THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ACRONYM's

If "AI" is the acronym for artificial intelligence, what is the acronym for artificial stupidity? And why have most of the machines replacing humans answering telephones been programmed with it?

True story below:

Was trying to find a company that would either make colored prints from color film negatives, or digitize them for me.

Calling (name withheld)

"Thank you for calling ?????????? today, how may I help you?"

Me: "need to have prints from color negatives"

AS: "you may speak in complete sentences"

Me: "I need to have color prints made from color negatives"

AS: "you mean you want .........................."

Me: "no"

AS: "OK, please rephrase your question"

Me: "May I speak to an agent?"

AS: "you mean you want .........................................."

Me: "no, I would like to speak with a human"

This went on for several repetitions, then:

AS: "this is going nowhere, what department do you wish: (1) ... (2) photo (3) ....

Me: I pressed 2

AS: "I am sorry, the photo department is not available, I will transfer you to the next available department. Thank you for shopping with ?????????????"

Five minutes later

AS: "I am sorry, no departments are currently available (My note, this was during normal working hours), please stay on the line, and I will connect you with the next available department. Thank you for shopping with ?????????????"

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 05:24 PM

Yep I hear you. As I get older I cant believe what is happening in this world. Just glad I lived the years I have with common sense being the norm. AI = BS We never needed the artificial garbage and got along just fine.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think most of us have battled that same machine.

I am known to interrupt anyone speaking to me.

That not-so-endearing trait doesn't work well with robo-support software, as they always want me to start over after I've interrupted, and "it" didn't listen or didn't understand me.

My go-to is "agent", "agent", "agent"... if they don't find a human after hearing "agent" twice, I have to hang up and try again when I have regained some composure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately this is the idiotic world we live in.

I’m so grateful I was born in the early 50’s when humans dealt with humans.

I would hate to be a kid in this day and age.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried this sight?
https://www.contacthelp.com/

or
https://gethuman.com/

Last edited by KS circutguy; 07-23-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinds related.
I was flying home from vacation yesterday morning. I was in the Minneapolis airport waiting for my next flight. There was 2 food businesses right next to each other. I walked up to one to place an order-A cinnamon bagel and coffee. I told the guy behind the counter what I wanted. He said “Sorry, all orders have to be made from the touch screen”. OK,well no cinnamon bagel listed on the touchscreen menu, just plain, so I ordered that and my coffee. Paid with my credit card, as they wouldn’t take cash!
So a minute later the guy yells out my order number and says “A plain bagel right?” I said “no, I want cinnamon , but didn’t see that option on the touch screen” He sighed as he had already toasted my plain bagel. So he threw it away and made me a cinnamon. Handed it to me then walked away. I said “Do I get my own coffee, or do you get it for me?” He said coffee doesn’t show up on his order screen, so he didn’t know,the cashier usually gets that for customers. I said “What cashier?” How convenient
The place next door sold smoothies. After my bagel and coffee a smoothie sounded good. (It was a long layover). I figured I’d go right to the touch screen. First one didn’t work, so I tried the one next to it-nope, no worky. I semi sarcastically asked the guy behind the counter if I could just TELL HIM my order. “No, it has to be done through the touch screen”. Sigh. “Do you have a screen that works!?” He informed me the one on the end did. Well, I got the smoothie ordered, and when I went to pay I got a message saying the touch screen is not linked to the credit card swiper. F*** this!
I walked away and sat down and watched person after person walk up and unsuccessfully order anything. The employee never made an attempt to fix the situation or help in any way. Just stood there doing nothing as he had no orders to make.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 67drake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For years, me and several of my co-workers ate lunch at a place called Moe's. There was a Moe's Monday Special that included a burrito and drink for about $2 - 3 less than the normal price. Covid came along and I started working from home, but I continued to go to my local Moe's and get two burritos for me and my wife. I always went in person and paid in cash. I rarely use credit cards for food any more after having my credit card numbers repeatedly stolen.

Then about two years ago, I go to the Moe's near my home and place my order for two burritos for my wife and I. The cashier rings it up at full price. I tell her it's Monday and I want the Monday special. She says I have to order using the ap to get the Moe's Monday price. I tell her I don't carry a cell phone, and I've been a regular Monday customer for years. She says I need to pay full price or use the ap. I say no. She calls the manager, I explain I've been a loyal customer for years, but Moe's changed the terms and I'm not agreeing to order online and pay with a credit card. Manager over-rides and gives it to me for the normal price, but tells me from now on I need to use the ap to get the Moe's Monday price. So I haven't been back to that Moe's in about two years. Since I'm going back into the office occasionally, one of my co-workers will order my burrito and I give him cash, but the amount of times I eat at Moe's has been reduced drastically. Most fast food places are pushing aps for ordering, but I'm not buying in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Computers answering the phone are not the smartest things in the world. But it sure is fun cussing and swearing at it. `

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 10:09 PM

I'm thinking born about 1940 live till about 2020-25. That would be the best time frame to have live/lived.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m glad I was born when I was, I wouldn’t want to be just starting out in this POS world we live in now.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What happened to me. Kept getting a letter from Verizon 'my device is not 5 g compatible ' Received this for couple months last year. Finally called in December. Like you trying to contact a big co. Finally got to talk to a man. He asked me what I had,I said my home phone, he said you need to do nothing. Ok. I use this smart phone alot .home phone rarely,since wife past. I wasnt getting any calls. So I called my home phone,'number not in service', huh. Called V a Indian sounding woman said nothing could be done. I had to buy 'their' phone for about $90.00 . So I called again to complain ,got a mgr,female she tried to help but my old number is gone I had for 44yrs. Everyone, businesses know that number. Anyway she said if I had let them know,when talking to that man(he messed up wrong info) I could have received 'free' 5g compatible equipment.GRR. I'm glad the creator gives good information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only biz we use that has a pathetic pre-programmed recording is our internet service. Been acting up "intermittent" the past month. Technician out twice, now 3rd time this coming afternoon. Was pretty easy to get down to brass tax.

Otherwise, we avoid businesses that use the centralized pre-programmed scrutinizers.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A very similar thing happened to me. My wife's cell phone service is through a company named Republic Wireless. It was started by some alumni of the local college, NC State. We've had their service for probably 7 or 8 years now, my son signed up when he started college at NC State. They work on local wi-fi, and only use cellular when out of range of wi-fi.

My wife doesn't use much data or cell phone usage, the phone stays at the house most of the time connected to the local wi-fi. Everything seemed to be going fine, I even took it to work a couple of times and it connected to my employer's wi-fi system with no issue. But one day my wife went into Raleigh and said the Google Maps wouldn't give her directions.

I started checking and found we had no cell service. I called Republic wireless, and they told me my service was terminated since I had not responded to their emails. I had lost service about four months ago. They said I needed to transition to a new plan because of their change to 5G, and my phone had to be compatible with the new service.

They checked my phone, and it was not 5G compatible but was 4G and compatible with the system. They then told me I had lost my phone number. I told them I wanted my number back. They said since it had been lost for several months, they could put in a ticket and try to get it back, but there was no guarantees. There are no long term contracts with Republic, so I told them I would sign up for one month but if they couldn't get my number back, I was going to drop service.

I thought some of what they were telling me was BS. During the 3 months after they dropped me, I was still getting phone calls on the old phone number when connected to a wi-fi system. I checked my credit card statement, and I was not billed during those months. I have no idea how my number was still active while connected to wi-fi, and I'm not sure what would have happened if they assigned the number to somebody else.

In the end, I got three months free service, my old phone number back, but I ended up with a $2 per month more expensive plan. I don't know how they got my old phone number back, but if the number hasn't been re-assigned, you should be able to get it back. It takes the carrier some additional work, but it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
What happened to me. Kept getting a letter from Verizon 'my device is not 5 g compatible ' Received this for couple months last year. Finally called in December. Like you trying to contact a big co. Finally got to talk to a man. He asked me what I had,I said my home phone, he said you need to do nothing. Ok. I use this smart phone alot .home phone rarely,since wife past. I wasnt getting any calls. So I called my home phone,'number not in service', huh. Called V a Indian sounding woman said nothing could be done. I had to buy 'their' phone for about $90.00 . So I called again to complain ,got a mgr,female she tried to help but my old number is gone I had for 44yrs. Everyone, businesses know that number. Anyway she said if I had let them know,when talking to that man(he messed up wrong info) I could have received 'free' 5g compatible equipment.GRR. I'm glad the creator gives good information.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:40 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome to the New World!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
Welcome to the New World!
I preferred the OLD world….

Dr. Thomas Sowell