Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rebuild water pump?

Anyone rebuild their own pumps here? Any tricks? I have a date coded one I need to rebuild.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 12-01-2023, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I worked for Pontiac the owner's teenage son rebuilt the water pumps so it can't be too hard.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I worked at the Pontiac dealer, they would not pay for a new water pump under a warranty claim. You had to take it apart and attempt to rebuild it. The warranty was 5 years/50K miles. About half of them had enough grooving in the shaft in the area of the seal, that the zone would authorize a new pump. The other half, you could clean up the shaft with 400 paper. Then pack the seal inside where the garter spring is with some grease so it stays in place and press the thing back together. Take note of the exact location of the impeller on the shaft as you want to go back in the same location. All the pumps in those days had a cast iron impeller. I would not reuse a sheet metal one. Also, make sure the iron one goes back on with a press fit. If the press has a gauge, I would expect at least 750 LBS. minimum press. Good luck with it. Didn't know you could even get seals and bearings anymore . At the dealer we had to rebuild, power steering pumps, starters, alternators, master cylinders, wheel cylinders, calipers, brake boosters, steering gears and racks, all that stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2023, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, a buddy of mine that worked at the Pontiac dealership in the early to mid 70s said they would break about half the housings trying to cold press them out. Pontiac wanted them to rebuild them rather and hardly gave any time for the rebuild job under warranty. So the mechanics could actually make more by just removing and replacing with a new pump.

After cold pressing and breaking a Guinea pig housing, I took a torch and cut the fan mounting flange on my number matching pump. The old bearing assembly came out heated housing easily without breakage.
Had to put a little heat on the fan mounting flange going back with the assembly. Otherwise no problems.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ
Old 12-04-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had 3 of them rebuilt, but were done by Cardone industries . https://www.cardone.com/rebuild-and-return/

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
Ok, a buddy of mine that worked at the Pontiac dealership in the early to mid 70s said they would break about half the housings trying to cold press them out. Pontiac wanted them to rebuild them rather and hardly gave any time for the rebuild job under warranty. So the mechanics could actually make more by just removing and replacing with a new pump.

After cold pressing and breaking a Guinea pig housing, I took a torch and cut the fan mounting flange on my number matching pump. The old bearing assembly came out heated housing easily without breakage.
Had to put a little heat on the fan mounting flange going back with the assembly. Otherwise no problems.
I do remember breaking a casting at the dealership. The parts department gave me a replacement water pump. I asked for a can of Pontiac blue paint for the cast iron. I had been at the dealer about a year and was the "newbie" on the line. The other techs came over as I masked off the fan hub and painted the new water pump. "What in the hell are you doing?". "Is there a flat rate time for painting a water pump?". I will never forget that. The dealership made me pay for the can of paint. It was the difference between doing it half azzed and doing it right. I was made fun of for doing that for months.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a Service Bulletin on rebuilding them:

Water Pump Rebuild

With correct tools and rebuild kit makes it sound easy.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fwiw; i had a known-good Aluminum Water Pump sit on the shelf for about 10 years. All looked clean, no shaft rust, etc. Went to use it and it leaked from the weephole.

Front seal dried up.

Went searching for Water Pump rebuild kits, but tossed the core and bought new. Price of new went up since i bought a few.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly, & the front seals do dry up with those near 50 year old GM service package bearing/seal kits. Main reason I don't use them. Another problem with an eBay or swapmeet purchase of one of the long discontinued GM water pump service kits is, there are at least 2 different dimensions of cartridge bearing/seal. Need to have the correct one.

Missing the correct cast impeller as it was replaced by a mass rebuilder years ago with a stamped steel impeller, there are 5 different cast impellers used from '63-81 on original Pontiac V8 water pumps.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arthur Gould, on east coast. Just tell them you want your original core back. Excellent work for 40+ years! Very inexpensive!

"Bill"!

Old 12-04-2023, 10:18 PM

I've rebuilt many of my water pumps for my 67 LeMans and 67 GTO. Pontiac used to sell rebuild kits that had a new shaft, seal, etc packaged in a nice case but those are long gone. I made my own kit. You'll need to have a hydraulic press to be able to remove the front flange using a bearing separator and to be able to remove the impeller and seal out together. Both the front flange and impeller will get reused.

Tractor Supply part houses have the parts, at least for the 8 bolt pumps. The bearing shaft that I chose is longer on one end than required but is sawed off to the correct length. The seal kits come with an plastic installation tool. AR62933 is the seal and JD9212 is the bearing/shaft. Replacement shaft diameter is a few thousandths over for a good press fit.

Amazon sells the pump shaft bearing and seal as well but the tractor supply houses usually have lower prices. I included my inventory of used shaft bearings' dimensions and some part numbers that should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seal & Shaft bought.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	624401   Click image for larger version

Name:	shaft bearing measured dimensions.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	624402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	624403  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gto4ben For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the kit off eBay, had all the components and cast impeller. No problem… Using a little heat to remove the old bearing and shaft. Then heat on the fan flange on assembly. I believe where one could have a problem is not getting the .425 preload they recommend on the seal installing the impeller.Think the kit was $85.

1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1970 GP SSJ

Last edited by J.C.you; 12-04-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this post is pure gold for me...

Thanks to everyone for sharing this!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 12-05-2023, 07:57 PM

A question. A guy reads that the cast impeller vs the stamped is the right way to go but I don't understand why. It would appear that the bigger vanes of a stamped impeller would grab the water and circulate it better than the shorter (that I've seen on the ones I've installed) cast version. I've not had issues with either as far as that goes.