THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All of our drive thru’s are slower- as is the service inside. I hate that they are closing all of the dining rooms- I guess they don’t have enough employees.

I agree it is very hard to eat healthy at a fast food place. The only benefit is that the caloric info is there.

I don’t think a Big Mac is too bad- I think it’s like 520 cal? The fries are the killer- literally no nutritional value to them.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

Here in the Metro Detroit area a lot of the fast food places can't get enough people to work. Some are working limited hours and days. The Tim Horton's near my daughters house is only open 6-2:30 most days because the owner is working by herself and only drive up because of her safety being by herself.. She can't get anyone to work. Every place around here has help wanted signs out. The car wash by my house is advertising $16 an hour. A lot of other places are showing $15 an hour.

Last edited by Stuart; 09-14-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I don’t think a Big Mac is too bad- I think it’s like 520 cal? The fries are the killer- literally no nutritional value to them.
It's not so much about calories, rather fat (saturated). Can feel my arteries clogging...

30g Total Fat (38%)
11g Saturated Fat (53%)

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400

Last edited by vertigto; 09-13-2021 at 09:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped going to all fast food when the Pandy started. Eased back slightly with an occasional trip to Chic filet. The one we have up to when they closed for remodeling had no indoor dining. When approaching the line would go around the building and then some. They had a great system and even at the lunch time rush I think the longest wait was about 10 minutes. I do stop at the closest Mcds on occasion for a breakfast sammich. Even when they look full it goes pretty quick. On the other hand there is one the next town over that is always bad and the food is bad. Havent been to that one in years. I just discovered Starbucks, with my wifes help. Ours is located in the grocery store we use. But At $6 or so I only hit that one about once a month.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At the local drive-ins, every time some youngster pulls out their dumb phone to pay, get prepared for a 5 minute wait. This may be the future, but it certainly is not the present. Often, the attendant finally gives up, and demands a credit/debit card. Then the line moves again.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
It's not so much about calories, rather fat (saturated). Can feel my arteries clogging...

30g Total Fat (38%)
11g Saturated Fat (53%)
The shocking thing about high fat meal like that, and add in typical large fries fat (24G) to that and you get almost your daily fat intake in one meal. If you add a salad with a bunch of ranch with that meal, you do get your daily amount or more. This does not even get into the good fat unsaturated vs saturated.

Saturated at room temp goes solid and think of your arteries lined with that.

Better diet combined with exercise (which builds your circulatory system) is a gift to long life. OK, soapbox put away, thanks if you read.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
The shocking thing about high fat meal like that, and add in typical large fries fat (24G) to that and you get almost your daily fat intake in one meal. If you add a salad with a bunch of ranch with that meal, you do get your daily amount or more. This does not even get into the good fat unsaturated vs saturated.

Better diet combined with exercise (which builds your circulatory system) is a gift to long life. OK, soapbox put away, thanks if you read.
Yep...you can't have a Big Mac without fries.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
At the local drive-ins, every time some youngster pulls out their dumb phone to pay, get prepared for a 5 minute wait. This may be the future, but it certainly is not the present. Often, the attendant finally gives up, and demands a credit/debit card. Then the line moves again.

Jon.
I can't believe even for a $2.00 item they use a card! When they use it at the parts store I work at it has a 50% of working after two or three attempts.

The drive up windows here are hit or miss. I gave up on McD, the only thing I liked were the fish sandwiches but not anymore. We have a Jack-in-the-box and an Arby's right across the street from each other and when I do go to each place which ever line is shorter is the one I pick. I've cut fast food down to a couple times a week.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-14-2021, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

I agree 100% though. Every once in a while I’ll forget my lunch from home, or won’t have time to make one. I’m forced to pick from the vast selection of garbage at work. It’s like a mini mart. About a 35’ long wall of food, but picking something that won’t make me feel like taking a nap or send my stomach into knots is a challenge. My safest bet is salted peanuts. They have a selection of synthetic sandwiches, but not much better. How about a bowl with some bananas, apples, and oranges? Nobody buys them I guess.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonred81 View Post
Is it just me or we seem to wait long period of time to get coffee or food at all the fast food restaurants.when i see 4 too 5 cars in line i know i will be there at least 15 min.i used to go get my coffee in the morning but not anymore .i get to work late.shortage of staff i guess.
From what I’m told many are understaffed; you can’t even enter most in my area. But, when you pay millions handsomely to sit on their ass this is what happens.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your right bird- the salads are one of the worst tricks. I saw a girl once try to order a grilled chicken sandwich and they were out so she got the next best thing…. A crispy chicken bacon ranch salad!

I go through a lot of food personally- but I’m 235, relatively lean and lift pretty heavy still. Cardio 3-4x a week. If you aren’t using the calories they add up quick.

I can lose 10 lbs just by getting off supplements for two weeks at this point.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:05 PM

The fact that some people just can't plain place an order is a factor too. "uhhhhh....I want.....uhhh....No change that.....lemme get" Not so much a problem for me anymore as the pandemic really got me off of fast food. Stuff that was stamped out in a factory and delivered via semi truck doesn't have the appeal anymore.