Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 AM

Default In Search of the Elusive Sandalwood Tree

I have a 70 Formula 400 R/A III, Atoll Blue w/ (217) Sandalwood interior, build date 04B (Yes, I bought it from Jack Nichols...pic in the customer rides section)

I want to take the restoration to a much a higher level, but I need some help from the experts. The first issue I'll burden you with is regarding the poorly documented correctness of the 1970 Firebird sandalwood interior. Are there any known original examples of the sandalwood carpeting? The closest I have come is a brief glimpse of a sandalwood interior car in the 1970 firebird commercial as seen on youtube. The carpeting is shadowed and very hard to make out. The aftermarket carpets vary from a grey tone to beige to an ugly and poorly matched saddle color like the 26K mile, all original timecapsule (yea I'm being sarcastic) that's been listed for at least a year now with a $40K pricetag! That interior isn't even close to correct or original. Makes me wonder about the mileage...anyway, I digress.

Here is what has me most perplexed: My car has black carpet and lower door trim that appears original. The door panels are original. It was on the car, worn, faded and appeared original when Jack bought it in 1999. The 69 Firebird was parchment (very close to Sandalwood) with black carpeting. This combo showed up again in 72 with the ivory interior. By rule, all other colors were uniform throughout Firebird interiors. There were no parchment, white or ivory interiors in 70 -71. The closest color to that would have been sandalwood. On all T/A's and Formulas ordered with a formula steering wheel, the steering column is black, not color coordinated to the interior like the rest. Could this have created a rare exception with the custom sandalwood interior on the formulas with formula wheel?

Has anyone ever seen black carpet on a 70 custom sandalwood Firebird w/ formula wheel? Could it/would it have been possible? Could it have been installed haphazzardly or due to shartage at the Norwood plant where there would have been an abundance of black carpeting and likely for less of the sandalwood?

Lastly, if there is no chance it could have been black and/or no way for me to varify if the carpeting in my car now is original or aftermarket, can anyone polint me in the right direction for correct 1970 Firebird sandalwood carpet? If no one can help me there is it better to convince myself of a longshot and stick with black or roll the dice on the many shades of sandalwood?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know its probably not there, but if I recall correctly, factory carpet had a tag (paper???) attached with date and other info on it located on the underside of the carpet near an edge...perhaps if your carpet is in good enough condition that tag is still there?
Also, you could try examining the rear of the any of the sections where the carpet is retained and covered by trim...see if there is any indication of a strands from a different colour carpet stuck to sound deadening or sealer etc....a bit "CSI" but you may luck out enough to know a different colour than black was once in the car...if indeed it wasn't originally black.
Good luck with the project, sounds like an interesting car thats for sure.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

The attached picture is of an all original, low mileage, 1 owner car with a deluxe Sandlewood interior. The carpet is a light brown color, both on the floor and the door bottoms. I am not saying that this is the only way they came. As we all know, things changed depending on the build plant, what was available from suppliers, and even week to week and day to day on the assembly line.

Last edited by tabob; 01-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70FormulaRAIII View Post
I have a 70 Formula 400 R/A III, Atoll Blue w/ (217) Sandalwood interior, build date 04B (Yes, I bought it from Jack Nichols...pic in the customer rides section)

I want to take the restoration to a much a higher level, but I need some help from the experts. The first issue I'll burden you with is regarding the poorly documented correctness of the 1970 Firebird sandalwood interior. Are there any known original examples of the sandalwood carpeting? The closest I have come is a brief glimpse of a sandalwood interior car in the 1970 firebird commercial as seen on youtube. The carpeting is shadowed and very hard to make out. The aftermarket carpets vary from a grey tone to beige to an ugly and poorly matched saddle color like the 26K mile, all original timecapsule (yea I'm being sarcastic) that's been listed for at least a year now with a $40K pricetag! That interior isn't even close to correct or original. Makes me wonder about the mileage...anyway, I digress.

Here is what has me most perplexed: My car has black carpet and lower door trim that appears original. The door panels are original. It was on the car, worn, faded and appeared original when Jack bought it in 1999. The 69 Firebird was parchment (very close to Sandalwood) with black carpeting. This combo showed up again in 72 with the ivory interior. By rule, all other colors were uniform throughout Firebird interiors. There were no parchment, white or ivory interiors in 70 -71. The closest color to that would have been sandalwood. On all T/A's and Formulas ordered with a formula steering wheel, the steering column is black, not color coordinated to the interior like the rest. Could this have created a rare exception with the custom sandalwood interior on the formulas with formula wheel?

Has anyone ever seen black carpet on a 70 custom sandalwood Firebird w/ formula wheel? Could it/would it have been possible? Could it have been installed haphazzardly or due to shartage at the Norwood plant where there would have been an abundance of black carpeting and likely for less of the sandalwood?

Lastly, if there is no chance it could have been black and/or no way for me to varify if the carpeting in my car now is original or aftermarket, can anyone polint me in the right direction for correct 1970 Firebird sandalwood carpet? If no one can help me there is it better to convince myself of a longshot and stick with black or roll the dice on the many shades of sandalwood?

Thanks
No white interiors in a 71 bird ? I've seen a few .

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Thank you for the excellent pic! Do you know if that console lid is a little lighter and matched to the seat vinyl or is it the same color as the console?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

LeighP,

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that original carpets had date code tags on the back. If this one doesn't have one then mystery solved. Big help, Thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great car you bought. Jack and I were parked next to each other at Norwalk 9 or 10 years ago, so I've seen it before (he had literally just finished the restoration days before).

I recall having the discussion even then with Jack about the black carpet... he seemed a little unsure given the condition of the car when he got it, but went with black since that's what was in the car and he didn't have any other good references at the time. Keep in mind that was in the days before online reference images were as easy to find.

I've looked at a LOT of '70 sandalwood interiors over the years, and I can tell you that's the ONLY one I've ever seen with black carpet and lower door trim. A lot of these cars had already had some interior work done by the time they were 30 years old... the interiors on these cars weren't very robust.

It might even have been done by the original purchaser when the car was new because he/she didin't like the original sandalwood carpet color. The original carpet color has an element of orange to it that, to my eye, doesn't quite go with the rest of the interior... particulary in a blue car. And if someone had ordered the car based on a brochure image (I think it's very possible yours was special ordered, given the high option content), they wouldn't have known from the dealer trim samples and interior images that they were getting an orange carpet!

On your other question, the console lid should match the console, which should match the dash. Dash, console, and kick panels were a medium caramel color. The seats, door trim, rear side trim, and headliner were the light cream color.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm redoing my interior right now and staying with the deluxe sandlewood. I don't think the car you refer to (currently for sale again?) has the correct color carpet, it looks brown to me, and I agree with Keith's assessment that the original had red in it, but personally I prefer the look of the brown over the reddish one since it goes better with the dash/console color.

I had difficulty matching the dark sandlewood paint for the metal part of the dash and steering column. The codes on the paint chips are lacquer which can't be purchased in urban areas out here in California. But, I found a paint store in a rural county who ordered the materials and mixed the paint for me. It turned out to be a perfect match. My local paint store can now match the dye for the vinyl and plastic pieces in SEM products using the lacquer paint. For the lighter sandlewood color I just ordered the rattle can stuff from Ames because they claim it was mixed to match the PUI interior materials.

FWIW, I've had a picture of your car for years and love the color combo. I thought real hard about changing mine from castillian bronze to atoll blue.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but my 71 TA has black carpet and dash with it white or parchment seats and door panels, the weird thing about it is its a blue car and has blue lower kick panels. And can supply pictures if needed, Have not had it apart yet but I think its all original, the back panels are white or parchment also with the stitching in them. Somebody told me at some point this was called tuxedo

73 T/A 455/Auto/Air
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
The original carpet color has an element of orange to it that, to my eye, doesn't quite go with the rest of the interior... particulary in a blue car. And if someone had ordered the car based on a brochure image (I think it's very possible yours was special ordered, given the high option content), they wouldn't have known from the dealer trim samples and interior images that they were getting an orange carpet!

On your other question, the console lid should match the console, which should match the dash. Dash, console, and kick panels were a medium caramel color. The seats, door trim, rear side trim, and headliner were the light cream color.
Hey Kieth, glad for the reply! Her name is Christeen now because my wife is convinced the car wants to kill her. lol..at least I don't have to worry her trying to drive my baby anymore Hey that poor car had to wait 40 years for me to find her. can ya blame her?

Anyway, there is no way I can go with that hideous color in this car. I was hoping that wasn't the correct shade. It doesn't make since why this would be the only interior in 1970 that Pontiac screwed up. Maybe all the owners with sandalwood interior will join me in a mutiny and switch to black carpet. All in favor say Aye

Jack had the console lid matched to the seats in this car so I'll have to change that. Otherwise everything else seems to be in order. Thanks for help, Kieth

Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
I'm redoing my interior right now and staying with the deluxe sandlewood. I don't think the car you refer to (currently for sale again?) has the correct color carpet, it looks brown to me, and I agree with Keith's assessment that the original had red in it, but personally I prefer the look of the brown over the reddish one since it goes better with the dash/console color.

I had difficulty matching the dark sandlewood paint for the metal part of the dash and steering column. The codes on the paint chips are lacquer which can't be purchased in urban areas out here in California. But, I found a paint store in a rural county who ordered the materials and mixed the paint for me. It turned out to be a perfect match. My local paint store can now match the dye for the vinyl and plastic pieces in SEM products using the lacquer paint. For the lighter sandlewood color I just ordered the rattle can stuff from Ames because they claim it was mixed to match the PUI interior materials.

FWIW, I've had a picture of your car for years and love the color combo. I thought real hard about changing mine from castillian bronze to atoll blue.
Would you mind posting the contact info for your paint store?

What are you doing for carpet? Have you settled on a vendor? Just so that I can see for myself what it looks like, do you know who carries a correct on the original sandalwood?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilder9 View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but my 71 TA has black carpet and dash with it white or parchment seats and door panels, the weird thing about it is its a blue car and has blue lower kick panels. And can supply pictures if needed, Have not had it apart yet but I think its all original, the back panels are white or parchment also with the stitching in them. Somebody told me at some point this was called tuxedo
That sounds really cool. I would love to see some pics. What does the trim tag say?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
No white interiors in a 71 bird ? I've seen a few .
Correction: 1971 code (212) Ivory white (Custom)

!970 was the only year that a shade of white (parchment, ivory, white & oyster) was not available with black trim.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 AM

From 1967-1981
I didn't check beyond that.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That sounds really cool. I would love to see some pics. What does the trim tag say?
The pics I have are not great, Need to take time to take some good ones, Also I don't have any of the kick panels. Here is what I do have. Will get more sometime this week, car is in brothers garage. Also here is a pic of cowl tag and it says 212 for interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	193107   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	193108   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0835.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	193109   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0891.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	193110  

73 T/A 455/Auto/Air
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a few more pics of interior I found. The last two do show the kick panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	js640_IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	193111   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	193112   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	193113   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	193114   Click image for larger version

Name:	js640_IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	193115  

73 T/A 455/Auto/Air

Last edited by wwilder9; 01-06-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gives new meaning to "thick wheel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilder9 View Post
Here is a few more pics of interior I found. The last two do show the kick panels.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Gives new meaning to "thick wheel."
Yea, I'm almost afraid to see whats under all that electrical tape.

73 T/A 455/Auto/Air
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Thanks
Is this the time capsule your talking about with the incorrect interior ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...item4a9d81738c

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that is it, but here is a picture from a previous posting which isn't included in this ad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sandlewood_Int.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	193132