Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-22-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shift Reprogramming Kits/ Preference

Just curious what members here like which shift kits, and for what reason. Trans Go, B&M Transpak, Superior, TCI, Hughes or other brand. I run a Trans Go in both the TH400 in my '66 Tempest Custom wagon, and in the TH350 in my '74 Cutlass. Would like the TH400 to shift a little more firm from 1-2. 2 to 3 shift is great. It has a mild 455, a Gear Vendors, and 3.42 rear with 27.5 inch tall tires. The one in the TH350 shifts perfect.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Harsh shifts just cause lack of traction when the rear tires break free. It's also hard on the various splined shafts and planetary gears. Harsh shifts are not a "feature", they're a bug.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

many people prefer a firm shift that a kit provides over stock, not "harsh"...

many trans shift kits have a choice of firm or extra firm, for street use the 1st level is more than enough, the next level is race only IMO.

i have the TCI kit in a TCI TH400, nice firm shifts & not harsh at all. used a trans-go in a th350 & the 1st level was very firm, anything more would have been considered harsh. then, there is a mod that some trans gurus do that isnt a real shift kit, its just removing one, some or all the balls in a certain part of the valve body, cant remember the details, had my recent TH350 rebuild done that way & its kind of between a stock shift & shift kit. very happy with that.

if you have experience with & like the trans go i'd just stick with that. can also try some type F fluid or one of the other brands like b&m or tci fluid that is supposed to firm up the shifts.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may not be able to get there depending on your converter. My trans used to have pretty snappy shifts. When I went from a kinda generic 2200 stall converter to my 3400 TSP it softened my shifts quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My GTO Turbo 400 was rebuilt with the B&M rebuild kit and it had a choice of 3 levels of shift firmness. I told the shop to go with the mildest level. It still breaks tires loose at 5000 1-2 shift and chirps 2-3 shift. Stock converter and 3.23 rear w/posi

Old 10-23-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
many people prefer a firm shift that a kit provides over stock, not "harsh"...

many trans shift kits have a choice of firm or extra firm, for street use the 1st level is more than enough, the next level is race only IMO.
He's already got a shift kit (TransGo) in that transmission. It's not "firm" enough for him.

Either there's something wrong in the transmission that's softening the 1--2 shift; or he wants it harsh. And "harsh" is decidedly hard on trans guts.

Yes, a higher-stall torque converter will "soften" the shifts...but not selectively 1--2 and not 2--3.

If the shift is firm enough to "chirp" the tires, you don't have enough power but it's good for showing off and impressing youngsters as you leave the Dairy Queen. If the shift is firm enough to break traction for real, you have enough power but too firm a shift or not enough tire. You'd be better-off with a shift (or tires) that retains traction. Safer, too.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:05 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Did you setup the trans go with the -1 or -2 level? I prefer the -2. Nice part throttle shifts and firm full throttle shifts-not harsh. The -3 level will give harsh shifts.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
He's already got a shift kit (TransGo) in that transmission. It's not "firm" enough for him.

Either there's something wrong in the transmission that's softening the 1--2 shift; or he wants it harsh. And "harsh" is decidedly hard on trans guts.

Yes, a higher-stall torque converter will "soften" the shifts...but not selectively 1--2 and not 2--3.

If the shift is firm enough to "chirp" the tires, you don't have enough power but it's good for showing off and impressing youngsters as you leave the Dairy Queen. If the shift is firm enough to break traction for real, you have enough power but too firm a shift or not enough tire. You'd be better-off with a shift (or tires) that retains traction. Safer, too.
im aware he already has a kit, was just replying to the "harsh" comment in general.

& thats why i mentioned the different firmness level options in shift kits, maybe he can just go to the next level with the transgo kit?? or try different fluids that will firm up the shifts some.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Preference here is to rebuild with clutchpack based tuning, and 34 element Sprag.

Separator-plate tuning is bunk when the correct checkballs are left out.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:04 AM
Senior Chief

th400 1-2 shift is always a bit soft when compared to a th350. Trans go is good stuff. Are the shift POINTS good in the th400 car? early, late..? The 400 doesn't generate line pressure for the 1-2 like a 350 does hence same kit...different results. Cange the 1-2 accumulator spring or increase the feed hole in the VB plate.

The Following User Says Thank You to 67Fbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My TH 400 uses the 4L80 sprag. I don't want the shifts "harsh", just a little more firm from 1-2, to match the 2-3 shift. I think my builder went with the stage 1 setup.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trans-Go 400-2 was the best all around kit we found. B&M shift improver kit was the "harshest" we used.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing to remember is if the vendor has a tech line in case you have questions, or problems with the install. Sometimes after the sale support is important, depending upon your expertise with the operation.

I've used a bunch of different products over the years, Transgo is probably my choice.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: