Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-12-2000, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do I know if I need a shorter than stock timing chain? If I do need one, how do I know how much shorter it needs to be?

My block's been line-honed twice and while the shop that did the work swears the crank centerline shouldn't have moved more than .002" - .003", I'm a little leery. I'd like to reuse the chain from my 400 if at all possible.

Thanks,
-Will

Old 12-12-2000, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do I know if I need a shorter than stock timing chain? If I do need one, how do I know how much shorter it needs to be?

My block's been line-honed twice and while the shop that did the work swears the crank centerline shouldn't have moved more than .002" - .003", I'm a little leery. I'd like to reuse the chain from my 400 if at all possible.

Thanks,
-Will

Old 12-12-2000, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I guess if its loose - I can't tell you how to measure crank centerline distance whcih would probably be the most accurate way to determine what you need. My 428 was line honed twice also and I now use a .010 shorter Rollmaster as recommended by Rick Johnson who did the work on the motor over last summer. A standard Cloyes was flapping in the breeze after a few miles.

Old 12-13-2000, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use a .004" shorter JP Billet timing chain set. Fits perfect w/no slop in the chain at all. Like RPM said, just check yours if loose. Good Luck w/yours.

Old 12-13-2000, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, the general consensus seems to be one of trial and error. Oh well...

The chain that was on my 400 is a Dynagear true roller. Saw 1500 miles in my 400 and was just as tight when I took it off as it was when I put it on. Guess I'll just have to try it on the new motor and see what happens.

-Will