Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Borgeson Street & Performance Series, 12.7:1 Ratio - It's Perfect

Just thought I would share. I bought a Lares 1105 steering box to replace the original box to my car, and it was horrible. I could turn the wheel from center two-three inches each direction and the car would not respond. Also, the power assist was very low I assume due to the incorrect torsion bar size. I hated driving the car after this.

I then installed the Borgeson and its awesome. Correct power assist is back. No dead zone on center. Used their brass flare inserts for the hose connections. Instructions say to tap brass flare adapters in with a punch but mine fell in. No punch needed. One of the mounting holes has a clearance issue when using the stock frame bolts. The end of the bolt will hit the steering box body after you torque it down. You can Dremel it shorter, but I just used 3 washers. Borgeson says to use their rag joint but I preferred a factory style rag joint and got one from Lee Power Steering.

Spend the extra money and get a Borgeson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	557094  

The Following User Says Thank You to allenga For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good to hear. Looking forward to hooking mine up.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to know. I felt that way going from a 1968 4-turn lock to lock to 69-70 2.8 turn Variable ratio box. done that a couple times.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find my post on this. My car isn’t on the road but after exhaustive research this was the conclusion I came too. I hope my experience is a good as yours

Old 12-31-2020, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Part number? Purchased from?

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 12-31-2020, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't follow around here as much as I used to, so I'm asking...what car did you put this in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
Just thought I would share. I bought a Lares 1105 steering box to replace the original box to my car, and it was horrible. I could turn the wheel from center two-three inches each direction and the car would not respond. Also, the power assist was very low I assume due to the incorrect torsion bar size. I hated driving the car after this.

I then installed the Borgeson and its awesome. Correct power assist is back. No dead zone on center. Used their brass flare inserts for the hose connections. Instructions say to tap brass flare adapters in with a punch but mine fell in. No punch needed. One of the mounting holes has a clearance issue when using the stock frame bolts. The end of the bolt will hit the steering box body after you torque it down. You can Dremel it shorter, but I just used 3 washers. Borgeson says to use their rag joint but I preferred a factory style rag joint and got one from Lee Power Steering.

Spend the extra money and get a Borgeson.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacMatt72 View Post
Part number? Purchased from?
Jegs. Part # 800130

Old 12-31-2020, 01:23 PM

Glad it worked out! They have been fantastic for our cars, quite a difference over stock!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interestingly Borgeson must require vendors like Jegs and Summit, etc., to sell the # 800130 for the same price-$445.50 FWIW

Still, I'm planning to get one for mine.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 12-31-2020, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin70TA View Post
Glad it worked out! They have been fantastic for our cars, quite a difference over stock!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I just can't say enough good things about the Borgeson after that Lares 1105. One thing I learned, if you have a good core and it just leaks (like mine), don't give it up.