Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Jack stand recall

Not sure if anyone posted this. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...of-collapsing/

Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More sub standard products...
I bet almost any Jack stand that looks like those IE Lowes Kobalts are the same

Old 05-19-2020, 10:21 PM

Thanks! My Tempest is up on those right now!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...80#post6128880

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:00 AM
Boost Engineer

I will have to check on the ones I have.
Thanks

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I wonder, is if there are tons of those out there under different brand names and only HF is standing up and recalling them?

I feel like Im less at risk, because I use the heavy duty ones for cars that never weigh more than 2 tons, but I would like to know if the MFG in China is making those same ones for 20 brand names.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t even know where mine came from but I also always leave the jack in place with a little tension on it

Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to Youtube, and reference "defective jack stands", plenty of videos there that are brands besides HF.

Yes, as we all know one or two chinese plants just paint them different colors, and slap different stickers on them. HF is probably the biggest target at this time, so they were the first one to issue a recall.

This shows exactly how little value the chicoms place on human life (or any life, if you remember the dog treat/food fiasco), and how much value they place on money, over lives.

Years ago some offshore made jack stands were made from exhaust tubing sawed into three legs with a sheetmetal band spot welded to the legs after they were splayed. They had a pin that allowed height adjustment for an inner piece of tube that had a sheet metal frame saddle welded to it. I believe they were rated at 3 tons.

When I bought out the guy that previously owned my garage/gas station, I inherited a pair of these stands. When stripping out the 69 GP race car in my signature pics, I used them to hold up the rear of the car. I doubt the rear of the car weighed more than 1/2 ton after all the components were removed. All that was remaining was the frame, main body sheet metal, and the rear axle. After sitting on those stands for 2-3 weeks, I came in one morning to find the car sitting on the floor. One stand had collapsed and pulled the car sideways tipping over the remaining stand.

If anyone still has any of these antique stands around, I'd recommend tossing them before something like this happens to someone else. Picture below:

They were sold by a bunch of retailers, with different paint and stickers.

Article from the H.A.M.B. about these 3 legged stands, it shows a picture of the failed collapsed stand:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ill-you.97173/

One more thing to add, If you're working on an asphalt driveway, the jack stands will sink into the asphalt, the higher the ambient temperature the quicker they sink, and they can tip over. I try to use a board, or piece of plywood under them to alleviate tearing up the asphalt and avoid them tipping over.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-20-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a set of those three legged jack stands. I never used them. I just checked the ones I have. Have had them for years so no idea where they came from but they seem robust

Old 05-20-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heck over 45 years of working on cars and lots of those 3 legged jack stands(when we used jack stands in high school) never had one collapse, but have heard of that potential. But mine are old enough they are probably USA made. But I generally use the newer cast ones-and do have a HB pair I'll have to check out. Several AC Delco,

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-20-2020, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing about this post is I have a lift and I started this damn project in my driveway two miles from my shop ��

Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After about the 7th thread on this, I checked my jackstands and found that they didn't come from Harbor Frieght. Better yet, they don't appear to have the issue that the recalled stands do.

This YouTube video explains what the problem is, and is a good tutorial for checking your own jackstands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwcWdKwPvhI

Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Had a customer's T/A up on four of those tubular stands with the wheels removed. 1 started to collapse and the rest followed. It's difficult to get a car off the ground with no wheels on it !

Old 05-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That video was helpful. Ill go check mine out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked mind their Autocraft I bought them at Advance in 2016 , I remember than that I had bought two at Harbour Freight to have 4 and returned them and bought two more from Advance

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

I just checked mine and my car is on the defective ones. I guess I will be set her back down on the wheels..... and return them promptly for some safer ones! Thanks for this information!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 05-22-2020, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I’ve been crawling around under cars supported with my stands for some years (decades), I wasn’t too worried about them. But I looked. None came from Harbor Freight, but all 3 sets are Chinese. Turns out the “newest” ones had a sticker showing a 2001 mfg date and none carried a number anything like those being recalled, though the stands do look vaguely similar. At that point, I put the driveshaft back in the car, topped off the TKO and lowered the car back to the ground and off the jack stands it had been on for a few weeks.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Boost Engineer

My multiple sets of Jackstands were made it China but years ago, by a company that uses a "T" and then a number on their stands. My 6 TON stands typically go under the rear axle of the car when I am working on it. These are not formed stands. They are heavy metal "welded" stands and ALL of the Stands I own have very sharp (well machined) teeth on the sliding adjustment bars. The locks are also very snug on these stands, no slop anywhere. They need to be oiled up though, lol!
IF I have any HF stands they might be the pair that I bought to support the lawn tractor front suspension when I am sharpening the blades. I will have to check on those and see who made them.

That being said, I still use wooden stands that were created by screwing and glueing 2X4 lumber together that fit the tire diameters well. A set of those go under the rear tires and 2nd set goes under front tires AFTER I have the rear axle on the 6 ton stands. I use a floor jack to raise the front suspension (jack under the engine crossmember) so at some point I can remove the floor jack for other tasks and the vehicle is at the proper height to do transmission/clutch/bellhousing work. I have a transmission stand I made to raise the Nash Trans to the correct height to go on the guide pins installed in the Lakewood bellhousing. A very safe way to install stuff. I have stored my car that way for many years as plastic sheeting keeps the moisture away from the bottom of the chassis (concrete floor), and the height of the wooden stands and 6 ton stands keep the bottom of the car above the moisture vapor height always in a garage in the winter months. Carpet and mats just get wet from Michigan snow.

Buy the best stands (or make the best stands) you can afford. I have never regretted buying those 6 ton stands.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:28 PM

Bought 4 of the 6-ton stands in 1992.

Still working fine. I used them to build a complete 3”’exhaust for my GTO just after purchasing them. Recently replaced all the brake lines on my bus using them.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Boost Engineer

My 3 ton "Lawn Mower Stands" are very similar to yours B-man.
Very Tight clearances between the rack, the stand, and the locking mechanism.

The rack teeth again are well made and the stands are way overkill for holding up a riding lawn mower. All of my stands again were older stands with the "T" manufacturer.

Tom V.

I have several of the Harbor Freight tool carts & rolling 44" Tool Chests and the only issue I ever had was one chest had a bad spot weld on ONE DRAWER.
Wonder what happened on the jack stands.