THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2022, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Unhappy Memorial Day

Please attend a Memorial Day service in your town, and TAKE YOUR CHILDREN OR GRANDKIDS.

This is Memorial Day weekend. I am always saddened by this time; during my year in Vietnam, 1968, I treated 9 men whose names are now etched in the black marble of The Wall.

But gifts were given to me by each of these men. One, although he had no idea he was doing so, taught a 21-year-old man how to die. When that time comes for me, I hope to be able to display the equanimity and courage he did.

All gave me insight into how to act and perform when lives were on the line-when 36-hour days were common, and decisions have to be made instantly.

A gallows sense of humor was forged. One Marine who had lost his legs laughed and said the Marines were probably going to discharge him now as he was now only 3 1/2 feet tall. That young man, who did not survive his other injuries, taught me much about the human spirit. It's indomitable.

All taught me something, and I am forever grateful. I sometimes wonder if I will ever do anything as important in my life as I did during that terrible year of 1968.

You know, I don't think I will.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts