THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Quarter Mile, Street Cred and other Shenanigans

I have a place near a street corner in a quiet but posh neighborhood. That means, lots of bozos with a AMG C63 , M5 , lambos and the likes like "gun" it from our street corner any time of the day or night.

First off, before arriving at the corner they push the "sport button" and dowshift like arriving for a pit stop...with super annoying backfire mode thanks to a silly ECU programming and mega loud exhaust ( now theses cars have speakers installed in the exhaust system, literally!)

Then they activate "launch mode" and accelerate their 2 tons of computers, electronic sensors, electrical wiring, 8 speed automatic transmisison and traction controls off the line... and usually let go after 500 ft of loundness...

Those new cars are getting fast with 450-600 hp on tap even if they're real heavy their numerous electronic nannies and controls makes em fast...

These days I ride my bikes due to the warm sunny weather we have now ,one of em being a decent liter Sportbike , I rarely encounter those bozos on the road when I ride and when I do I leave em behind in short order cuz I dont want em around me.

Since I very seldomly drive my old cars around, and most often at night time I seem to never get lucky finding "new tech fast cars" to play when im driving my old stuff around... maybe its better for my ego....

There is fair bit of difference between a car that's set up for 1/8 or 1/4 mile only with optimized chassis and gear for sticky tracks compared to a street "cred" machine, or no prep car that you guys may build differently

I was wondering if you guys like to "measure up" against those cars , I mean it could be either street racing, digs , roll on drag whatever you call it in your area.

Do you guys have fun stories racing against new sheetmetal? If so what set up do you have ?