THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Don’t dare chirp your tires!

Thanks to the tuner “sideshow” crowd, the city of Sparks, NV is about to pass new legislation really cracking down on basically anyone not obeying the speed limit, and anybody intentionally watching the car(s).

Yeah of course “Exhibition of Speed” is nothing new, and they are really after the kids driving Hondas, Subarus and late model muscle cars and anybody watching or assisting the sideshow, as opposed to true classics, but yikes! Don’t accidentally slip the clutch with an officer within earshot because the door is wide open for him to write you up!

However they are correct to crack down on the sideshow BS, it really is out of hand around here. The police recently busted a huge event in Reno and the invites on social media brought dozens of tuners from 5 different states and hundreds of miles away!

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...07650c.pdf.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-10-2023, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We had 200 cars take over our town for about 30 min. Ricers tearing it up blowing donuts in all the businesses a few weeks back. It’s a THING around here lately. Hoonigans I’d believe .

On the one hand I was happy to see kids into cars, on the other hand I was a bit worried about safety as my cousins 16 year old was just hit head on and killed in an accident. It’s a fine line between being car guys and being assholes .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crack down on the Subwoofers.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just kind of wince when I see that stuff ... because I remember full well the organized street drag races we had in Memphis back in the 70's. Dang near any straight stretch of road more than a 1/4" mile long had Start/Finish lines painted on it.

At 17 I got my ticket for drag racing (got it reduced to wreakless driving) and spent and afternoon the County lockup and an impounded 68 GTO. The local public parks on Sat. and Sunday could turn into bumper to bumper smoke shows.

So I try hard not to go geezer on the kids these days. I had shoulder length hair, bell bottoms and drove like an idiot and I turned out OK

Old 04-10-2023, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I agree.. I can deal with loud exhaust.. people doing donuts.... burnouts.... etc..

I can't stand loud cRap music. Also hear a lot of loud... really loud annoying mexican music around here. Mexican music reminds me of Lawrence Welk polka music... which I hate..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tend to share the sentiment that I did dumb stuff when I was younger so I try not to get mad about it. I told myself when I bought my first house that if kid knocked down my mailbox I had it coming.

That said, I just wish people would be smarter about it. Around here it’s the diesel truck crowd that gives all other car people bad names. Blowing black smoke from stoplights for no reason. Doing parking lot burnouts at gatherings. Just super high visibility shenanigans.

Nobody is saying not to have fun. Just don’t do it where Karen can see you from her booth at Dennys and clutch her pearls. And especially don’t do it in a crowd where if the c clip axle gives out on your crappy 1978 longbed the wheel doesn’t shoot out and hurt somebody.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You old guys who were out drag racing on back roads in your youth were different than what goes on today - these kids will commandeer a busy intersection and hold up traffic, doing donuts while they're hanging out the car window (and sometimes also shooting off guns in the air), all of it in front of hundreds of spectators. When you were out on that back road in your youth you risked killing yourself, they're risking injury and death for many others. There were a couple bystanders who were killed here last summer during these 'events' when they got hit by the cars.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:20 PM
Senior Chief

Public displays of "exhibition of speed" aren't new. I blew off the tires in my first 69 Bird 43 years ago. According to the police report I left a "56 foot blackened wheel skid mark", then evaded police offers (successfully), but was ratted out by a neighbor when I parked the Bird, and they took me to jail. My Mom had to come bail me out. She threw a fit (good 'ol Mom!) at the police.

Did my son hit anyone with his car? No.
Did he cause another accident? No.
Exactly what did he do? He performed a burnout, evaded police officers and was driving recklessly.
So, his car is faster than yours and you're throwing him in jail, correct? Yes, ma'am.
Did anyone get killed or are you just embarrassed? (no answer)

I got bailed out, Mom scolded me, and she gave me a ride back to my apartment. Long story short, don't cause a wreck, kill anyone or make the police look bad.

I've seen the "street takeover" videos. I never thought doing a donut in a circle three times was a really awesome thing...but if you can't outrun the police, it may be the kids only option.

Still don't approve of it. Have the horsepower you need to make a clean getaway or don't do it at all. And get off my lawn! LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:22 PM
Boost Engineer

AFTER 4 KIDS WERE KILLED WHEN THEY RAN INTO A TREE IN A DODGE, the marshal of
the town organized a once a month drag race event on a local stretch of 2 lane blacktop.
(I have posted about this in the past.) Deputies blocked off both ends of the valley where the action was taking place. The Marshal was a transplant from the state of California and knew a lot about making cars quicker.

You act like an idiot and you spend the night or week-end in jail. Only took a couple of
jerks in the jail for people to play nice at his "events".

Today, in Michigan the cops set up road blocks everyplace where the illegal racing is taking place and then grab the cars as they are trying to leave town.

You lose your car and trailer, you are not talking "small change".

Tom V.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:52 PM
Senior Chief

I had a lot in Sparks which I was going to build a house on, but the City of Sparks (and the HOA) refused to let me build two four car garages because I exceeded the "building envelope" by 105 sf. In light of this post, I'm glad we sold the lot and moved to Prescott, AZ.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you expect when the guys from "Roadkill", "Fast and Loud" etc always have to show you how they can do donuts and smoke their tires on every show. I could do that too but I like my car too much.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

My buddies and I did all of our stupid youth crap deep in the backroads where the only things annoyed and at risk was nature.

I wouldn't mind curtailing loud music and loud pipes (especially motorcycles), either.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why do Harleys get a free pass?

Old 04-12-2023, 05:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I rode Harleys and other motorcycles my whole life, and still do.

Anyone that's ever rode more than a couple of hours straight doesn't want loud pipes .. that's a totally poser thing. The drone of loud pipes on a four hour ride is mind numbing, specially if anyone you are riding with has them in front of you.

Much like a car, I don't want silence, but I don't want anything assaulting my ears. Believe me, people that actually ride any length at all don't want loud pipes ... that's for the posers that ride to the coffee shop and back home.

I live out in the country and we have a gaggle of kids on dirt bikes that buzz up and down the road all summer ... which I don't mind, often the only way to get from one trail head to another ... but most of these kids are the "dirt bikes on the street" crowd ... open pipes, absolutely wide open throttle all the way down the road.

But ... I'll fight being a miserable old codger as long as I live. I have it WAY better than most of these kids ... far be it from me to curtail their fun, or danger, they'll learn their lessons just like I did, some of them will learn very hard lessons.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These kinds of 'kids' have shut down the busiest interstates in Atlanta several times. These shutdowns are planned and organized. They have enough participants to park their cars abreast, blocking all lanes while their buddies do donuts and make videos of it all. They are rarely caught because the interstates are so backed up that the cops can't get there before they scatter. I think that the only arrests have occurred because the idiots post their videos on social media.
We also have these roving mobs of trail bike and four-wheeler riders who do the same thing in the downtown areas. When the cops show up they scatter in every direction jumping curbs riding through parks, on the sidewalks, whatever. I think it's all beyond a little harmless fun myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Boost Engineer

The first year of the CAR CRAFT Street Machine Nationals in Indy Police had a very good method of stopping the BS on the street.

1) You light up your tires, the cops (who carried baseball bats) came out of the crowd and beat on the doors and fenders "to get the drivers attention that they wanted to talk to him". A few drivers came out ready to kill for the damage to their cars and the police arrested those drivers/owners.

THAT STOPPED THAT BS IN ITS TRACKS AND THE EVENT WAS MUCH QUIETER THE SECOND NIGHT.

Something for the owners of the cars to be aware of. It was all legal too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=dataway;6420422]I rode Harleys and other motorcycles my whole life, and still do.

Even if some of 'em are midlife crisis posers they still get a flree pass for an open exhaust which is completely obnoxious.

If I had an open exhaust on my bird they'd trow me in the hooshgow...and impound me car

Maybe the bikers own this town...wouldn't be surprised lol

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Too funny! Was at a car show and 3 Hondas were running the whole show, just to make sure their battery did not die from running their Subwoofers..

Old 04-12-2023, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at a cruise a few weeks ago and they had a guy there playing music through a PA...standard procedure. That didn't stop two separate groups from playing their own music as loudly as possible from their cars. We had Classic Rock, Mariachi and Hip-Hop all going at once and LOUD.
Add to that a group of late model 6 cylinder Mustang owners, with what sounded like no mufflers installed, revving their engines in unison every 5 minutes!
I swear that you literally couldn't hold a conversation with someone standing right next to you.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Why do Harleys get a free pass?

Some will argue that it’s for safety’s sake. They do have a point. Others will say it’s merely “compensation” hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk