Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How long?

As you all know I blew my engine up and the second one had a pinhole in one cylinder. My machinist is making it right for free but I want to take inventory of some of you guys opinions. I have been patient I feel as I know its no longer a paying job for him but I feel like I have waited long enough. He sent me a video about a week ago of the sleeve being installed and finished up and then he told me it was going into the assembly room but that he was going on vacation for a week. I know a man gets a vacation and I am not mad about that but it seems to me that I should have gotten it back long ago let alone before he set out on a week long hiatus. So my question for the group is how long should I expect a no pay job to take and how can I gently push him to finish it up?

Old 07-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say if it went back to his shop as an assembled long block and he had to take it apart, clean everything, install a sleeve, machine it, put everything back together. Then 6 weeks would be about normal if he was serious about taking care of you. Over 2 months, he is probably not making it a priority job.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 09:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One thing I've learned is paying jobs will always come first. Shops have to pay their bills. Hès making good on the engine which is good. I would give him a couple weeks after he gets back to finish up. If it's not finished by then I would politely say something. Last thing you want is a pissed off builder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roy381 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

A thought...
Go to his shop and say HI.
Don't say much, maybe just say, you were bored, and just checking.

As silly as it sounds, keeping relations between you and him friendly, is important.

Your presence in his shop, is a better thing, than words.

I might be telling you things, obvious to you, just wanting to make sure.

I sure wish my machinist/engine builder was still doing this kind of business!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How long have you been waiting so far?

I'm not a pushy guy when it comes to stuff like this since I'm often on the opposite side of that coin and know what it's like. I'm more interested in a good quality job than I am getting it done in a hurry. I get it though, and there is a fine line.

I think 77's suggestion of stopping in once in a while is the best. Just to say high and see how things are going. I find in person works much better than over the phone, and develops a good relationship. Hell I often offer to take Paul out to lunch when I'm visiting if he's not too busy.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am very good friends with Wayne. We have known each other a while and he has done a lot of machine work for me and my Ford loving brother. Wayne has always gone out of his way to do good work and he is making it right as I said cause he missed the pinhole even though it was not his fault. I was there when it was run on the stand for 35 minutes with no signs of distress. It was only after I got it in the car and drove it a mile that it started its BS. I guess a heat cycle or something, anyway I think I am gonna take the advice and run down there this week and see what is the prognosis. This is why I dont want to push him. He does EXCELLENT work and is fair and honest as they get. I just want to be on the road.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:05 AM
Senior Chief

You indicated it was that this is “free” work and may be expected to take longer than paid work. I would argue you already paid for the work the first time and it failed it’s not free work. He’s now working working on his reputation and not on the $$. Many would argue that has more value.. I would like to think the extra time is so he can insure all goes well and the customer is happy. If that’s the case then you checking in should not bother him.

The Following User Says Thank You to rwfisher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Is a pinhole something that is easily missed for a machinist? Or did he skip a step/rush something after boring/honing? Was it a casting flaw or ?

Old 07-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLiam View Post
Is a pinhole something that is easily missed for a machinist? Or did he skip a step/rush something after boring/honing? Was it a casting flaw or ?
I have been told by several people that pinholes while not common are also very hard to detect. I doubt he rushed. Like was said he has a sterling reputation and is working on it not necessarily for free but I mean I think its above and beyond to be totally free. I even offered to give him 200 for break in fluids etc and he would not take it.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been in this position as far as being a vendor, I have a shop owner perspective from life experiences.

Think of this as mandatory overtime, because thwere is no way around it. You have to do it along with all your regular duties that are day to day chores. You have to keep money coming in to support yourself, your business, your family, and obligations.

So we've established the owner has a set schedule to keep his head above water financially. And the boss, in this case the warranty claim, is wanting the overtime to commence ASAP. Adding in an extra 10-15 hours a week of overtime is something most people can identify with. The averaage worker gets 1.5 times his regular hourly pay, so there is a reward for you to take time away from your regular weekly duties, or pleasure time. It's called sacrifice, but the regular hourly employee is monetarily compensated. The shop owner on the other hand has to put the time in, but he was paid for the original work months ago. It's not only not bringing any money to the bottom line, it's costing him overhead besides.

How many here want to be put in this situation? These are some of the joys of owning your own business. When everything goes as planned you make money, and only answer to yourself. When things go wrong, you no longer are the boss, the customer has become your boss, and he wants it done yesterday. All the people that lament why good reliable engine shop owners retire, and no one wants to fill the voids left in the hobby when these people retire can see much clearer when you look at situations from someone else's viewpoint.

Tread carefully when you think about trying to push your warranty work through on your schedule, as opposd to his schedule.

How long? As long as it takes.

My , take it for what it's worth.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-09-2023 at 12:32 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 01:31 PM

I’d wait for him to call me when it’s ready for pickup. He’s sending you video updates as recently as a week ago, what more can you ask for? It’s not like he’s forgotten you in any sense of the word.

I wouldn’t go to his shop or call, I’d wait for his call and let it be. Why drop in and bother him while he’s busy trying to get his work done right after he just gave you a video update? Nothing slows down the work in a small shop like answering phone calls or dealing with visitors.

Let the guy take his vacation, what he’s doing on his personal time should not matter to you.

It’s not like this car is your daily transportation that your family depends on for their daily activities, it’s a toy for your enjoyment and nothing more.

Some of you guys fail to realize that shops and people that take on this type of work are like dinosaurs, pretty much extinct. Myself I’m grateful for those who fill the niche in our hobby and I give them plenty of time and I understand that doing a good job along with taking care of multiple customers doesn’t come fast or easy.

Want it done faster? Then leave the guy alone.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2023, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think his vacation should have zero consideration as far as delaying your project. I know 99% of the folks that have regular jobs will take their scheduled vacation come Hell or high water.

As a self employed engine builder, I can assure you there isn't a day that goes by he doesn't think about your engine. Even during his week long "hiatus". I'm sure he wants that project done as much as you do or more. It's incredible how many delays happen nowadays, including out right theft of time. Maybe in the meantime you could start a thread in the Lobby to try and inspire folks to do a better job at work to help offer relief to the people that have to get the job done.... JMHO

Old 07-09-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You clearly trust him and have a good relationship with him, so I agree with the others - be patient and let him do his thing.

It took over a year to get my heads back from the machinist. I never pressured him, but I would stop in from time to time to BS and see what else he had cooking. It tested my (and my wife's!) patience, but the last thing I wanted was him hurrying to get me out of his hair. When they were done he thanked me for giving him space and I had confidence they were done to his standards.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 07-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is funny, but true. Long standing relationship with my machine shop guy. Put a deck on his house, a small addition on his shop, my son worked for him for 2 years. Doing heads. When I bought him my IA11 block it sat for 2 month’s. I’d call he’d say I’m going to get to it soon..LOL finally after 2-1/2 months I walked in with A piece of chalk drew it out line around it and walked out. 2 weeks later I got a call your block is ready. We laughed about later…for years. Here comes Chalkie.

He was the A/stock National record holder.

Old 07-09-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just pay him a visit. I have done this a number of times, just walked in to see what he is working on. I usually ask in a non-confrontational manner "So did this come in before or after mine?". That usually gets the message across that you're not happy with the progress and something needs to change.

You can't push it too hard because you really are pretty much stuck like chuck and at his mercy. He could have blown you off with the "it was fine when it left my shop" routine and left you high and dry if that was his intention. He probably is working on revenue generating jobs and staying late to work on yours a few hours here and a few hours there which is pretty typical on a "do-over".

Old 07-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s not been uncommon for me to call him for advice or stop and bull**** a minute but he moved shops and he’s out of the way now so a just dropping in excuse is not viable. I am painfully aware that it’s not a priority but I have offered to pay some towards fluids or gaskets or whatever is gonna be needed but he says no.. I don’t begrudge him a vacation. I didn’t mean that at all. He did send me a video of the sleeve going in and then about a week later he said he was moving it to the clean room to do assembly. Since that’s where we are I will wait about 2 more weeks and then I’ll go by. As far as it being a toy that’s not true, this car was always intended to be a secondary driver. When I get it back I’ll be driving it within reasonable limits while I do some long overdue work to my truck.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah its real frustrating waiting.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jokes on me, he’s almost ready and I’m not. He’s wanting to start it next week and I’ll be at my surgery preflight. I told him to start it, send me a video and I’d pick it up week after next 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	615888  

Old 07-12-2023, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Jokes on me, he’s almost ready and I’m not. He’s wanting to start it next week and I’ll be at my surgery preflight. I told him to start it, send me a video and I’d pick it up week after next 🤣
That's how it always goes..... Customers in a big hurry and then as soon as it's up to him, he ain't ready.... Lol

Glad it's almost done!

Old 07-12-2023, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fire that baby up !!