Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-11-2021, 02:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default Pumps

Thanks to everyone for your reply's. The carbs in questions are original SD carbs from Mickey Thompson's shop and are run as received from MT. they have been cleaned and rebuilt but I never looked to see what size needle and seats are in them. Guess I'll go look.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:49 PM

Do you need an electric pump? I have found that most electric pumps are not designed for continuous use and get hot, fail , vapor lock etc. What HP level is your car, a good mechanical 120 pump can be had without a regulator.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default pump

Read post #13. The mechanical pump I used was the same one Tom S. used which is a Carter 110 @ 5 lbs and was perfectly adequate for the tri-power 389. The car is 4000 lbs with 3:90s and a close ratio munci.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
Do you need an electric pump? I have found that most electric pumps are not designed for continuous use and get hot, fail , vapor lock etc. What HP level is your car, a good mechanical 120 pump can be had without a regulator.
Most of the carter electric fuel pumps mentioned in these threads were designed as Marine applications and designed to run for hours at a time.

The Holley Pumps (Red and Blue) did not have issues with the motors as much with the vanes in the pumps (sliding vanes) STICKING in the vane housing and not "flying outward" to seal the fuel flow going from the suction side to the pressure side of the pump.

I had to take apart my Blue Pump in the spring each year and make sure the vanes were free to seal against the pump walls.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:08 PM

The electric pump that I installed about 10 years ago is a simple 12 v that I mounted in front of the tank in my 68 GTO. It is controlled with a toggle switch as others have mentioned to use as a primer before starting (sound changes). And also can be used in conjunction with the stock mechanical pump at high demand. I also installed a check valve back there to force the fuel pressure foward towards the mechanical pump and not back to the tank on the path of least resistance . No issues

Old 09-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Forgot. 5 to 7 psi max cannot flood carb

Old 09-15-2021, 07:11 PM

What check valve? I understand what it is but have never used one, is it sold by auto parts places? Thinking I will install on/off switch and check valve like you did.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 PM
Boost Engineer

https://carterengineered.com/fuel-pu...valve-169-1002

amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Carter-169-10.../dp/B001UOS7MS

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:25 PM

Need to find info. Been awhile. I believe it may be incorporated into a flex line. Will get back to you. Dam CRS!! ( can’t remember sh-t)

Old 09-16-2021, 09:02 AM
Boost Engineer

Fuel Tank Pick-up, then a "TEE" then fuel goes to the electric fuel pump.
The other "leg" of the "TEE" goes to the inlet side of the check valve.

Out of the check valve the fuel goes to the second TEE.
One leg of that TEE is connected to the OUTPUT of the electric fuel pump.
a Second "leg" connects to the check valve

The last "LEG" of the second TEE goes to the fuel line feeding the mechanical fuel pump or directly to the carb filter and carb.

When the fuel pump is off all fuel flow goes thru the 1st TEE, thru the Check Valve and then on to the mechanical fuel pump.

When the fuel pump is on, all fuel flow goes thru the 1st TEE, thru the electric fuel pump, (the Check Valve blocks fuel trying to return to the inlet side of the electric fuel pump and fuel tank), and then on to the mechanical fuel pump.

Some applications use a electric fuel valve to allow fuel to go thru it to the mechanical fuel pump. This also acts as a anti theft deterrant when it is off vs a check valve.

One more thing to fail though vs the basic Check Valve system.

I used a Ford Starter Solenoid on the fender before the power cable to the starter solenoid. This kept people from hot wiring the ignition system. The 1/2 inch link chain between the hood and the front sway bar/padlock kept people from getting under the hood.

Tom V.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:07 PM

Thanks Tom. That’s my basic setup. Only I have rubber hoses tying in the tee and check valve.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run a mechanical and Carter P4070 electric pusher back by the tank and have since 2008 . I run the electric when I feel the need for a long high rpm run because my Q'jets bowl empties fairly quickly and the mechanical pump can't keep up. I also run the electric when I start the engine after it's sat for a week or two to reload the floatbowl. Turn on the key, flip the pumps switch and after a few seconds (and 3 deep pumps on the gas pedal) the engine will fire quickly.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.