Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Default Best electric fan for a 71 LeMans vert

Ok so I've read the cooling thread but what I want to know is what is the best electric fan that anyone has used for our cars, not all Pontiacs. I'd like to get rid of the flex fan that my car came with and living here in the desert the daytime temps will be hitting 110F real soon; so if anyone has any real world use/info on a good electric fan for my 400 lets hear it. Thanks in advance

Chris

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SPAL brand fans are the best in my opinion. They offer several options but one thing I highly reccomend is a fan that pulls NOT pushes air, one that you will mount on the engine side of the radiator. You do not need to block the front of a radiator with a fan. I bought mine (dual fans) through Mark 7 Radiator out of Bay City, Michigan (989) 922-7335 www.mark7radiator.com I have mine on a thermal switch to come on and go off on their own along with a bypass switch that I can manually turn on at the track if necessary. My fans kick on at 185 and shut back off at 165 by themselves. It is a really nice set up.

Tim john---

Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM

I put a fan out of a Taurus on my lemans. Saw a write up on it on here awhile back.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=taurus+fan

reported to blow like 4500 cfm. I dunno how true that is, it's hardcore. I've read that it's the same fan that BeCool sends with thier radiators and as well rebranded.
But my experience with it is it rocks. Haven't had any issues except once when my temp switch I installed, the kind that pushes through the radiator, didn't activate so the relay for the fan wasn't getting power. Tinkered aroudn with the adjustment knob on the switch for a sec and it kicked right on.
C

Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replys, are both of you using alum radiators? It seems that everyone that responds in the cooling section is and I'm just using a stock copper/brass one, not sure if that would have any effect or not. Anyone else have any experiences?