Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Crane H/R lifter push rod height

I am looking for the distance dimension from the roller to the push rod seat on the Crane
H/R roller lifter. Also, does anybody have this dimension for the Comp/Crower H/R lifter?

Thanks in advance

Karguy

Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

Should be one of the following. 8.800, 8.850, depending on heads and valves used.

Be Cool,
Ace

Old 11-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are you asking for push-rod length or the roller wheel to push rod seat dimension?

The bottom of the roller wheel to the bottom of the pushrod seat is approximately 2.350" on my new Crane HRs.

1967 Firebird ragtop, 464, Weiand 8-71, ported 6H heads, Hyd roller, 4L80E, paddle shifter, Moser 9", Cal-Tracs, Vintage Air, Corbeau seats, 13"/12" disk brakes, Hydraboost, electric cutouts and M&H drag radials.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Be sure that you are getting Pontiac lifters! Many a Pontiac guys has had disastrous results of getting SBC lifters and lost the whole motor or at least serious damage was the result. They are hard to tell the difference, but the oil holes dont line up for proper oiling.

With the advent of the new racing lifters there are more serious issues. After a lifter failure three years ago, we started investigating Pontiac roller lifter limits:

Crane Roller 650 lbs max
Comp Roller 750 lbs max
Crower Roller 900 lbs max
Crower Hippo 1250 max

The Hippo designation will always have an "H" in the part number. They have an oil hole drilled from the oiling annual area down to the axle thus providing lubrication for the additional pressure capability. We just ordered a set for example they are 66295H-16. These happen to be the lastest and the greatest off-set roller. These are with the bigger axle, higher tensile strength metal, and list for around $636 a set list.

If that is a bit pricey the last ones were 66260H-16 (regular offset) for a little cheaper for around $500 list. A WD supplier makes about $200 on these if they sell for list, so you should get them for around $80-$100 off list.

Lynn

Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM

Sporter,

I wanted what you gave me . The other information is usefull also.

Thanks to all

Karguy

Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRASuperStock455SD
Be sure that you are getting Pontiac lifters! Many a Pontiac guys has had disastrous results of getting SBC lifters...
The question concerned Crane H/R lifters, for which there's a specific part# for Pontiac. Crane knows the difference- since at least 1958, when I bought my first cam & lifters from them.
That said, I'm not denying that any engine buiildup should include double-checking where the oil band falls in relation to the lifter bores' oil holes.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Oops- I see that he also asked about Comp and Crower H/R lifters.