Old 08-19-2021, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default All new parts on front end

Sounds worse in the vid, any guesses on whats making all this noise, the parts are all new, upper & lower control arms.............springs are 1" lowering springs.

The body bolts are rubber, they look ok, but who knows.

Hope this thing uploads right. lol

Rich

https://youtu.be/xLQomHwWz_c

Old 08-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you tighten everything up at ride height? I have read on this forum if you don’t it could cause noises like that.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
Did you tighten everything up at ride height? I have read on this forum if you don’t it could cause noises like that.
Yep, tighten up at ride height, on some parts unable to get a torque wrench on, but i have everything pretty tight.

Pic here of the front body bolt, that seems to move some when bouncing the car around, cant get that any tighter, so not sure if thats supposed to move or not.

On the coil springs i have a rubber on the bottom or the spring, but not on the top, so thought maybe that was it.

I sprayed a little grease on the two front body bolts, that helped a little, but not much.

I guess next step is try tightening stuff a little more...........seems when i go that route, stuff breaks.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front body bolt.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	571632  

Old 08-19-2021, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No rubber goes on the top of the spring, but speaking of springs are you sure you have them located right against the guide notch?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have all parts with zerk fittings been greased until squeeze-out? This sounds suspension related, not body mount related.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is the nut and bolt in that body mount? Am i missing something in your picture?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200426_144434.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	571644  

Old 08-20-2021, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The nut is presumably inside the frame, since the photo shows the bolt head on the top side.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
No rubber goes on the top of the spring, but speaking of springs are you sure you have them located right against the guide notch?
Steve, good point, on my old springs one end was longer than the other, the new springs are the same on both ends, so i put the lower one in the correct spot, the top part of the spring im assuming is off. Checked with the moog springs, they are the same as the new ones, so not sure what to do with that.

ZeGermanHam, i got those greased good, if anything too much grease. lol

Cardo.........think mine are upside downs compared to yours, will have to check out a few cars at shows to see how they have theres.

As usual im doing everything twice here, got the lowering springs because it seems everyone says the stock sits the car up too high, now im too low........im already hitting the tire on the inner fender while comming into my driveway too fast.

Just hate the thought of messing with those springs again. oh boy

Rich

Old 08-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like control arm bushings squeaking. before pulling the springs loosen the bolts for the upper & lower CA bushings & see if the sound goes away or changes. also put the front tires up on sturdy/safe car ramps or jack stands under the lower arms if you dont have ramps & lay under it & have someone bounce the nose like in your video & listen for where the sound is coming from, with that loud of a noise you should be able to pinpoint where its coming from.

you mentioned you couldnt get a torque wrench on some bolts, good chance they arent tight enough & is allowing something to move that shouldnt & thats causing the squeak. the best way to tighten CA bushings with the weight of the car on them is to use ramps, that gives you clearance to swing a torque wrench on the lower bushings. if the top ones dont have access try some long extensions to get the torque wrench up & away from other parts.

the rubber insulators go on top the springs for sure & if the car sits too low they make extra thick top rubber spacers or tape 2 together, they also make universal rubber spacers for the bottom of the springs to raise the nose a little.

hope you can locate it, i had some squeaky poly bushings on one car that drove me nuts, i removed & replaced with rubber just a couple months ago, nice & quiet ride now.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To locate the noise I would suggest the tried and true way I've done it for decades. Put the car up on ramps, and have someone else bounce the car and put you hand on the rubber bushings, you should easily be able to feel which one/s are squeaking.

Just a guess, it's the sway bar to frame bushings, you should be able to work some spray silicone in and around the bar without disassembling it. Worst case scenario you might need to loosen the mounts and get some silicone around the sway bar.

In my experience, it's likely a rubber bushings from that noise in the video, rubber will squeak, urethane is even more prone to squeaking, hence the reason most urethane bushings come with silicone grease to be applied during installation.

I hope this helps.............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-20-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW my eyes must have been slits this morning.... looked right at that and didn't see the bolt head - it looked like a hole to me - sheesh! That body mount shouldn't move, so you might want to check it out but it's not the source of that noise - the others are right it's suspension related.... If you have access to a stethoscope that may help you find it too. You can pin it down to exactly which bushing is making the noise.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like control arm bushings to me as well.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess is sway bar bushings.

If they are OE control arm bushings, and are properly tight, they won't squeak. The center sleeve would be captured, and not move.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tips guys, looks like back on the Rhino ramps this weekend......a little more info the upper control arms are spc, with the high durometer rubber, the lowers are umi with the delrin bushings.

Im gonna try to find the noise with a stethoscope, hopefully i can figure that out......otherwise i will will try all the other suggestions.

Brad & HWYSTR...........will look into that also, the swaybar is aftermarket, think its with poly bushings...........will check better once i get the car on the ramps.

Once again, thanks for the help

Rich

Old 08-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
My guess is sway bar bushings.

If they are OE control arm bushings, and are properly tight, they won't squeak. The center sleeve would be captured, and not move.

Agree with this. Had that same nose with mine w. poly bushings. I loosened the brackets and sprayed lithium grease between the bushing and bracket and they went silent. I replaced my brackets with a pair of Energy Suspensions brackets that had grease fittings on them.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, looks like back on the Rhino ramps this weekend......a little more info the upper control arms are spc, with the high durometer rubber, the lowers are umi with the delrin bushings.

Im gonna try to find the noise with a stethoscope, hopefully i can figure that out......otherwise i will will try all the other suggestions.

Brad & HWYSTR...........will look into that also, the swaybar is aftermarket, think its with poly bushings...........will check better once i get the car on the ramps.

Once again, thanks for the help

Rich
Ah, we get more info at last! Did you lube the crap out of the arms when you installed them? The frame points too, where the bushings ride? And if they have grease fittings you pumped them up?

I don't think you need a stethoscope, you should know if you lubed those points or not, and if not, you know what you need to do. Lube everything.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 08-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Agree with this. Had that same nose with mine w. poly bushings. I loosened the brackets and sprayed lithium grease between the bushing and bracket and they went silent. I replaced my brackets with a pair of Energy Suspensions brackets that had grease fittings on them.
I prefer the energy suspension sway bar bushings, they are impregnated with graphite, or used to be, think they still are. There is a groove in them too, that lines up with the grease fitting.

I'm still thinking it's the sway bar, but report back when done.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah, we get more info at last! Did you lube the crap out of the arms when you installed them? The frame points too, where the bushings ride? And if they have grease fittings you pumped them up?

I don't think you need a stethoscope, you should know if you lubed those points or not, and if not, you know what you need to do. Lube everything.

Ok, on the grease fitting, i pumped them up when first installed, then the other day i put even more grease in them........did the frame points also, maybe not enough, which would be hard to believe with all the grease i got laying on the parts.

pic of my sway bar fitting............will get back to you when i get the car up on the ramps and get a better look.

Thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sway bar grease.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	571660  

Old 08-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, those poly sway bar bushings are squeakers, I usually use the energy suspension ones. As I recall no matter how much lube you throw at those they always squeak, especially in the winter.

I recall having to sand the bar smooth once where the bushing rides, the paint I used made it very tight.

You can isolate it by removing the end links or dropping the bar.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I prefer the energy suspension sway bar bushings, they are impregnated with graphite, or used to be, think they still are. There is a groove in them too, that lines up with the grease fitting.

I'm still thinking it's the sway bar, but report back when done.

just an FYI: energy brand bushings are not impregnated with graphite & never were as far as i knew for the last 25+ years. the graphite poly bushings were i think the PST brand that used to be advertised on the back of every hot rod or other car magazine, not sure if they are still around though.

energy makes sway bar bushings that can have extra grease added, the OPs are greasable based on the pic with the zerks & if greased properly should not be making the noise.

FWIW, i have the non greasable energy sway bar bushings in 3 different cars ranging from 5-12 years old & none of them squeak in any temps, they all have poly end links too. the control arm bushings however do squeak a little in the car they have been in for 12 years, i lubed them right with the supplied thick silicone grease but after about 7-8 years they do make a slight squeak when bouncing the nose like the OP did in his video but nowhere near as pronounced & loud. a light spray of silicone on them each season keeps them quiet but i will remove them someday & relube them again.

just wanted to mention that not all poly sway bar bushings squeak & the area they ride should never be painted, im sure that will contribute to squeaks.

OP, could the rubber you mentioned on the bottom of the springs be causing the noise? maybe they are rubbing or binding on the spring or CA somehwere? sounds like you greased everything well enough & installed them all the right way that they should not be making the noise. it sounds like a rubber to metal squeak coming from somewhere. let us know what you find under the car.