Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wix made in China now????

Is this true? That’s what Amazon says under country of origin but I can’t find confirmation. If it is I guess I’ll be using Baldwin.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes. This was brought up a couple of months ago in a thread that you were active in.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ight=wix+china

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes WIX filters are made all over the world in dozens of plants including some in the USA. Very hard to determine where an individual filter is being made. It really gets exhausting. Since WIX was bought out several years ago by Mann/Hummel of Germany, they have global production. IMO, overall quality seems to be maintained, although the price of the filters has exploded in the last 3 years. A WIX filter cost at least double what it did 3 years ago. Pricing themselves out of the market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 11:57 AM

I have used http://www.fleetfilter.com/index.asp for many years. I won't say they have the best prices, but fair, any issues have been quickly resolved, and bulk discounts.

1966 GTO Resto-Mod. 2nd owner California car, factory Air, Power Windows, Holley Sniper Quadrajet, MSD Dual-Sync, Gearstar 200-4R, Yank 2400 Stall Converter, HGM Compushift Mini, Heidt's Tall Spindle, UMI Control Arms, Hellwig sway bars, CPP Big Brakes, AR Torque Thrust M, Continental Extreme Contact DW
Old 11-06-2023, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I've been through a number of 51258s lately. Some from my local parts stores, some from Amazon. All were marked as made in the USA.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 11-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking to roundy round racer last week his engine builder recommended NAPA gold not WIX. I thought they were the same.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are the same.
BTW; the chicoms now own Jegs and Summit I'm told...

Old 11-06-2023, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NAPA Gold and WIX are the same filter. The part numbers are even the same except for the first digit. NAPA does make things a bit confusing on their other filters. To clarify, They used to have a budget filter called Pro-Select. They were the cheap white ones. They are discontinued and some are still being cleaned out of inventory. The new brand name for the cheap filters is "Performer". Both Pro-Select and Performer are made by Champion Brands. They make dozens of brands of private label filters. They are OK IMO, nothing special.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
Yes. This was brought up a couple of months ago in a thread that you were active in.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ight=wix+china
Your memory and search skills are better than mine. I had been using Purolator but was seeing a slight pressure drop. The Purolator Tech line says the PL and PBL line are for lighter synthetics so I was gonna go back to Wix but read that.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They've also bought Purolator about the same time they bought WIX. Same sceario, the prices have went up substantially, and I have no idea where the Boss model from Purolator is now made............

First Brands has bought Fram, and Champion, another conglomerate that buys up name brand name companies, rapes them, then either closes them down, or cheapens the product for a higher profit margin, then sells off the formerly good company name, after they ruin the reputation of the product.

Another reason I just love my by pass oil filters, TP is still made here, and under a buck a roll. It filters to a much higher standard than any cannister filter does, and saves me time, and money, what's not to like? ....................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
They are the same.
BTW; the chicoms now own Jegs and Summit I'm told...
Don't know about Jegs, but Summit is NOT owned by the "chicoms".

The Following User Says Thank You to 74SDformula For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me, NOT buying from China is a lot more than whether I get a quality product or not. I'd rather send my money anywhere besides China.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:10 PM
Suspended

As long as there is still a viable alternative, no point spending more for an inferior product, just for warm n fuzziness.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA66GTO View Post
I have used http://www.fleetfilter.com/index.asp for many years. I won't say they have the best prices, but fair, any issues have been quickly resolved, and bulk discounts.
I see they carry Baldwin filters, but apparently not for Pontiacs.

Their NAPA Pontiac 1258 filters are a fraction of what NAPA charges for them, but the price for the Chevy small block 1049 filter is $4.50 higher than the 1258. Can't believe a common Chevy filter is more expensive than a Pontiac filter...

Old 11-07-2023, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got the Baldwins from Rock Auto. Even sending them to England the price was good.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Economics the more a product is demanded these days the more is charged! Seems complete opposite what I learned in college in the late 60s.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wix and Napa Gold are the same, and just fine. I cut them apart on a regular basis and despite where they might be made, I have seen no change what so ever inside these filters so I continue to use them.

The day I see something different that's not for the better, I'll take notice and look for other alternatives.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the WIX filter stopped that weird pressure drop I described in another post so I guess that’s it from now on.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Economics the more a product is demanded these days the more is charged! Seems complete opposite what I learned in college in the late 60s.
What college was that? I want to be sure not to send my kids there.

In the absence of other changes (such as increased supply), increased demand for a product should absolutely drive prices higher.

Old 11-08-2023, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
What college was that? I want to be sure not to send my kids there.

In the absence of other changes (such as increased supply), increased demand for a product should absolutely drive prices higher.
Probably a pretty good college.

The more you make of something, the cost per unit normally goes down.

Example - Summit pricing for Wix filters - SB Chevy $10.00 - Pontiac $19.00

Check and see what pistons cost for a small block Chevy. Then check and see what pistons cost for a Pontiac motor.

I paid more for the pistons in my 462 for the '64 GTO than I did for the entire rebuild kit (pistons, rings, bearings, freeze plugs, gaskets and cam) for my wife's '72 Camaro.