Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 AM

Default Problems w/Brake Master Cylinder installed in '71 Trans Am

Good Evening,

I recently had a master cylinder that I purchased from Firebird Central installed in my '71 T/A (power front disc; rear drum) by a friend of mine that has a good deal of experience working on old Pontiacs (I have none whatsoever). However, once installed, the car had very little breaking power, along with a very stiff brake peddle. In addition, when the engine is running without brakes applied there is a slight hissing sound emanating from the master cylinder, which gets quite a bit louder when the brakes are applied.

Now my friend who did the installation thinks perhaps it's not the correct master cylinder for the car. Also, he pointed out that on the bottom of the the cylinder, near where it mounts to the power booster, there are two holes that face to the right and left of the car, respectively. And when you plug these holes with your fingers while the engine is running, the hissing stops. (Perhaps these holes indicate some application for another type of car, and therefore, evidence that this master cylinder is not the correct one for my car?)

At any rate, if anybody can give me their thoughts on what might be the issue with this master cylinder, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance!

CEB