THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NASCAR continues to sink...

After seeing the weak turnouts at many events this year, and the embarrassing turnout at last year's Brickyard 400, where Jeff Gordon had to make a comment about all the empty grandstands, NASCAR continues to slip.

According to Forbes.com and its valuations of NASCAR's top nine teams, the current value of Hendrick Motorsports ($348 million) is relatively unchanged since 2010 ($350 million). However, the average team has seen a 31.1% drop in profit since 2010 which has translated into an average team value of $139.7 million, down 16.4% during the same span.

NASCAR's popularity surged up until 2007, but then the bubble burst. Forbes blames the recent decline in values on plummeting attendance and TV ratings.

What is particularly interesting is that the last decade has seen the number of teams reduced through mergers and acquisitions, which you would think would increase the value of larger teams. But that is not happening.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good. I want the Nascar from the 60's - 80's back. But we know that's not gonna happen.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

What big event happened November 2007, everything is effected, some shot themselves in the foot making things worse NASCAR be one it is.

Gregg

Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

You're preach'n to the choir, here....

So ironic, Smokey Yunick railed on, in his book about these days (as in since 2007...) could be com'n.

His concern for the sport was about the common working folks that supported this sport from the very earliest days. Promoters charging way to much for everything. Hotels, Motels jacking up prices for race weekends....

NASCAR and NHRA have done a few things to help, but nothing monumental so far...It's the same old race venue for both associations that it's been.

Some excitement needs to be pumped into racing to gain people's interest, even if the man of the house is a computer geek, and not a gearhead.

Smokey died in 2001, even then nobody outside of the mechanics that built the engines knew what the inside of the Indy car engines looked like, or knew how they worked. These are things that stimulate the interest of a lot of guys (w/ mechanical interests), to have an interest in the sport.

Everything's a big bad secret!!! It's no secret where the sport is headed though...

Anyone notice the amount of attention that those crazy outlaw street racing guys are getting? Or I should say, do you know HOW MUCH attention they are getting.

The essentially only 1/4 mile drag strip in central Oklahoma is in Noble, Oklahoma. The first Saturday of each they have a pro-street drag race event, 14.00, 12.00,10.00, and a 275 tire class and an outlaw class ( I might have missed one, Chief ?). Years past there might be about as many spectators as participants, roughly 1000-2000 folks, a fun event...

Three years ago was the last time they held this event on Friday night.....The event was advertised w/ the outlaw racers being there...There were probably 10,000 (or more)in attendence (yes I was there!) all to see the outlaw racers, it was insane.

Anyone see something small that's working and two large something's that are not???
I don't know how to connect the dots and jump start the larger two, but some heads need to start coming out of their perspective tailpipes soon, or it'll BE over......

I'm done

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
What big event happened November 2007, everything is effected, some shot themselves in the foot making things worse NASCAR be one it is.

Gregg
I may not be following you, but the financial turmoil of 2008 may be it....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

here we go again.....

Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was never a big fan of NASCAR but when you go back to the days when they were truly stock cars, that was cool.

As stated above, the average spectator has no connection to the cars running around the track. Their Chevy has nothing in common with the Chevy running around. So much for win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.

Unfortunately, that's the way this country is going. Everyone has to have an equal chance at everything, and all the cars basically are the same. Long gone are the days of trying wild things like when the Superbirds hit the track.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JMO,racing has never been better.Look at the "good old days"see how many cars finished on the lead lap and also how many laps were between the 1st and 2nd place cars.Everyone remembers a few races where they were bumping and grinding the last lap but really go back and see the results.I loved the old stock car racing because of the cars but the side by side racing virtually everyweek has never been better.TomTom

Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

IMHO, they (NASCAR) lost a lot of fans when they went too PC and cleaned up the sport. People wanted rivalries and fighting, DW made them famous with his mouth and the rivalries that followed.

The other thing, again IMHO, that they did that really hurt was the ricer spoilers a couple of years ago. They were going after the Fast n Furious section, but that went against the faithful fan base they had. Its somewhat better today, but...

Perhaps they should look into WWE wrestling and Mohammad Ali to learn about creating a large fan base...

Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
here we go again.....

Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Tom I agree with that 100%, but they took away the "show" aspect of it.
Fans want to root for their driver, and hate the other guys. This, lets all be friends deal isn't working.

FWIW, I never liked NASCAR even though my Father was a lifetime fan. I loved drag racing, period. Then in the early 90's I started looking at them running 9K RPM for 500 miles and I became a fan because of the technology. Then I got to know the drivers and became an Earnhardt fan. Today I'm an 88 fan, but honestly Jr drives too clean and is way too nice, NASCAR needs more attitude like Kyle Busch brings to the game.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Toyota entered NASCAR. I stopped watching. That about sums it up.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think a lot of it has to do with the depression (called economic downturn to be politically correct), coupled with the fact that as every year passes, fewer and fewer younger kids are interested in auto racing in general. They're being raised to believe the internal combustion is evil, and because of their financial status, they rarely get to enjoy muscle cars. Plus, they simply don't care that much about cars anymore. They don't turn wrenches, and they're far more engaged in escaping reality via videogames and social networking.

Of course, NASCAR isn't dying because younger people are losing interest, but it's part of the reason.

TV coverage is TOO good now, and it's much cheaper to watch a race on HDTV, or via the web, tied into your favorite driver's radio, or following them using their in-car camera. The NFL is facing the same problem. It's much better to watch (or DVR) a game, watch it in HD, takes breaks, etc., than freezing your butt off in 15 degree weather watching a single big screen TV, and paying $75 a ticket.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im watching Eldora,the trucks on dirt right now on Fox sports 1!tom

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Im watching Eldora,the trucks on dirt right now on Fox sports 1!tom
Same here. It's taking NASCAR back to it's roots.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've watched TWO races all year. 10 yrs ago, I wouldn't miss one. NASCAR lost its soul when mammon because its main focus. Big Bill would kick lil' Brian's backside IF he could see what's happened to NASCAR. As I've pointed out before, the majority of NASCAR venues have seen a dramatic loss of ticket sales since 2008. Some here keep beating the drum that NASCAR is "fine". Daytona ELIMINATING 45,000 seats ISN'T "fine". Unless something is done to revitalize the sport, I can foresee a time when NASCAR is actually SMALLER than it was 30 yrs ago.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bring back the cigaretts...Winsten Cup, get rid of the TOYJOKA cars, bring back the old name plates..Chevy-Buick-Pontiac-Plymouth/Dodge-Olds.
And a wardrobe male-funtion with Dumika

Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bullseye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the depression (called economic downturn to be politically correct), coupled with the fact that as every year passes, fewer and fewer younger kids are interested in auto racing in general. They're being raised to believe the internal combustion is evil, and because of their financial status, they rarely get to enjoy muscle cars. Plus, they simply don't care that much about cars anymore. They don't turn wrenches, and they're far more engaged in escaping reality via videogames and social networking.

Of course, NASCAR isn't dying because younger people are losing interest, but it's part of the reason.

TV coverage is TOO good now, and it's much cheaper to watch a race on HDTV, or via the web, tied into your favorite driver's radio, or following them using their in-car camera. The NFL is facing the same problem. It's much better to watch (or DVR) a game, watch it in HD, takes breaks, etc., than freezing your butt off in 15 degree weather watching a single big screen TV, and paying $75 a ticket.
How much does an average ticket cost?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I go to fontana every year and I see more kids at the race than I did 5-6 years ago.Not sure if its because the new younger drivers that are in the sport now.Chase Elliot and Jeb Burton are a couple.Tom