The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-16-2022, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Restoration Finishes

I am getting ready to refresh some things on my 1966 GTO. It was painted in 1991 but still looks pretty damn good. Having said that, it was restored at a time when the parts just weren't available like they are today.

So, what is the best source for how parts and components were finished? For example what was the frame gloss level? How is a correct rear end painted and detailed? How are the front suspension parts painted? I am not going to do a restoration, would just like to freshen some things up.

I have the latest version of the restoration guide. It is fantastic for part numbers and visuals of parts, but I am not really seeing how things are finished.

Is there another source?

Thanks in advance.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 02-16-2022, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Search specifics in the 66-67 forum will get you pretty much any finish used. There are a lot of survivor cars on there along with lists of finishes used.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a look and see if you can find any line pictures of that body style many times you can see the rear diff or other parts before the body was dropped and this can give a lot of info . Otherwise the specific resto forum here is very good lots of knowledge here . BUT sometimes things change as survivors are found and by plant. It’s very tricky. The conventional wisdom on rear diffs have been changed as to HOW They were done so many times over the years it’s crazy at least on 69 birds . Dark cast grey center , steel tubes black backing plates I belive is where it is now . Used to be black across the whole back only.
Assembly manual calls out how it was painted around the axles on brake drums backing plates etc. But that’s not how many top resto shops have done them .so who knows. This kind of stuff is what’s kept me from
Doing my car so far. You could go crazy trying to figure out every detail on your year and style car.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!