Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:30 AM

Default Cranks for boosted applications.

Little bit of a noob here when it comes to boosted Pontiac but I wanted to get a general understanding on y’all’s experience and opinions on cranks.

I’m in the initial process of collecting parts for a Boosted drag and drive motor. A couple months ago I called Frank at All Pontiac and made a deposit on an aftermarket iron block. While talking to him, he recommended a 4.25 bore and 4.25 stroke Billet crank.

I’ve seen previous threads from a couple years back where people have stated keeping the stroke shorter would be ideal and even some have said 4.00 and under, but I’ve also seen a few guys successfully running a longer stroke successfully. What’s the current consensus in stroke?

I’m looking to build something capable of mid nines initially with room to grow as I gain more experience with the combo. So I’m figuring in a 3600lb car I probably need to be in the 1k-1200hp range?
Am I crazy?

Old 04-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

have you received your block? i put my deposit down 2 months ago as well and hoping it gets here soon.

frank rec'd me to go with a 4.35 bore with my roots blown build and at the time i was gonna use my 4.0 crank . i instead used that crank in my 400 and going to run a 4.250 crank in the ia2 block with a procharger. seams like 4.0 and 4.250 is the general consensus on boosted apps even using a new block

Old 04-12-2024, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO the smallest stroke is the way to go. I go mid nines with a 3.75" stroke with a 198ci motor . More stroke will just make it harder to get down the track ..

Old 04-13-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
have you received your block? i put my deposit down 2 months ago as well and hoping it gets here soon.

frank rec'd me to go with a 4.35 bore with my roots blown build and at the time i was gonna use my 4.0 crank . i instead used that crank in my 400 and going to run a 4.250 crank in the ia2 block with a procharger. seams like 4.0 and 4.250 is the general consensus on boosted apps even using a new block
So I talked to him in mid February and he said I was 9 or 10 on the list. He said he wasn’t sure but he was expecting them to be done at the foundry in a couple weeks but we’d then be at the mercy of the machine shop after that. I hope to hear something this month but I’m not expecting anything as I’m not in a rush.

It seems like a decent amount of guy’s suggest the shorter stroke I’m just trying to better understand why. And those billet cranks are a big purchase.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason why is that with a turbo torque becomes so multiplied it becomes a problem to get traction. So a short stroke will help you in that respect.. You still will have more torque then you will need with the shorter stroke. Im building a motor now with 3.330 stroke because even with 3.750 stroke it was too much imo...

Old 04-13-2024, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac_boy View Post
So I talked to him in mid February and he said I was 9 or 10 on the list. He said he wasn’t sure but he was expecting them to be done at the foundry in a couple weeks but we’d then be at the mercy of the machine shop after that. I hope to hear something this month but I’m not expecting anything as I’m not in a rush.

It seems like a decent amount of guy’s suggest the shorter stroke I’m just trying to better understand why. And those billet cranks are a big purchase.
dang we must have ordered within days of each other lol. i ordetrd around the 16th of feb and was number 8. i hit him uo yesterday and he said its at the machine shop.. im not really in a hurry either...i think my 434 will be plenty while i piece together the new one

Old 04-16-2024, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of big power boosted Pontiacs with 4 inch strokes out there. Its what Chief ran.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac_boy View Post
Little bit of a noob here when it comes to boosted Pontiac but I wanted to get a general understanding on y’all’s experience and opinions on cranks.

I’m looking to build something capable of mid nines initially with room to grow as I gain more experience with the combo. So I’m figuring in a 3600lb car I probably need to be in the 1k-1200hp range?
Am I crazy?
John Meany had a 1000 hp Small Block Chevy STREET engine in a Corvette 25 years ago that he drove everywhere at low boost (less than 15 psi of boost) John Lingerfeller was involved in the project.

A YSi Vortech Supercharger would make 1200 in a street car with a basic BB Chevy engine years ago. A Procharger supercharger can easily make the same power.

A boosted Pontiac Turbo Engine (one turbo) would require a Large turbo (or 2 turbos ) and would be very soft on the bottom unless paired with a 400+ cid engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-16-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is a 400 ci 60-over make's a ton of power no dyno numbers.
I just bump the cam a bit to a solid roller I'm hoping for 1-1200hp
with iron heads, When I get the 77-firebird done I'm going to install
it in that might be a while unless I just have to know and put it one of
my other cars. I might dyno it this time too.

GT