Old 04-12-2024, 11:55 AM

Default Kick panel leaks

I’ve read the old sticky posts of addressing this with a Costco chicken container, but my question is also what prevented these from leaking straight out of the factory? The gasket seal was just in that much better of shape I assume and overtime it gets brittle and leaks?

My front floor pans will be drenched after a rain. I have to keep my car under cover if rain is in the forecast. I’m slowly trying to address where it’s leaking from up front as I will have most of my new interior installed within a month.

Any other commons spots you all are seeing leaks on these cars? I’ve got a 66 Catalina wagon. Thanks

Old 04-12-2024, 11:42 PM

This is my '64 RH kick vent, the factory did NOT spare any sealant! Have you pulled back the carpet to ck the floor pans? Remove the kick panels and get the sprinklers out to find where the water is getting in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Kick vent.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	631973  

Old 04-13-2024, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I have seen is happen is a result of original design.
The cowl vent is the opening that allows air through the kick panel vents. The cowl around the vent is a chamber that may have a 1 inch drain hold that goes down into the rocker panel. But leaves, sticks and other stuff can get if the cowl vent and not get through the 1 inch drain hole. It builds up and plugs the drain and leads to the sides and bottom of the vent chamber rusting through. Might rust to the inside, the outside or bottom. Take off the vent grill and feel around in the chamber and see what is in there. Be prepared for even mice. Vacuum out what trash may be present and inspect for what damage needs to be repaired. One of the first things I would do with any oof these cars as all have been sitting in who knows where for years collecting who knows what trash in the cowl area.

The Following User Says Thank You to pfilean For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtoFM View Post
This is my '64 RH kick vent, the factory did NOT spare any sealant! Have you pulled back the carpet to ck the floor pans? Remove the kick panels and get the sprinklers out to find where the water is getting in.
Wow, yeah maybe I need to go back in and add some more sealant. The vents in that kick panel on my car were so rusted that the cables were seized and the vent doors were trashed. I ripped them out and replaced with a piece of metal to hold a speaker, but it could be sealed up a little better.

If I planned to put a modern AC system in it someday are these vents really that necessary? I assume some people like them for the natural fresh air even if you do have an upgraded AC.