Old 10-16-2020, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow...that is one beautiful workshop. Love it!

Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Yes, still have the '55 and what I call my gas station workshop.

I did sell that '57 pickup last week the day before buying the GTO. The buyer of the pickup was in Tucson and I drove it there and dropped it off. Then I rented the U-haul and trailer and headed up to Phoenix to get the goat.

My garage photo was before my cab-off restomod on the the pickup. Here's how it turned out:

I've owned this car 25 years and finished my second restomod on it last year:

NICE garage and collection!!!

Old 10-16-2020, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
That night time photo of your shop makes me want to go hang out
I'm with "dataway", like to top off the tank while we're there.

Frank

Old 10-16-2020, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys! Definitely my dream garage and man cave. I had it built by a contractor/friend and my wife and I did some of the work too. That was in the year I retired back in 2008.

Been working on the GTO a bit every day and took just took some photos of where I'm at now.

I'll show a few issues to deal with but they are pretty minor.
I don't think I mentioned before that there was one minor hole in the floor in the front p/s corner where it meets the toe board. It was caused by a leaking heater core. I could tell in the seller's photos that it also damaged the body mount bracket attached to the firewall. As I suspected, I think it will be better to replace it than try to repair it. It isn't a big deal to do when the body is off the frame. The hole in the floor isn't a big issue either. I can make patches for that easy.

[IMG]https://www.hotrodders.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down//media/img_1851-jpg.109589/full/IMG]

I didn't know this until now but will be a pretty easy repair. I will remove the brace to make the repairs then weld it back on.

Looks like someone cut an access hole in the p/s inner fender. I'm guessing it happened when the heater core was replaced. The seller told me it was a prior owner that had it done. Simple fix.

Looks like someone enlarged the slots in the bumper braces with a blow torch. I guess to help in trying adjust the endura bumper?

Anyway, all this work told me even more that I've got a very solid car. Absolutely no evidence of any collision damage.

Last edited by roger1; 10-16-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Looking good, moving right along...

Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another body mount bracket photo:

Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Shame someone would rather torch the brace's than replace the core support bushings, shame about the inner fender too. Like you say though, not to shabby overall.

Those brace's should be easy to come by if you want to replace them, I would think they're plentiful.

Frank

Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Garage is awesome and shows well with that great photography work. Did you do the paint on these projects yourself? ElCamino looks flawless.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks!
I am kind of a photography buff but that photo of my shop was taken by a professional that owed us a favor. And btw, my shop was featured in a magazine article in special edition called "Great Garage Makeovers". They contacted me when they found photos I had posted on a forum.

Yes. I've painted all my project cars. The Bel Air, pickup and El Camino were all painted in the room the GTO resides in now.
I create a makeshift paint booth out of that end stall by installing two 24 inch fans in the window on the back end and an inlet filter wall with spray booth filters on the garage door end. Works pretty well.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dry desert cars basically rust free sheet metal is always fascinating to look at. Good luck with your project.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great paint booth and garage. Overall looks like you found a solid straight ride. Congrats

Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pretty impressive that you've accomplish so much with that garage and all the past projects. Gives me inspiration looking forward to things still on my bucket list! So if I fill up at your place, is the Fire Chief gas still 24.9 cents a gallon?

Star-Quality Texaco Garage
http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...xicoGarage.pdf

Old 10-18-2020, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Great paint booth and garage. Overall looks like you found a solid straight ride. Congrats
Thanks.
As I mentioned, I bought the car with only seeing photos. There were a lot of photos so I thought I was getting a pretty good car. But upon disassembly, it's really much better than my impressions were. So that windshield I removed was the original. Today I removed the rest of the convertible top and I think that was original too. I don't think this car has ever had so much as a dent in it either. You can see really well behind the quarters in these cars and there's no evidence of previous body damage. I got the driver door guts all out today. Not even a spot of rust on the inside. I'm amazed. More photos coming in a day or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Pretty impressive that you've accomplish so much with that garage and all the past projects. Gives me inspiration looking forward to things still on my bucket list! So if I fill up at your place, is the Fire Chief gas still 24.9 cents a gallon?

Star-Quality Texaco Garage
http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...xicoGarage.pdf
Thanks for posting that link!! I didn't know my magazine article was online anywhere. Very cool!
I don't even have to tell you the story of why I chose 24.9¢. You are welcome to come and try to squeeze some gas out of that pump but you might not get very much!

Here's a better photo of my Corvette. I sold the car to guy who put it in his private collection a few years ago. I talked to him the other day and he told me he has a black '69 GTO in his collection too. I will go over and see it one of these days.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Progress photos

Removed the evaporator box.

Removed the rest of the ragtop (and it was literally in rags) and then removed the frame.

The rust is only slight surface rust. No metal is even close to being compromised. All the tack strip tabs are fine. I believe the ragtop was factory original. I'll blast this and coat with black epoxy primer from Southern Polyurethanes (SPI).

Removed all the guts out of the driver door. Dirty inside but no rust at all. Undercoating in good shape.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Done today:
I got all the glass and hardware out of the doors and quarters. Removed old exhaust system. Removed doors.
Pretty much down to removing everything at the dash now before acquiring some steel to brace the body with.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Worked on the car some this afternoon.
Got the dash and wiring harness out but have a little more to remove there.
The wiring is pretty brittle and I'm inclined to replace it all with new. The upper ducting to the defrost vents was so brittle that it would just crumple in your hand. Notice all the pieces on the floor.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Worked on the car some this afternoon.
Got the dash and wiring harness out but have a little more to remove there.
The wiring is pretty brittle and I'm inclined to replace it all with new. The upper ducting to the defrost vents was so brittle that it would just crumple in your hand. Notice all the pieces on the floor.

I just changed my dash harness. It is a lot of money for wires but like you said they are brittle. When you compare them side by side you will see it is worth it. Love the pictures and updating your doing...

Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow ... the entire dash comes out on a 69? Lucky you ... 68's are a pain with all the metal staying put.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice...you're moving along pretty quickly.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Amazing, no words!