Old 09-07-2021, 09:26 PM

Default Misc Things to Correct on my '70 T/A

For a few years I had been on the hunt for a '70 white with blue interior 4sp/console car pretty much all done. Last year I found one I ended up buying, and on top of that it is A/C, Custom Interior, & AM/FM 8-Track.

Rough history from I can gather from working back though a few of the owners is it was restored about 20 years ago in TX, using NOS parts for anything that may have needing to be replaced. Over the last 20 years it has passed though possibly 5 collections and had a total of 565 miles on it in the 20 years. The odometer had been zeroed at restoration and had 565 showing when I got it home. It now has about 720 on it. No one I have talked to about it knows who actually did the restoration.

Here is a link to my whole on-line folder of images for it.

Click Here for Online Image Folder

In trying to make it a little more "correct" I have some things I need to do to it

I thought about posting a few different posts to to keep things straight, but then decided to put all this in one.

One of the first things I noticed is when it was restored, they omitted the windshield washer system from under the hood. No tank, lines, or pump.
The harness for the pump is there but no pump attached to the wiper motor.
I see where there are places, like Ames, where I can order all the parts to complete it but I'd like to make sure I have a good understanding of how it goes together. Does the pump bolt to the front of the wiper motor? If so, it looks like you would have to remove the wiper motor cover first? I have looked at a lot of under hood images and I have seen the washer lines ran though the center of the hood, then go right and left, and I have also seen where they do to the right and left side of of the car and then up to the hood and squirters. Which is correct as to how it should be?

From researching around, I think I have the incorrect A/C compressor decal and the incorrect one on the air cleaner base. Looking at my under hood pictures, are there any other ones that look incorrect or missing?

While under the hood, I noticed this looks like it should have a vacuum line going to the one side of it that is not there, and I am not sure what it is for?

When restored, the under side of the car was painted black instead of red oxide as it should have been being a Norwood car. This is not surprising as pretty much any car being restored 20 years ago they would have pretty much been done in black. I mention this though, as the car has the space saver spare and an odd jack mount under the rear deck instead of being under the tire. At first I wondered if this was done during the restoration, but it looks like it was done originally and is still in the red oxide as it looks like it came from the factory. Thoughts?

One side of the hood scoop flapper hangs lower than the other. Upon inspecting it seems maybe there is a bushing that it rotates on that may be worn more than the other side. Is that common, and what is the best way to correct it?

Other than that, I am also going to get a black ball shift knob as from reading that seems to be what it also should have.

If anyone spends the time to look though my image folder, I would be very appreciative to know what else some of the experts here may see that I can try to correct.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't have a chance to look through your folder of images, but relative to your question about the jack mount... it appears your car has the later 2nd gen mount style that hung from the package tray. I believe these were used starting in '74 or '75. Definitely not original to a '70. From the picture, your entire rear seat strainer panel (the sheet metal panel directly behind the rear seat) is also incorrect for a '70 model.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 09-08-2021, 01:13 AM
Suspended

You can not but the jack mount brackets in reproduction, not sure when your was restored. But x2 on previous comment. On my '78 I had a damaged bracket that had been flattened by previous owner, used rear shelf cuts were the only option at the time. I picked up a few smaller bracket cuts, then also a complete parcel tray cut that included the speaker hole area, found that not only was there variation in the brackets but also the spacing for the jack. Years unknown but seemed to be comparing roughly 75 to a 79. Useless trivia, unrelated to 70.

Looks like regular red primer to me, not factory, but am also only familiar with my 78 also. There seems to be variation from an orange to a deeper red/brown. 2nd gens didn't have the bottle brackets, although it's neat.

A good colour pic of a 1970 Norwood Camaro factory underside.

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/kids/ox7.jpg

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 09-08-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what a beautiful car!

I used to prefer the blue cars, but I have since done an about face - I still love the blue cars, but I now prefer the white cars.
Thanks for sharing all those pictures, and the three videos.

The wiper stuff should be pretty straight forward, as (if my memory serves me) the wiper motor essentially doubles as the pump;
If you have a 1970 Firebird supplement service manual, it should spell out precisely how everything was routed ect.
If you need images of how it should look, I can't help right now because my car is blown absolutley apart... but I have all the parts (plus mine is a non-recessed wiper car, so I have a different wiper motor).

I can see that you have the rear jack bracket (and spare tire hold down bracket) pictured in your album, it's actually the bracket that you have in the very last picture;
The aforementioned service manual shows all three parts - they are in fact reproduced.
Frankly though if I were you, I'd be hard pressed to modify the rear dash or change the rear seatback - but it's your car, and I totally understand wanting to have your car correct.
I would guess (based on Keith's observation and comment prior to me seeing this thread) that odds are the whole seat back and rear dash were replaced as one piece - do you sitll have the front most bracket?;
The red primer seen under the rear dash to me looks to be flat - while the red oxide primer used on these cars has more of a semi-gloss appearance over time.
It's not unusual for rear dashes to be butchered for larger speakers, and if your seat back area was replaced, maybe your car went on a serious diet in the hunt for lower e/t's(?)
If you would like, I could snap a picture of what the 1970 rear seat area looked like...

About the paint on the underside of your car;
You are correct on the paint - if yours was a Van Nuy's car, then they were sprayed black underneath, but the Norwood cars were sent on a conveyor through a dip tank full of re-oxide primer - and then were never painted underneath - only body colour overspray would be seen just inside of the rockers and the wheel wells were painted body colour.

Now, I'd like to point out something that you may or may not have missed;

There is nothing more unnerving to me than driving down the road and hearing a bolt (ect) fall off your car... so if you haven't yet grabbed it, you may want to pick that baby up.

The black shifter ball is definitely the correct one for your car, but I'd put it as small fries...

That part that you think is missing a vacuum connection IS missing one - but I'd not replace it, or do it in a way to make it appear to be connected while disabling it;
That was a part of the "emissions" for 1970, iirc it essentially disabled vacuum advance in fourth gear - the side terminal had the vacuum line going to the distributor, and the end terminal had a small foam cover for venting vacuum. The electrical connection lopped down to your transmission, and there is a mechanical switch at the fourth gear gate.

I agree with your assertions on the a/c and air cleaner decals, but cannot be of assistance on showing you what is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trying to help.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	572712  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post

It's not unusual for rear dashes to be butchered for larger speakers, and if your seat back area was replaced, maybe your car went on a serious diet in the hunt for lower e/t's(?)
Your assertion on the possibility of a butchered rear deck for 6x9s makes a lot of sense. May have been some other reason, but I like this one.
As for cutting out the seat back/rear deck to be "correct", I won't be doing that. The car is too nice already to go that far into it.

For now, I am really just wanting to fix the few things I listed in this post that I know it needs without tearing it apart.

Over the next couple years though, a couple larger projects I would like to do would be to re-do the underneath in red oxide and replace the hood with a correct 70-71 one.

As for that "bolt", yes I did catch it. It was actually a small bolt, stuck in a short piece of vacuum line, just laying back there. Maybe it had previously been hanging off that emissions vacuum module since it was right there next to it?

Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple notes.
..The Ac compressor is a Delco circa 1989 and Alma was a builder.
By then there was a stock pile of cores and AC Delco did have many rebuilt, but new was available faster.
... Wiper motor is from a 76 or 77, which used a much better in tank pump. Originally you would get about 6-10 "swipes" with a dry blade before fluid
would get squirted on the window. With what you have now, its nearly instant, like a modern car. I run a stock bottle and bracket and a motor and hide the wires with the hose.
If youll use your wipers, you may like what you have so you do not scratch your Windshield .
Reference pic of the 1970 Package tray ( this I sold and sent to Florida for a trans Am a couple years ago. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 package tray.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	572722  

Old 09-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Suspended

Good pic

Old 09-12-2021, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on finding such a great 70
VERY Excellent option content, and it's beautiful.

Almost exactly what i would have ordered new