year to seeing them weekly. We never used to see Bluebirds but now we see them about once a month year round. And there's that Woodpecker whose need to drum on our metal chimney at 0530 in the morning.
And at work there's a pair of Bald Eagles with a juvenile nested near by. Across the river there's a pair of Osprey nesting and there's a Golden Eagle that flies by regularly.

All this in Portland proper.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually see hundreds of Robins in our yard in late winter, then they fly north around March or so.

See some bluebirds lots of ospreys and hawks. Eagles are few.

The best ones I like are the Sand Hill Cranes. They go where ever they want.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandhill-crane-1-18-2020.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	618186  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-14-2023, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a yard full of blue jays and grey jays every summer. Robins occupy the front yard since it is largely tree free. When I start putting out bird seed and suet next month this place will starting looking like an aviary.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2023, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bird population at my location in upstate NY seems to have dropped dramatically in the last 30 years. All their noise used to bug the heck out of me in the mornings. Now it's very quiet. Used to see constant battles between the Jays and other birds, don't see much but Robins and Hummingbirds now.
On a visit to TN recently the first thing I noticed was the number of birds was like I remembered up here 30 years ago.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have lived on the CO western slope for 4 years. We had a LOT of sparrows congregate in a bush in front of our kitchen window every winter until this one. Very noticeable reduction this year. Hummingbirds visit the same bush in the summer and they are boundless.

I see fewer robins than I used to, but they didn't "flock" so not as noticeable.

We have some kind of noisy non-native doves that are clearly thriving. They are annoying. They don't stop cooing...

Kildeer nest out front every year and are super cool birds. There are also western tanagers around local ponds and they are quite striking.

I see many more quail than I did 4 years ago. They always make me smile when they run across the road.

Hawks and geese are holding steady.

There is a local owl that appears occasionally and is beautiful. Eagles sometimes visit the neighborhood, but I don't see them often.

Net: no big change here in the last 4 years with exception of sparrows.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have at least 100 wren in my back yards bushes. Every sunrise/sunset they are chirping away.

TOM
Old 08-15-2023, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in CT they have upped the prey birds considerably . They put nests all over the place for osprey and others that will attack rabbits, squirrels , cats , other birds anything that moves . They are like the angel of death around here, they pull fish up and destroy the decks of boats with the massacre of dead fish . The Audobon society is sponsoring such things . They are even killing pets in the neighborhood . Many a doo gooder is sponsoring these nests on their land thinking it’s so wonderful how these prey birds dismember and disembowel everything smaller than them. Its like a daily bloodbath around here and the population of these birds has exploded in recent years while the population of other things is dropping . These nests are in marsh lands where there would be no natural habitat for these birds, trees don’t grow in the marsh
Naturally.
You can’t do a thing YOU want in the marsh, or review areas but if you’re on the “correct” side your allowed to bastardize this land all you want. . It’s been a real problem here and since birds migrate I’d bet your seeing the effects where your all located My yard was full of life with small animals now there’s nothing thanks to one of these man made nests . My kids get to watch little animals ripped from the backyard constantly .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-15-2023, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Whippoorwills

When I was a kid, here in South Jersey, we had Whippoorwills.
The summer night would be ROARING with the chant of whippoorwills, and then you turn on the porch light...silence.
Turn it off again and one by one they start chanting again until hundreds of them are chanting in sync.
Really haunting...
I really miss that.
Havnt heard a single one in twenty years or more.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just wish these filthy bastards would die off or go home.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 10-12-2023 at 05:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the wildlife, there’s everything where I live. I built a huge bird feeder, I can see all the action in my sunroom. Love it.
There is NYC if you don’t like the critters.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-15-2023, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have plenty of birds. Robins, crow, turkey, starlings, blue jay, and the most striking one was a scarlet tanager that stunned itself on one of my windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scarlet tanager.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	618226  

The Following User Says Thank You to Radman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2023, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Truth!! Since local development seemingly needs a giant supply of ponds (retention or otherwise) these damn things are everywhere. At our office, they nest near the door, then attack people coming in. One of the rotten damn things ate some of the roof seal trim off of my car. They crap all over the sidewalk. A co-worker found that they're afraid of green laser pointers, so that's a plus.

Then 100 of them will decide to cross the road, and that brings the whole damn world to a standstill. I say that they dont fear cars and they should develop a healthy aversion to them. Make them work for it.

They are footballs with feet and need to be treated as such.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM

Still have a hawk that hangs out can hear him screech while soaring in the sky. Most of the little birds have all but moved out I guess. We have a small yard but my wife made sure to plant a tree or bush around the perimeter so it used to be a bird haven. I miss the little colorful yellow finches that used to come around

Old 08-18-2023, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is more hawks and crows around my area here in southern California, they don't let migrating bird's nest cause they will eat their eggs and babies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230715_090801842.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	618402  

Old 08-18-2023, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Still have a hawk that hangs out can hear him screech while soaring in the sky. Most of the little birds have all but moved out I guess. We have a small yard but my wife made sure to plant a tree or bush around the perimeter so it used to be a bird haven. I miss the little colorful yellow finches that used to come around
Racoons and crows are always looking for bird's nest to eat them.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Them big ducks, geese and squirrels overpopulating our local parks and small lakes, they reproduce so fast n **** all over. I'm glad some coyotes will eat them.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Yeah, they can be nasty! Back to Canader w/em, where they come from.... and nothing against our Pontiac brethren here............

Old 08-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We get hummingbirds mostly, but a roadrunner and her two children hunt frequently in our yard.

The chicks keep away but momma will allow me to give her water and snacks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post: