Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Youmans went to proline

Buddy of mine said that Youmans is proline powered and went a 3.91. Nice to see him run a number but sad that he took the Pontiac out

Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Hemi!
He want to be competitive....3.90’s wasn’t quick enough

GTO George .

Old 02-28-2021, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know his qualifying passes were 3.9's .... Probably should've switched to E's and save himself a bunch of money.... and increase his chances of going TTF!

EHTTFMF!!!

Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, guess that means that Pontiac records for the Boss Bird get to stand until Steve Dale gets out again.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:33 PM
Boost Engineer

No surprises here.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In a class going 3.70s , not a big surprise

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I know his qualifying passes were 3.9's .... Probably should've switched to E's and save himself a bunch of money.... and increase his chances of going TTF!

EHTTFMF!!!
How you doing Paul?

GTO George

Old 02-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Pontiac’s are cool.....Pontiac’s are fast but there only going to take you so far!
PPTTF!

GTO George

Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your ultimate goal is to be at the top of a given class, and possibly win it, the engine type just becomes a tool to get you there. Snap-On, MAC, Matco, Craftsman, choose the tool that best suits the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
How you doing Paul?

GTO George
Doing well George. Sun is starting to shine and the snow is melting. Starting to get that "I want to go racing feeling".

How are things by you?

Old 02-28-2021, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Doing well George. Sun is starting to shine and the snow is melting. Starting to get that "I want to go racing feeling".

How are things by you?
Oh heck I’m just peachy, just getting car ready for racing like everyone else....except maybe one!
Can’t wait!

GTI George

The Following User Says Thank You to GTOGEORGE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Elephant in the room.

How many clean passes did he have on the car before turning it around backwards into the wall? How many clean passes afterwards with the Poncho motor?

I'm thinking not many, which is why I'm scratching my head pondering if enough test consideration was given before jumping ship to another power plant?

Old 03-01-2021, 06:49 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If your ultimate goal is to be at the top of a given class, and possibly win it, the engine type just becomes a tool to get you there. Snap-On, MAC, Matco, Craftsman, choose the tool that best suits the job.
As well as the type of racing.

Some run 180 mph, you have run 250 mph and others have run 302.674 MPH (with a 1946 Ford Flathead engine tuned by Bruce Crower and Dick Landy) with a basic centrifugal Vortech supercharger on a engine that had not been produced for 45 years. The Pontiac 455 engine, as you know, has not been produced in about the same time span.

The record is still there. Looks like your 250 mph run record might be around for some time to come Mike.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Elephant in the room.

How many clean passes did he have on the car before turning it around backwards into the wall? How many clean passes afterwards with the Poncho motor?

I'm thinking not many, which is why I'm scratching my head pondering if enough test consideration was given before jumping ship to another power plant?
do you want to test or do you want to race? why waste a year to test only to confirm the eventual outcome.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yawn, I've lost interest in Youman now.... not really a Pontiac guy,just a guy with too much money....boring

Old 03-01-2021, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
do you want to test or do you want to race? why waste a year to test only to confirm the eventual outcome.
If you can confirm the eventual outcome after a handful of passes, then why bother with the unique combination in the first place?

I'm just thinking out loud, I mean, after spending 6 figures on a car, it seems like it didn't get enough time to get dialed in, like he was just scratching the surface of what it could do, so it brings to mind why even fool with the unique combination in the first place, just get what everybody else is running and get to it.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to agree with pretty much everything Brian Baker has posted. My thoughts exactly

Old 03-01-2021, 09:36 AM

Full disclosure that I'm a Pontiac First guy and a humble bracket racer here and have never attempted a max effort Pontiac race motor. I would love a Pontiac to beat all brands and was stoked when I found out years back that Shearer's Judge clone ran a Butler motor because it got national attention and renewed smack talk between friends that ran brand X.
IIRC, I first saw Youmans' Goat on the dyno in May 2019. Hasn't he been testing for over 18 months?

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it all comes down to the "personal goals" of the owner of the car. Through his actions, Mr. Youman has decided that being fast enough to qualify in a class and put himself in the best position to win an event, (s), required switching to a well proven, cookie cutter engine that can get him there with readily available parts if something were to go wrong. IMO, there is nothing wrong with that. It's just a change in goals and outcome for that car. Is he no longer a "Pontiac guy?" I think that is a harsh assessment of all the effort he put into the project. He obviously likes Pontiacs, or why else would he have spent what has to be well into 6 figures developing a Pontiac style engine as far as he did?. However, in my mind, this particular car is no longer a Pontiac at all. Just a Pontiac body shell housing a generic purpose designed race engine no different than if our Boss Bird funny car would have run a Brad Anderson Hemi. Possibly he will build and race a traditional Pontiac powered car in the future or switch engines back and forth depending on the class and venue. I wish him luck either way. I will add that qualifying #1 at the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion against a field of all Hemi cars was one of the proudest days of my life as a real Pontiac guy. Did it win us anything? Not a damn thing other than smiles and cheers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The distinction between a unique test bed and a competitive class car is a valid one. The Boss Bird was definitely a test bed/science project. If the only goal was to be class competitive, we would have put an Alan Johnson hemi in it from day one.

I think all of us Pontiac people wanted to see Youman take things to a new level. Sigh........

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post: