THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Default Hello to anyone in Lafayette,LA and sorrounding areas

After living 4 almost 4 years in the great midwest northwest Ohio, Toledo to be exact, I am getting transferred to Lafayette, LA, I have lived in many places in this wonderful country but never in the lower mid south.
I am hoping the car scene is as good as here in northwest Ohio-South East Michigan. It,s hard to beat Pontiac Nat's, the Trans Am Nationals. Woodward Ave cruise, Im also a Mopar fan and owner and the Mopar Nats are also held in Ohio. I will be missing all these shows and venues, but will not be missing this F&%#ng SNOW we are getting now.
So if any of you are from the Lafayette, LA. area please let me know what are things to do down there.
Thanks

Old 01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old Goat 67 [Charles] lives in St. Francisville just up the road from ya.

THE one thing you must do is go down to Nawlins and see the National WWII Museum. It's an amazing vist that will bring tears to your eyes... it did mine when I was there this past August. And do not miss the movie Tom Hanks narrates... that is a top priority must see. Same for the building with the WWII aircraft hanging from the ceiling.

And welcome to PY. Your life will never be the same from now on. I'm wondering. Haven't I seen you on the SubSim forums, or Sim Outhouse? That name is very familiar.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Old Goat 67 [Charles] lives in St. Francisville just up the road from ya.

THE one thing you must do is go down to Nawlins and see the National WWII Museum. It's an amazing vist that will bring tears to your eyes... it did mine when I was there this past August. And do not miss the movie Tom Hanks narrates... that is a top priority must see. Same for the building with the WWII aircraft hanging from the ceiling.

And welcome to PY. Your life will never be the same from now on. I'm wondering. Haven't I seen you on the SubSim forums, or Sim Outhouse? That name is very familiar.
Thanks for the reply GT-182, Being in the Navy for the past 30 years, I have been to Nawlins no less than 6 times for training conferences etc. and I did go to the museum for a retirement ceremony and yes it is quite a place to visit, I recommended to all.

What are the SubSim-Sim Outhouse forums you are reffering to?
BTW I used to live in Delaware county PA. from 99 to 2004 and met some Pontiac owners from Delaware.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those websites are for the Silent Hunter sims, and flight sims like Flight Simulator X. One of the guys on Sim Outhouse goes by Navy Chief... so I thought you might be him.

I moved to Delaware in 2005 and bought my 66 GTO in 07. I've been up the Delaware County Community College car show just about every year since 07. I'm sure you've been to that one put on by the PA Historical Car Club. Do you remember a BRGreen MGB with a Nailhead 215 V8 in it? That was a buddy of mine that moved to Nebraska.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are probably going to be disappointed if you compare the car scene to the Midwest, BUT we try!

We have a couple of good Pontiac nuts in Lafayette, "punch37" and "72LuxuryLeMansLa."

I live up in the Nawth, but do come to Lafayette about once a month. Lived there for 33 years. PM me your tel # and we'll get together to drink coffee and tell lies about our Pontiacs. We like to meet at Borden's on Jefferson St., best banana splits ever made.

Charles

Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM

I don't have any info for Lafayette but I was in the navy. What do you do for the Navy, Chief? I was a Data Systems Petty Office 2nd class.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Those websites are for the Silent Hunter sims, and flight sims like Flight Simulator X. One of the guys on Sim Outhouse goes by Navy Chief... so I thought you might be him.

I moved to Delaware in 2005 and bought my 66 GTO in 07. I've been up the Delaware County Community College car show just about every year since 07. I'm sure you've been to that one put on by the PA Historical Car Club. Do you remember a BRGreen MGB with a Nailhead 215 V8 in it? That was a buddy of mine that moved to Nebraska.
Not much of a gamer but I can see how you tought I might have been that other Navy Chief, there are quite a few of us that use that name. As far as your buddy with the MG I never got the pleasure of knowing him even tho I went to a lot of shows and cruises all over PA, South Jersey and Delaware and I too own a 66 GTO original Wilmington DE. car bought new in Union Pontiac, I still own this car and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 267[1] (2).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	348234  

Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
You are probably going to be disappointed if you compare the car scene to the Midwest, BUT we try!

We have a couple of good Pontiac nuts in Lafayette, "punch37" and "72LuxuryLeMansLa."

I live up in the Nawth, but do come to Lafayette about once a month. Lived there for 33 years. PM me your tel # and we'll get together to drink coffee and tell lies about our Pontiacs. We like to meet at Borden's on Jefferson St., best banana splits ever made.

Charles
Old Goat, at least if there is something to do and hang out with other gearheads I am good with that, they do not have to be strictly Pontiac's I also own a Mopar and a couple of Fords. Here up north it slows down almost to a halt because of the cold and snow so I am hoping for more year round cruising. I will be moving down there in the June_Jul time frame.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rutledge View Post
I don't have any info for Lafayette but I was in the navy. What do you do for the Navy, Chief? I was a Data Systems Petty Office 2nd class.
Hey there shipmate, I am a Hospital Corpsman, I have been in the NAvy 31 years, Came in Delated entry May 1982, Boot Camp Great Lakes Jan 1983 how bout you.
Thank you for your service.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM

I was in for 6. Delayed entry program in 1988 myself for 6 months. Data Systems tech bootcamp in San Diego. Thanks for yours as well

Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Hey there shipmate, I am a Hospital Corpsman,
Yay, DOC!

HM2/USN 1966-70, VN 1967-8

Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Yay, DOC!

HM2/USN 1966-70, VN 1967-8

Good to meet you Bob Dillon "DOC" HOORAHH!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well... thank you all for your service.

Chief, will you be stopping in around here on your way to Lafayette? If so let me know and we can meet up for a coffee someplace around here.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well... thank you all for your service.

Chief, will you be stopping in around here on your way to Lafayette? If so let me know and we can meet up for a coffee someplace around here.
Maybe I will I do have friends in the area and even down in Wilmington I have been meaning to visit, maybe you know him, Pete Denesovich, drives a 68 Verdoro Green GTO Conv.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

His name does sound familiar Chief. If you do get out this way... and have the Goat with ya... we'll have to get your buddies together and hit a car show or Cruise Night. Here's a thought...... Do it in July for the PY show in Hatfield.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
His name does sound familiar Chief. If you do get out this way... and have the Goat with ya... we'll have to get your buddies together and hit a car show or Cruise Night. Here's a thought...... Do it in July for the PY show in Hatfield.
I have been wanting to go to that show, will have to see if time allows it.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is one you don't want to miss. Especially if you'll end up being in Louisianna.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
I live up in the Nawth, but do come to Lafayette about once a month. Lived there for 33 years. PM me your tel # and we'll get together to drink coffee and tell lies about our Pontiacs.
Charles
Navy Chief is a good one for that getting together and shooting the breeze about cars... I knew him from the Tidewater Trans Am Club and the Jenro's car show every Saturday night in Virginia Beach in the 90's. He was the first guy to glance at my '77 and ask what I'd done to it, as '77s weren't available with the Fisher Body T-Tops I had in mine. I came to find out that he was a great source of information on Pontiacs, and enjoyed hanging out with him and the other Trans Am guys in the area.

Hope you enjoy life in the sunny south, Leo!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Navy Chief is a good one for that getting together and shooting the breeze about cars... I knew him from the Tidewater Trans Am Club and the Jenro's car show every Saturday night in Virginia Beach in the 90's. He was the first guy to glance at my '77 and ask what I'd done to it, as '77s weren't available with the Fisher Body T-Tops I had in mine. I came to find out that he was a great source of information on Pontiacs, and enjoyed hanging out with him and the other Trans Am guys in the area.

Hope you enjoy life in the sunny south, Leo!
Thanks Mike, we did have some good times back in the 90s in Virginia Beach, I remember them fondly. Hope to make new memories in Louisiana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232323232%7Ffp; 3)nu=6959)479)258)WSNRCG=35; 9 ;6335nu0mrj.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	348439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leo2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	348440  

Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You`ll be an outcast down here. Chebbie and Ford country here. There`s still mixed shows down here. It`s not like it used to be though. The Mopar show used to be big here but, haven`t seen it in a while.

The 2 tracks nearby are;

http://www.statecapitolraceway.com/

http://www.noproblemraceway.com/

The 2`nd one was on the tv show "Pass Time" a few times.

Most folks trash talk here.

http://www.racepics.net/board/