Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-30-2023, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Sitting at local tire shop getting new tires for TA.Im 'helping get in the way'. Owner got delivery from NAPA. Cut open case of oil filters,Made In Vietnam ' I said wow, guy said we have to pay them someway for the conflict'. Middle east will be next he said.
I thought Fram being made in USA and Ohio would be good filters esp the HPs which I used for years.
It is a little surprising the number of products that come to the US from Vietnam. Off the top of my head, engine mounts, tires, front end suspension parts, door lock, actuators, T-shirts, underwear, socks, plumbing supplies and lots of other stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
As quickly as this appears here oil filters (among other things) are shifting to cheaper quality and off-shore production.

I'm down to using Baldwin/Hastings. I'll save you the research, nothing much better out there and still made in the USA.

For the Pontiac engines the B-39 is what I've used here dating back as far as I can remember. They are full-flow and excellent quality and provide instant response on the gauge and the highest pressure readings when I tested them. They are also a tad shorter than most so clear headers on some applications where other will not.

I also use Baldwin for my daily drivers. You can look at them and inside and see how well they are made. I used to use AC Delco but they are really cheapened up these days

For those who like to do research there are quite a few video's on Youtube where folks are cutting them open and showing how they are made, etc.....
Where I work the AC Delco filters coming in now have Chinese writing on the box. Started about 2yrs or so ago. Before that, the Delco filters stated on the box "product of the USA". I guess we all can figure out what has happened. There are still many PF24 Delco filters out there you can find made in the USA however prices are rising, of course!! Fram filters I would never use. Too many horror stories and all you have to do is look on You Tube to see what people have found with Fram filters!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 03:31 PM

I did a fair amount of research into filters lately. After the second to last free oil change on my wife's Honda CRV it all of a sudden used 3 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. The dealer wanted to put rings and pistons in it to the tune of $3000. The car never used any oil even at 7000 mile oil changes. I still think that second to last oil change they didn't actually change the oil especially after I checked it in the lot at the last dealer change and it was down a 1/2 quart.

Anyhow I decided I would start doing the oil changes and was dismayed when I got a Wix filter from O'Reilly and it was made in China. After further research I found out that the Wix branded filters are made in China, Mexico, Vietnam and Wix branded Purolators with very few being made at the Wix plant in the US. Knowing NAPA filter is a Wix, I use NAPA Golds most of the time I figured it was the same thing. After some further digging and reaching out to our local NAPA we do alot of business with almost all of the NAPA filters are still made in the Wix plant in Gastonia, NC. During Covid Mann Hummel started sourcing the Wix and NAPA filters globably. After about a year NAPA said no more we want our Filters made in the USA and had looked into different supliers. Wix/Mann Hummel not wanting to lose their largest aftermarket vendor moved the production for most NAPA filters back to NC. There are exceptions as not all the filters were made there to begin with, but for the most part you will get a USA filter from NAPA.

I did look at the Balwin filters as I can get them through our aftermarket program, I'm the Parts manager at a Yale Forklift dealer. I decided to stay with the Wix as they filter 98% down to 22 micron and the Baldwin filters 98% down to 30 micron, so the Wix is a little more efficient. If anyone needed Baldwin Filters I can get them but that Hastings(Baldwin) price on Rock Auto is lower than my cost.

1975 Grand Prix
1959 F100
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brewcitybirs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Baldwin B9 and B39 are both rated to 18 microns

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2023, 04:46 PM

The Baldwin can filter down to 18 micron but filters to 40 micron with 98% efficiently. But aparently the NAPA is no longer better they are not listing an absolute rating anymore and the nominal is 21. Those numbers were 10 and 22 in February or they are mimicking the Wix data which I could see being less with coming out of China. Starting to look like all the good filters are going away.

1975 Grand Prix
1959 F100
The Following User Says Thank You to brewcitybirs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Frantz by pass filter is looking better, and better, the more I read......

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/5...3c503c4e2add83

This is the same filter listed on the Butler website where are these made it's a pretty good price

So what Baldwin filter is correct for a Pontiac, B9 or B39

Old 07-11-2023, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

B39 is what I use here. They cross over to Hasting LF222 and can be purchased here:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+filter,5340

The filters I just received for my Nissan Xterra and the wifes Mazda CX-9 were ordered showing Hastings part numbers but showed up as Baldwin filters, made in USA and excellent quality. Until they sell out to China or Korea I'm going to switch over to Hastings/Baldwin for my vehicles.

As mentioned previously I've been using AC Delco for many years on my daily drivers but recently they went to chit and no longer made in the USA. I actually caved one in installing it as it's really difficult to R & R on the Xterra unless you remove the skid plates preventing good access to it. That's when I noticed how poorly made they were, thin shell and plastic cage holding the filter element in place.

It's like just about everything else out there, sooner or later everyone is selling out to cheap offshore production......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),

Last edited by Cliff R; 07-11-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/5...3c503c4e2add83

This is the same filter listed on the Butler website where are these made it's a pretty good price

So what Baldwin filter is correct for a Pontiac, B9 or B39
B9 will work, it is a little longer for more filtration area. But if you have headers, it may interfere

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Old 07-11-2023, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

B31 is the short skinny filter for headers

Old 08-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Looks like the Baldwin B9 filters to 18 microns and has an anti-drainback valve. Might be the ticket and good price from Grainger. Should be fine with RARE oversized manifolds on a stockish 400 I assume?

Can anyone comment on the Bosch 3423?
I just got done changing my oil. I put the B9 on and it fit perfect with RA manifolds and Pypes downpipes. Plenty of clearance. Don't know about with headers. The fact that it's bout 20-25% longer makes it easier to get a filter wrench on it, if you need to.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 08-02-2023, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since this thread started I have switched over to using Baldwin/Hastings filters on all of my vehicles and stocked up on them. I even researched the part numbers and cross referenced and purchased filters for my Yamnar diesel engines in both of my tractors.

Just got the last ones in a few days ago. They are all USA made and excellent quality at least until they sell out like just about everyone else and have them made overseaas someplace......FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-02-2023, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just cut open a Napa Gold filter (Wix) on my last oil change and for what it's worth, the inside construction and quality hasn't changed from years of cutting these things open. Still an excellent filter from what I can see of it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-02-2023, 11:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just received a few Baldwin B39s also...will see how it goes after the next oil / oil filter change.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-03-2023, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do any of you guys run a 1049 with by pass plugged ?

Old 08-03-2023, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I know for sure it's plugged on Dad's engine, Tony was adamant about doing that when he built that engine. I honestly can't remember if it's plugged in my bird but I want to say yeah.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-03-2023, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never ran an open bypass dating back to the first one of these engines I built. HO Racing recommended it and to always use a "full flow" filter when doing so.

The Baldwin B-39 filter will work with the bypass plugged. There are others that woln't. Ran the gauntlet with that a few decades ago messing with smaller and shorter filters, then discovered the Balwin filter ane never looked back. I also observe the quickest gauge response with the Baldwin filter vs any of the others.

Not sure if any of that means anything but at least it's well tested as all of my engines leave here with them.

I would NEVER for any reason use a Fram filter on one of these these engines, matter of fact I wouldn't put a Fram oil filter on anything I cared about......

Old 08-04-2023, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yep, I know for sure it's plugged on Dad's engine, Tony was adamant about doing that when he built that engine. I honestly can't remember if it's plugged in my bird but I want to say yeah.
Thanks, I plugged mine and bought a K&P filter with a by pass. Thinking I will do the initial start up with a 1049, cut it open and if all looks good put the K&P on.
Just wanted to avoid changing the filter adapter from stock to the one I plugged.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: