Old 09-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to ask you once the car gets here. Depends on the overall condition of the tank of course. I am sure the owner would like to save the OE tank if practical. The car will likely go to Mecum or the like. Dripping gas down the red carpet probably isn't a good look or good way to get top dollar. Talked to owner a few days ago. He is busy moving 41 years of crap from all around the car so it can be moved. Car should have very minimal rust. Has been in climate controlled storage the entire time but was not prepared before storage.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I was going to ask you once the car gets here. Depends on the overall condition of the tank of course. I am sure the owner would like to save the OE tank if practical. The car will likely go to Mecum or the like. Dripping gas down the red carpet probably isn't a good look or good way to get top dollar. Talked to owner a few days ago. He is busy moving 41 years of crap from all around the car so it can be moved. Car should have very minimal rust. Has been in climate controlled storage the entire time but was not prepared before storage.
Post up some pics when you get it. Always fun to get a good look at non-restored cars.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
Post up some pics when you get it. Always fun to get a good look at non-restored cars.
If the owner is OK with it, I will be happy to. He is still digging it out of storage and preparing to have it transported over here. Probably be here end of the month.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Little update. Owner has decided to replace the fuel tank rather than repair it. I will transfer the neck from the original tank. Vehicle still has not been delivered to me. Probably be a couple more weeks. I have an engine removal to do on a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle next week and the TA will be next. The Chevelle engine will be out a couple months for replacement, rods hanging out the side of the block.
I will ask TA owner about posting pics as soon as it gets here. I did find out before storage , engine was run with fuel line off until it quit and the fuel pump was drained. So that's good news. Fuel tank is 1/3 full of 35 year old gas though. Thanks again for the tips and information.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Little update. Owner has decided to replace the fuel tank rather than repair it. I will transfer the neck from the original tank. Vehicle still has not been delivered to me. Probably be a couple more weeks. I have an engine removal to do on a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle next week and the TA will be next. The Chevelle engine will be out a couple months for replacement, rods hanging out the side of the block.
I will ask TA owner about posting pics as soon as it gets here. I did find out before storage , engine was run with fuel line off until it quit and the fuel pump was drained. So that's good news. Fuel tank is 1/3 full of 35 year old gas though. Thanks again for the tips and information.

I'd find an original, like this Facebook one. As you may be able to see, this one has the sheet metal logo.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-5583273df0c7

Old 09-30-2021, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine had the car number written on it in blue (would have been handwritten on build sheet). Leftover tape from where the build sheet was taped. Indented fuel filler. My underside was painted black , so I found no sheet metal stencil. Notice vent line length...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdGasTankGreasePenMarking.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	574133   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdGasTankBuildSheetTape.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	574134   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdGasTankFillerIndented.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	574135   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdGasTankVentLineAndClip.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	574136   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdGasTankFuelSenderClip.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	574137  

Old 10-01-2021, 01:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Fuel tank is 1/3 full of 35 year old gas though. Thanks again for the tips and information.
From doing my dads car up in 2007, I can honestly tell you that the 10 gallons of sunoco from 1966 was still flammable. I poured it on our gravel driveway, and my friend got into my son's go kart and drove thru the flames after I lit it on fire.
OK, yes, there might have been some alcohol involved.

My neighbors must love the free entertainment. Anywhere else, you have to pay for a show like this.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-01-2021, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I'd find an original, like this Facebook one. As you may be able to see, this one has the sheet metal logo.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-5583273df0c7
If there was something specific about the OE tank that was a show stopper among the resale crowd, he would have to do that. I am doing the work on the car and the owner understands that I can't tie up my shop and lift while he is searching the country for an OE gas tank. I would need to remove the tank and get one reinstalled and do whatever is necessary to get the car running in a week tops. I am getting too old to be pushing cars all over the property by myself. I just removed a blown-up engine from a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle today. Man, that thing was extremely hard to push around with power steering and that boat anchor of useless cast iron, AKA big block Chevy with 2 connecting rods punched through the oil pan and pieces of pistons and cylinder wall in the left exhaust manifold!! So much for that numbers matching car.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. The owner of the car has decided to do some of the needed work to get the car running himself and then I will help him as needed. He is pretty motivated to get it running before the real Ohio weather hits, which will be in the next 3 weeks or so typically. So he did pull the gas tank today. It is shot but the filler neck is salvageable. He is removing the rust now and I will silver solder it into the new tank He sent me a couple pics I can share. More pics will be coming in the near future. Happy to share. I haven't worked on an SD since my days at the Pontiac dealer so it is a real privilege to work on this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SD side.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	577089   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd tank out.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	577090   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd tank.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	577091   Click image for larger version

Name:	sending unit.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	577092  

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a buildsheet on the gas tank?

That fuel level is toast I think.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-07-2021, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Find a buildsheet on the gas tank?

That fuel level is toast I think.

He is fortunate to have a GM replacement NOS sending unit and sock. Checked it yesterday with an OHM meter. It is right on spec. There was no build sheet on the fuel tank and it looks like it had never been removed. The exhaust system is original as well, I think. The muffler has a couple rust holes in it. Nothing serious. He is having a complete Gardner exhaust system made for it. They are 4-5 months out on delivery. So we will run it with the current exhaust. He has the original window sticker. I will have to ask him if I can post it. I am working for him so need to honor his requests. It's a nice, unmolested car. Even has EGR and TCS systems still on the engine.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a really nice survivor!

That last picture is testament to why all my cars are stored with a full tank of fuel and a can of Sea Foam added.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO

Last edited by 3tas4me; 11-07-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:02 AM
Suspended

So seawater is no no?

Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
So seawater is no no?
The smell of that 40 year old gas was very strong! There was about a gallon of that thick rusty, super strong smelling varnish/slurry. I hauled the tank to scrap inside a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the two big openings sealed-up and the smell still took a couple days to air out of the Jeep. The fuel lines are all clean as is the carburetor bowl and the fuel pump. Need to solder in the fill neck and new sending unit needs to be installed and tank bolted in. Hope to have it running in 10 days or so.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Senior Chief

"couple days to air out" why I have a carrier that mounts in the receiver for such. Under a Benjamin.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The owner of this SD has been working away on the car the last few days. He sent me some more pics he said I could post. Of course those of you that are familiar with the SD cars probably know all this stuff, but I am fascinated with some of the details he has shared. When these cars were new, I was working at a Pontiac dealer and although they were special, they were transportation. We were getting paid flat rate money to fix them and get them back on the road. Not much time to ponder all the specific, tiny changes that were SD specific. Here are some general pics of the car. Then some interesting specific parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	577775   Click image for larger version

Name:	right close.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	577776   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	577777  

Old 11-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next little group of pics are the picky stuff. Pic 1 is the valve springs. I guess they were variable rate valve springs and the purple coils are supposed to face down toward the head. He found 1 intake was installed upside down yesterday. The one pictured is correct Pic 2 The specific SD-455 TCS solenoid. I remember at the dealer taking these off and throwing them in the trash and bypassing them so the car would run much better. Some we put BB's in the hoses to keep them on the car but disable them and the EGR valves. You have to remember, customer satisfaction was the number 1 goal, and the cars ran much better without these early, crude systems functioning. Of course, emissions suffered. Pic 3 is the idle solenoid, also SD specific. Pic 5 Original tailpipes. You can tell by the little scallop on the top of the pipe. None of the aftermarket tips have this, not even the mega-buck Gardner stuff. Pic 4 spare tire inflater All these details from the owner. I didn't know any of this stuff. Sorry pic 4 and 5 got switched somehow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spring.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	577778   Click image for larger version

Name:	tcs solenoid.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	577779   Click image for larger version

Name:	idle solenoid.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	577780   Click image for larger version

Name:	inflator.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	577781   Click image for larger version

Name:	tailpipe tip.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	577782  

Old 11-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell him the EGR valve is specific also.

Car looks great.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-14-2021, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would check the NOS sender. I bought an extra one from the dealer for my 78 about 1981. Put the ohm meter to it a couple of years ago and it is bad out of the box.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The owner of this SD has been working away on the car the last few days. He sent me some more pics he said I could post. Of course those of you that are familiar with the SD cars probably know all this stuff, but I am fascinated with some of the details he has shared. When these cars were new, I was working at a Pontiac dealer and although they were special, they were transportation. We were getting paid flat rate money to fix them and get them back on the road. Not much time to ponder all the specific, tiny changes that were SD specific. Here are some general pics of the car. Then some interesting specific parts.
The first picture (interior shot) shows what I always thought was the most odd part of this SD. Anyone spot it?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”