Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 5C-8 Heads Chamber looks like repair

Check out pics and let me know what you think. Both heads have this spot that looks like a repair near the exhaust seat. Same chamber and spot on both heads.
I have seen repairs before but not like this.

thepontiacman@yahoo.com

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What picture?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3 pics posted via Tapatalk. Sometimes for some reason members not on Tapatalk can't see pics.

See if this shows up

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a spray weld type of repair to me, but I think if the seat was cracked there would also be a seat incert put in which I don’t see!

I would get both heads crack tested just like we should do with some of our leaders in both federal and local governments, lol!

The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always get them checked, but have never run into something like this.

I have seen heads pinned to fix cracks .

I agree on your comments about government.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure that is from welding. Maybe happened when the exhaust was induction hardened?

Old 08-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I must have seen / worked on a combination of 28 five series and six series heads in my life and I have never seen that in a chamber!

Old 08-13-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me either. That's why I posted here, to see what others think.
Thanks for any thoughts or input.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Me, no expert, that looks similar to a process, I believe, called “Pinning” ( anyone?).

Usually used on exterior of block. Would not have thought that to be a chamber repair method?

Tom S. Had some intricate repairs done to an aluminum block, years ago, it was a MT block, and I believe they went to all kinds methods to keep coolant from leaking, and they sleeved the entire block to a smaller bore, results I guess in 366 cubes........ I think.....

Tom?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cracked and pinned. Looks like they started drilling a second exploratory hole and decided it wasn't a crack.

When I was shopping for heads years back, every set of 5C's I looked at were cracked somewhere coming off the exhaust seat. Most common was between the intake and exhaust seat.

Old 08-14-2021, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of photos of a pin repair inside an intake runner for a small porosity leak. First is after pin was screwed in until head breaks off and second after being ground down. Does look similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pin.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	571340   Click image for larger version

Name:	After fix.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	571341  

Old 08-14-2021, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think your 100% right with the above comment!
In looking much closer at that 5C chamber you can see the repair is perfectly round as in the shape of a cast iron pin.

It’s just very odd that he says there are no cracks leading into the exh seat area!

But hey. If it holds up to a pressure test then I would not be concerned about running those heads!

Old 08-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to have them checked at machine shop and see what he says.

I have had a lot of late model heads that were cracked, usually near the exhaust seats. I have a picture somewhere of the wall of shame that show at least 30 heads that were found to be cracked. I usually take 2 sets when getting heads checked.

I have seen someone pin a crack in a chamber and even down inside before. hadn't seen a single pin like this. Thought it was strange that both heads had this in the same chamber.

Always a learning experience.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to have them checked at machine shop and see what he says.

I have had a lot of late model heads that were cracked, usually near the exhaust seats. I have a picture somewhere of the wall of shame that show at least 30 heads that were found to be cracked. I usually take 2 sets when getting heads checked.

I have seen someone pin a crack in a chamber and even down inside before. hadn't seen a single pin like this. Thought it was strange that both heads had this in the same chamber.

Always a learning experience.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet ya each chamber like this is a center one where the exh heat is the most consentrated?

What happenes from traces and investigations that I have done is the motor over heats, the head gasket blows pumping coolant into that cylinder and the fast cool down and sudden rate of expansion change as that steam
passes out the exh port then cracks the head.

The induction Harding of the seat area does not help either since its retempering changes the local expansion and contraction rate from the surrounding cast iron.

Old 08-14-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

“Pinning” does not involve any welding. A hole is drilled and tapped, then a threaded plug is installed and the end is shot peened at the surface.

Now that you guys mentioned pinning, I am looking closer, and you guys are absolutely correct, it is “pinned”. It is a bit unusual to only see a crack fixed with one pin. Kind of appears it might need another pin to the outside of that pin to make sure the crack is stopped from expanding. Hard to see in the picture, but when the shop mags it they should have a good idea if it needs more work.

Here is one of my blocks that is pinned next to a freeze plug. You can see it has about 4 plugs that are shot peened on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	335042DB-1083-46C4-A1A2-856EE2E3A6FE.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	571343