Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-13-2021, 05:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Dyna mat

Anyone ever use Dynamat to quite an electric fuel pump ?

Using it between bracket and sheet metal to absorb the thumping ?

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although the pump can certainly cause noise, I have found that the fuel lines closest to the pump inlet/outlet to cause as much or more harmonic noise. Using rubber mounting straps to secure the fuel lines is important to dampen the harmonics. I also try to “hang” my pump from a piece of rubber bolted to the body/frame or wherever your preferred mounting location is. Really have to experiment to find what works…. Sometimes nothing works depending on what your working with.

I also use a little sound deadening Matt near where my pump is mounted to dampen harmonics. Not sure it did much, but no harm.

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 09-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Boost Engineer

I hung the remote fuel pump and the bypass plumbing in front of the fuel tank using a
rear muffler hanger strap. That worked really well.
But I still screwed the deal up by punching two holes in the kick-up in the trunk using bulkhead fittings and mounting a large Fram fuel filter. Should have put the fuel filter on the upper cross-member for the rear axle arms. Bosch actually made a take apart fuel filter that was isolated in rubber that mounted on the frame rail.

Every time I made a mistake like that I learned from it, though.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default Any pics ?

Any pics of the hanging pump ?

Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Dynamat is not a sound deadening material. It is a constrain layer designed to stiffen flat, thin surfaces (floor boards and such) that can sympathetically resonate. It won't do much of anything to dampen the sound of your fuel pump.

It's not what you want to hear, but the best way to keep a pump quiet is to put it in the tank, submerged in gasoline. Even a Bosch 044 will quiet down tremendously when fitted like that.

Since your pump is already mounted, you can use a mass loaded vinyl product in the cabin above the fuel pump. You can also try and get it on the underside, around the pump itself, but most of that stuff isn't really weather resistant, so it's anybody's guess how long it would last. Short of enclosing the pump itself in it's position, there's nothing really more you can do to quiet it down. You're going to hear the pump's internal workings as the sound is expressed outward and downward from under the car.

Or, I recommend these. https://blackwidowexhaust.com/mufflers/Neighborhater-%E2%80%93-$114-00-U-S-c28866766

Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my Mallory 110 (converted to by pass regulator) mounted on four of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vibrat...36778625&psc=1