Old 09-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TKX reinstall alignment

I am putting in a hydraulic throw out bearing in my tkx 5 speed. Tranny was shifting fine, no issues, and since I am alone, it is hard for me to put this in by myself. When I went to remove the transmission, I installed four - 8” long bolts to act as guide rods. I just slide the transmission back along these bolts, enough so that the input shaft was out past the bellhousing. I was able to get the hydraulic throw out bearing snake up inside and installed. I then just slide the transmission back along these 8” long guide rods.

My issue now is I can’t seem to get the input shaft into the pilot bearing. The input shaft slide through the clutch disc no problem, but no matter what I do, a little up, down, sideways etc will not go. I tried everything. I did not line up the clutch disc with an alignment tool since I felt I just slide the transmission backwards along those guide rods.

My question is do you think that the clutch disc could have moved some? Could there been enough play in these guide rods? I check the rods for straightness before installing. I hate to pull this transmission out to check alignment. Any thoughts?

Old 09-11-2021, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get someone to push the clutch in as you push the trans in.It should reline up the disc.Tom

Old 09-11-2021, 02:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom- I can’t because hydraulic throw out bearing isn’t hooked up or bleed yet. Is it possible the disc moved? Even thought the pressure plate was tight? First time with a manual transmission so not as familiar with the install. It slides nice and easy right up to the last 1”.

Old 09-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the bearing collapsed, and have you verified the installed thickness dimension?

Old 09-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went brain dead on the bearing.Good luck.Tom

Old 09-11-2021, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even with the guide bolts... You'll have to lift up and shake while pushing forwards. When it hits the right spot it'll slam in place.

Clay

Old 09-11-2021, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes bearing is collapsed. Installed height verified. I laid on my back multiple times shaking and wiggling it up down. Still nothing. First time I installed it it slide right in. That’s what’s making me think the disc is not aligned. But with 4 guide bolts it “should” stay in alignment.

I can easily slide it back and forth by 1”, but that list inch it hits the pilot bearing.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Verify that your throw-out bearing is all the way back on the input shaft and collapsed.
IF the throw-out bearing is extended you will not be able to get the input shaft all the way into the bellhousing and into the pilot bearing/bushing.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, the throw out bearing is flat to the retainer cap. I can put my fingers in between the bearing and the pressure plate fingers.

Unless when I slide the transmission forward I partially burred the bronze pilot bushing , but I didn’t move it that hard forward, only by hand. Maybe the clutch disc moved, it I thought the clamping force of the pressure plate would hold it tight.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 PM

The same thing happened to me (with a TKO and pins) because I wasn't raising the back end high enough. What looks like level is too low.

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 09-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tree'd by Bob

The transmission is down just a little at the guide pins. It will be down more at the back.
Should be able to raise the tail shaft to get the pilot started then lift and shove the whole thing forward..

Clutches don't slide once their clamped
Clay

Old 09-11-2021, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

put trans in gear and turn output shaft splines may not be lined up

Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

MNbob, yes you are correct, the first install I did lift the tail shaft up more than I thought was level, and it slide right in. I slowly raised the tail shaft now until it just starts to lift the engine, still no go.

Clay- I was hoping to hear someone say that clutches don’t move when clamped. Plus The transmission didn’t hang on it with those guide pins.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Circle back on this one. After struggling I decided to drop the transmission and see what was up. Glad I did, apparently the pilot bushing popped out and was crooked. No way the transmission was ever going in. Not sure why it was cocked eyed but maybe when I pulled it out. I did have to hammer it in, but this time I used blue locktite.

Went back in very easy with the 4 guide bolts. All bolted up now. Thanks for the advice.