Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You’ll be borderline on the street. Upgrade if you hit the track. My old 470 ish hp 455 did well on the street. At the track, it would pop through the air cleaner just before the line at the top end. Pulled the plugs. All white like a bed sheet.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Is the situation different for EFI? With an in-tank EFI pump is the goal to maintain the fuel pressure required at the throttle body and sizing the fuel line to meet said PSI?
I don't have a bunch of experience with EFI at the track other than racing LS engines back in the 90's and early 2000's. All those vehicles had smallish factory fuel lines, but they also pump 58 psi fuel pressure too. I ran them into the 11's and near 120 mph without issue but I did upgrade the factory in tank pumps. Others were going even faster with them back then.

Pressure is one thing, volume is another, I'm sure you're aware.

Whether it matters or not, when I'm doing a moderately high HP EFI build, I just run the 1/2" lines to and from and be done with it. One reason is because I'm typically replacing fuel lines on a build anyway, so I just upgrade to 1/2", the cost is the same.

Ironically both of our current EFI cars (one running 10's and the other 11's) already had 1/2" lines and in tank pumps when they had carbs, so all of that was left in place when the switch to EFI was made.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Like has been mentioned, most will get away with smaller 3/8 line and never know there is a fuel delivery problem on the street, as most here don't bother or even worry about track performance, but will quickly find out there is ET and MPH to be found in that area as soon as they hit the track.

In nearly every scenario when I've been involved with a decent running street car, they've benefitted from 1/2" line and a good pump feeding it. Surprising the amount of people that spend a bunch of money on engines, worry about the HP they make, then skimp on the fuel delivery system. We've all done that, myself included. I quickly found decades ago as power level keeps increasing the fuel delivery becomes a key player. These days right off the bat I just spend the money and shoot for an in tank pump and 1/2" lines and call it done so I never have to revisit it again as the car evolves further.
Thats a very good point. And when put like that I guess it's a no brainer to upgrade with all the money going everywhere else to.make power. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skippy597 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to convert my number I posted, so yes 120GPH will support 500 Hp.
Need to figure in 6 lbs/gal, so 41.6 gph

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2023, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I was taught when you want to run 12's you need to upgrade to 1/2 inch fuel line....that was forty years ago and pump technology has changed a bunch but that rule never failed me.

At 500 HP I'd think 1/2 would be helpful. I ran 1/2 with a hidden baffled pick up drawing from the front of the tank with a Holley blue pump for years. That worked fine for low ten second ET's but once we upgraded to nine second power I added a sump and better fuel pump to make things happy.
Paul,
What fuel setup do you have on that pretty light blue TA of yours?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-27-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send Caster1 a DM and ask him about his setup, it has a 1/2 pickup and a few other mods. Its pretty sick.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Paul,
What fuel setup do you have on that pretty light blue TA of yours?
That's the car I was talking about. I always wanted that car to look "stock". For years I ran two Holley blue pumps. One through the factory 3/8 line for the nitrous and one for the motor side. I added a peice of .500 tubing that entered the front of the tank but ran to the rear. That set up worked well when the car ran bottom 11's and low tens on spray. When we upped the power it became inconsistant and the pressure gauge moved around more than I liked. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction so I ended up installing a new tank with a sump.... Now I need to build another car to use the old tank

Old 09-28-2023, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty simple to make them look stock with a little thought and time.

I use the Tanks Inc tanks with the pump in the tank. No sumps hanging down. I run the 1/2" line, sometimes using stainless pre bent stuff from places like Inline or Right Stuff, which gives the appearance of stock if anyone cared to crawl under the car.

I then keep the stock mechanical pump in place if it's visible (like a Chevrolet) and keep the stock steel lines running to the carb or EFI, although it's all dummy stuff with the line soldered shut.

The 1/2" line I hide in the back where it can't be seen.

Look under the car or open the hood and it looks like a typical street car with a mechanical pump but it actually has a fuel system that'll support 1000+ HP depending on which pump I put in the tank

Old 09-28-2023, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Pretty simple to make them look stock with a little thought and time.

I use the Tanks Inc tanks with the pump in the tank. No sumps hanging down. I run the 1/2" line, sometimes using stainless pre bent stuff from places like Inline or Right Stuff, which gives the appearance of stock if anyone cared to crawl under the car.

I then keep the stock mechanical pump in place if it's visible (like a Chevrolet) and keep the stock steel lines running to the carb or EFI, although it's all dummy stuff with the line soldered shut.

The 1/2" line I hide in the back where it can't be seen.

Look under the car or open the hood and it looks like a typical street car with a mechanical pump but it actually has a fuel system that'll support 1000+ HP depending on which pump I put in the tank
Agree..... None of that was an option in mid 90's when I modified my fuel tank. Billet fuel pumps were just coming out. Most folks used the BG pumps and they didn't recommend them for any type of street use. We tried a Mallory 250 three different times and it never worked. Mallory tried three stabs at fixing it and it still failed.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Agree..... None of that was an option in mid 90's when I modified my fuel tank. Billet fuel pumps were just coming out. Most folks used the BG pumps and they didn't recommend them for any type of street use. We tried a Mallory 250 three different times and it never worked. Mallory tried three stabs at fixing it and it still failed.
Understand, I did a lot of the same things back then, that's all we had. Can't tell you how many times I had to rebuild that damn mallory pump lol. They tend to start complaining after a while of continuous street use. Always had to replace brushes in the things.

They make it so easy these days with these fuel systems, it's like modern car stuff. Problem is.....none of it's cheap.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:48 PM

Ok so I got a robbmc 1/2" pickup and inline tube 1/2" fuel line on the way. Now my question is do I need to get a 1/2" carb feed line from the pump or will the robbmc pump supply suffecient pressure with a 3/8" line.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skippy597 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive done 3/8 from the pump to carb or the regulator to carb to make things look stock and works fine. 1/2" is always better but the most important thing with a mechanical pump is having the larger feed line on the suction side because they aren't good at sucking, that's a long distance and making it as easy as you can on the pump with larger line helps that scenario.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed the bigger pump to carb line isnt always required, but, if you have a Q-jet & dont care about an original looking/size line, using a 1/2" or -8 AN line will provide a little more fuel from pump to carb if that matters. Its easy to run a -8 line from the robbmc pump outlet to the carb using one of cliffs -8 AN fitting & high flow marine filter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Agreed the bigger pump to carb line isnt always required, but, if you have a Q-jet & dont care about an original looking/size line, using a 1/2" or -8 AN line will provide a little more fuel from pump to carb if that matters. Its easy to run a -8 line from the robbmc pump outlet to the carb using one of cliffs -8 AN fitting & high flow marine filter.
This is very timely for me, very. My RobbMC came this week and I took out the old pump last night. I've been making a plan for needed fittings and was about to head out to the garage and check about the routing to the carb. The 3/8 outlet comes out the opposite side of the pump's inlet so it looks like I'll be using a 90 degree fitting to come out and straight up. Summit has a line (PTFE) by Fragola with this fitting feature already as assembly. I was going to determine if the line would fit through the factory routing between power steering pump bracket and timing chain cover. I, however, don't know the 3/8 line O.D. nor the bend radii of the line to see if this is possible. This obviously has everything to do with picking the correct line length as well. If I can't snake a 3/8 line through the original routing and have to find a different path I will go with a 1/2 line but where does it run? It must come up around the outside of the alternator and over or behind it over the valve cover? Im not concerned about original routing but am very cautious of moving parts (fan, pulleys, belts, alternator and pump adjustment) and electrical and headers....You already know that....Does anyone have a hint or even a picture?

Old 10-27-2023, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an older version of the robbmc 1100 pump, not sure if the inlet/outlets are the same as newer models or the 550, but I used a summit or fragola brand curved 90 AN fitting on the outlet then ran the -8 braided hose up behind the p/s pump & alternator basically where the stock metal 3/8 line runs, -8 line is about 1/2" OD so its a lot bigger than 3/8 line, it slides through that area easily and is nowhere near moving parts or belts, its rigid ennough that it stays in place... i even added a small regulator to it that sits near the T-stat housing freely suspended with no bracket. i can get some pics of how its routed but its really pretty basic.

Dont forget the robbmc pump is clockable so you can adjust where the inlet/outlets are somewhat.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 09:46 PM

Thank you 78w72, pictures not needed, I see that a 1/2" OD line will fit through there fine and it sounds like it will be able to take the slight curves necessary to hook up and not kink or anything like that. Do you have an in-line filter along with the regulator too? I've usually used in-lines as it seems the in-housing filters (short/long) are so small but I see that Cliff sells pleated filters so they must be able to do the job. It would be a cleaner instl without.

The clockability is a cool feature. I'm really impressed with the quality and heft of the unit.

Just an FYI, the pump I took out had the outlet (bottom) on the same side of the pump as the inlet (1969 428) and I also looked at the pump on the 1969 400 in my other car and the outlet is on the opposite side of the pump. I would not claim either configuration is original or correct or whatever but the lines for both go up between timing chain cover/pump bracket/head.

thank you for your help

Old 10-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleO View Post
Thank you 78w72, pictures not needed, I see that a 1/2" OD line will fit through there fine and it sounds like it will be able to take the slight curves necessary to hook up and not kink or anything like that. Do you have an in-line filter along with the regulator too? I've usually used in-lines as it seems the in-housing filters (short/long) are so small but I see that Cliff sells pleated filters so they must be able to do the job. It would be a cleaner instl without.

The clockability is a cool feature. I'm really impressed with the quality and heft of the unit.

Just an FYI, the pump I took out had the outlet (bottom) on the same side of the pump as the inlet (1969 428) and I also looked at the pump on the 1969 400 in my other car and the outlet is on the opposite side of the pump. I would not claim either configuration is original or correct or whatever but the lines for both go up between timing chain cover/pump bracket/head.

thank you for your help
Yes a 1/2" line will fit like the factory routing, even a custom made steel 1/2" line should fit but the braided line makes its an almost straight run under the p/s pump & under/behind the alt with nothing even close to kinking... i did put a slit piece of heater hose over the line where it barely rests against the alt bracket just to be safe but no sign of any issues after 7-8 years. Can also put a section of heat shield on the line if thats a concern but ive never had any heat related issues with fuel.

I have filters, one bigger tanksinc right after the tank then just use the marine screen type right before the carb, cliffs AN fitting uses the high flow marine screen type, im sure you can use the factory pleated paper type too but the marine filter is supposed to flow better. I have checked both filters a couple times after years of use and the carb one is always spotless and so is the bigger one but it has a brass element so harder to see if there are any small specs in it, looks totally clean to me, i do have a new tank so no debris to get churned up. I dont have or feel the need for any other inline filters.

Heres a pic just to show the carb AN fitting & how the line is ran, i have since shortened the line a bit & now run a regulator for when I want to dial the 1100 pump up to a higher psi for track use but a regulator shouldnt be needed for most carbs with the 550 pump since its set at ~7psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	622385  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2023, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done 1/2" steel line from pump to carb on some installs. It fits and works. Just a little tedious and time consuming but it all is really.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 06:33 PM

Thank you 78w72 and Formulajones. My plan is in place and putting the parts list together.