Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

421s had big dual snorkel air cleaners pre-Thermac. 1,000 cfm air cleaner. Think i have one in garage...somewhere. Probably next to a case of PF-23 oil filters.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The rectangle tapered snorkels showed up around '69. Pontiac used them on a lot of applications in single and dual configurations, but also Olds on the 442s, Buick on the GSs, Chev on the BBC cars (427 B-Bodies, 454 Montes), and also Cadillac on the 472s.

I believe the part will show up later this week. Due to hurricane Ida the seller has some logistics problems to overcome.

Another thought I had was what if it was an over the counter dealer piece...who knows.

I think the lid looks correct, just appears flat due to bad lighting in the pic.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The mystery air cleaner was delivered today. I looked it over and quickly found the patches.

Someone brazed the sensor hole, the hot air inlet hole and the oil breather hole on the side. Also smoothed over any remnants of the thermac bracket on the top side of the snorkels. Then put wrinkle paint on it. They did a decent job on the patches. Clean.
Still seems like a lot of work.

It’ll be perfect for my ‘65 that has none of that stuff. I know it’s the wrong style but it fits the Q Jet the best.

Incidentally, I did add a second snorkel to a 65 air cleaner but the base still needs to be modified to fit a Q jet. Not sure how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they look better without them anyway

Apparently someone else did to and removed them.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE