Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-12-2023, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best front end parts these days?

Need to buy at least a center link for the GTO this winter as I noticed some play in mine during the last oil change and grease session.
The front end thread going kinda got into the performance aspect, but what about replacement parts for us with stock set ups that want to keep them stock?
Any USA or at least high quality stock replacement parts out there? I don’t know anyone around here that rebuilds originals.
Thanks!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:34 PM

I bought ball joints, center link & tie rod ends from Proforged, haven’t installed them yet but they look pretty good.

Mevotech is also an excellent choice, Moog isn’t what it used to be but is still ok, I prefer Mevotech for OE replacement front end parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to 67Lemons For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Proforged center link and it fits perfectly (plenty of clearance with oil pan) and seems high quality. Proforged ball joints also came installed in my UMI Performance tubular control arms, and although I don't have many miles on the car yet, they seem good.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 08:47 PM

This place has what you desire. I’ve used them in the past for my 65 GTO. Quality parts and fit ent was excellent.

https://www.rareparts.com/

Old 12-12-2023, 08:48 PM

This place has what you desire. I’ve used them in the past for my 65 GTO. Quality parts and fit ent was excellent.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Double post

Old 12-12-2023, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedemnewfies View Post

Unfortunately, they don’t have my ‘71 GTO centerlink in stock, and have been out for awhile.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought proforged as well. Thought I read over on the Chevelle forum that the Moog center link has some fitment problems especially for the 64-67 A bodies, IIRC the grease fittings rub against the crossmember.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As you likely know, many of the names we used to associate with quality suspension parts (ie. Moog, AC Delco, TRW) can now be hit and miss. Some of these former quality companies - sell lower quality parts - but usually still charge premium prices.
I read that Moog has a line called "problem solver". Looks like the "problem solver" line can provide more quality parts ? Appears this "problem solver" line has started over the last few years - though not sure. In my F250 Truck I used the Mevotech TTX line for some front end parts (tie rods ends, track bar ball joint). The Mevotech TTX line seemed a little better quality and price was good - bought on RockAuto and parts were about 40%? cheaper than Ford Motorcraft dealer parts. Again, this Mevotech TTX line appears to have started in the last few years. I guess we will see what is the long term results of Mevotech TTX line over the coming years.
I don't see a Mevotech TTX center link for 71 GTO - though I do see there is a Mevotech TTX upper ball joint for a 71 GTO.

Last edited by pippintook; 12-12-2023 at 11:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pippintook For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippintook View Post
As you likely know, many of the names we used to associate with quality suspension parts (ie. Moog, AC Delco, TRW) can now be hit and miss. Some of these former quality companies - sell lower quality parts - but usually still charge premium prices.
I read that Moog has a line called "problem solver". Looks like the "problem solver" line can provide more quality parts ? Appears this "problem solver" line has started over the last few years - though not sure. In my F250 Truck I used the Mevotech TTX line for some front end parts (tie rods ends, track bar ball joint). The Mevotech TTX line seemed a little better quality and price was good - bought on RockAuto and parts were about 40%? cheaper than Ford Motorcraft dealer parts. Again, this Mevotech TTX line appears to have started in the last few years. I guess we will see what is the long term results of Mevotech TTX line over the coming years.
I don't see a Mevotech TTX center link for 71 GTO - though I do see there is a Mevotech TTX upper ball joint for a 71 GTO.
I was installing Moog Problem Solver parts 35 years ago to fix the shot tie rod ends on the '86-'87 Ford Taurus's at 10,000 miles and Astro Van idler arms at 50k miles. They were excellent, back then. Made in USA. I remember in 1980 buying a Moog DS754 center link for my '66 GTO from our parts store for $18. Those were the days. Quality USA made parts that fit perfectly and were cost-effective. Back when you bought a product and it didn't even occur to you it could be defective. Our cams never went flat back then, either.