Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After debuting at SEMA 2003, Mallory has FINALLY released their HyFire #699 rev-limiting HEI module. It is a direct replacement for any typical 4-pin HEI module and condenser. The rev limiter is built-in and is adjustable from 5000 to 9000 rpm by simply switching DIN-type switches. No modifications are required to install and it includes an original appearing connector that plugs into the cap. They are currently available through Summit for $104/ea

We spun one on the distributor machine and the rev limiting function appears to be accurate as it cuts power to the strobe at pre-selected RPM points. However, I can’t yet comment on its function because my T/A is still in winter storage but I know Cliff has one on order and plans to test it shortly. But as soon as we get ours installed, we’ll post the results. In the mean time, the Mallory rev limiting HEI module appears to be a great alternative to higher priced units that don’t necessarily look stock!

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...part=MAA%2D699

Old 02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After debuting at SEMA 2003, Mallory has FINALLY released their HyFire #699 rev-limiting HEI module. It is a direct replacement for any typical 4-pin HEI module and condenser. The rev limiter is built-in and is adjustable from 5000 to 9000 rpm by simply switching DIN-type switches. No modifications are required to install and it includes an original appearing connector that plugs into the cap. They are currently available through Summit for $104/ea

We spun one on the distributor machine and the rev limiting function appears to be accurate as it cuts power to the strobe at pre-selected RPM points. However, I can’t yet comment on its function because my T/A is still in winter storage but I know Cliff has one on order and plans to test it shortly. But as soon as we get ours installed, we’ll post the results. In the mean time, the Mallory rev limiting HEI module appears to be a great alternative to higher priced units that don’t necessarily look stock!

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...part=MAA%2D699

Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know this is an old thread. I was wondering if anyone has issues with this module. I had one only last about 20 miles and then it quit. It toasted its self. Plan on returning it to Jeg's today. Will try another one.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I fried mine as well about a month outside the warranty period. I was quite disappointed, and didn't buy another one to replace it.

When it was in service it worked flawlessly, the only issue was very minor, set at 6000rpm's it would come in at 5800rpm's, otherwise worked fine everywhere.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cliff, What do you use for a rev limiter now? I put the stock GM back in the dist. and it runs great. But I have no rev limiter.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought one a few years back and finally installed it on my new engine last year. I have about 3500 miles on it now, and the only problem so far is that coming home one night from a car show about 100 miles away it seemed the rev limiter would cut in at 2900 - it was set for 5800. When I got home I parked the car for an hour or so and it stopped doing that. Hasn't done it since, and I've put a few hundred miles on the car since then. I have an MSD module for back up now tho. I've heard the can be problematic for some and for others, no problem.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ran one in my GS455 for over ten years, no problems.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one with issues right out of the box, as soon as the engine got up to temperature and the distributor was hot, the spark would completely cut out. Wait 10 minutes and it would fire right up. This was on an engine stand so no idea if the rev limiter was accurate.

Mallory replaced it even though it was a month outside the warranty period (it had sat in a box for almost 11 months before I fired up the engine) which was nice of them as I was at their mercy.

I haven't tried the new module yet but hope it works better than the first one!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still running the same module in mine since this post was made in 2005.

I believe Cliff's module went out because it overheated. He sent the failed unit to me and I had an local electronics company check it out. Cliff may recall better than me, but I think after the diagnosis came back, he recalled leaving the key in the Run position long enough that it ran the battery down. That sure could've caused an issue.