THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
77, are you signed up with eBay get get funds everyday or once a week? It might be you and maybe with the little amount you sell, you don't have a choice.
Mine has been set to daily payout.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-09-2021, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

eBay is the only place you can sell expensive parts like nOS, the guys on forums want rusty garbage bargain parts for their cars.
Like at the the Firebird show in Dayton, nOS just doesnt sell, but crumbly faded plastic interior parts fly off the tables. Lol.
eBay is the guy looking for that exact part. The junk on eBay sits there.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
As soon as they told me they had to have my bank account info to sell stuff I pulled my only ad and I’m done selling there. Didn’t they start PayPal? Their greed will end up hurting them but I don’t think they care.
Paypal was a different comany that eBay promptly bought.

I stopped selling years ago after seeing the fees get ridiculous, and sellers "rights" getting ignored all for a buyer protection scheme;
Then this past year I found out a couple Hotwheels I had were big ticket items, so I listed, and promptly sold them there - don't get me wrong, the listing fees, and paypal fees were alot , but the bill i was sent after the fact made it ridiculous to the tenth power.

I miss being able to see who's bidding against you - or being able to message other bidders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Ebay has done many interesting things over the years; ...

I didn't like the bank account issue, but had a talk with our bank manager. Have been with this bank for almost 60 years, and there are perks. One of which is a zero-balance account with no service charge. So we set up a special account so we could give the number to ebay, and funds are immediately transferred out of the account when something sells.

Wow - that is a fan-freaking-tastic idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagolin View Post
Done with them myself, Hadn't listed anything in a while, and sold a 500.00 slot car they tried to take 80.00 and hold my money for 4 weeks. Told them and the buyer I would ship when paid. buyer was cool about it Ebay said no shipping no payment. Cancelled the sale and got with the buyer and he Paypaled me 500.00, Happy ending and eBay suspended me for it lol
That sir, is pure

About the terrible search engine, I pretty much exclusively use picclick.com now.

I understand doing stuff to protect buyers, but they have seemed to basically done alot lately on the expense of their sellers - and their sellers are what get them the lions share fo their revenue, so I don't understand that.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
eBay is the only place you can sell expensive parts like nOS, the guys on forums want rusty garbage bargain parts for their cars.
Like at the the Firebird show in Dayton, nOS just doesnt sell, but crumbly faded plastic interior parts fly off the tables. Lol.
eBay is the guy looking for that exact part. The junk on eBay sits there.
Some exceptions, but overall, forum people tend to like wholesale $ buys. I have had better return on ebay, but I prefer to sell here. But if it is a $500 or more item, I would definitely ebay. I also have had to buy there at full retail, so it goes both ways. Like it or not, it is just a bigger market. Not all Pontiacers do PY.......

Old 09-10-2021, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I only buy on eBay, but what I did years ago was set up a separate bank account to use just for making online purchases. I only keep a small amount in it, and move more money into it from my main account when necessary. It would work just as well for selling.

I haven't ever had any problems, but it does provide a layer of protection in case something does happen. With electronic banking these days, it was simple to create the separate account and manage the money in it from my computer.

As for whether they include sales tax on a sale, eBay has no control over that - they have to follow the individual state laws about whether sales tax is required or not.
Stuart - I have done virtually the same. I have one account for Paypal purchases only. I don't accept Paypal. I have a second account for Ebay.

I don't keep funds in either account. I have been with our bank almost since Noah landed the Ark, and have some perks, one of which is no penalty on a zero-balance account.

I collect a number of various items:

There is a wonderful coin auction run by Heritage Auctions.

Stamps are sold on Stampauctionnetwork.

Trading cards on sold on Net54.

Maybe someday, someone with a good reputation in the car hobby will start an auction handling car parts to compete with Ebay.

We buy quite a bit on Ebay, mostly office supplies (paper, labels, shipping tape, boxes, etc.), but also hardware (brass fittings, screws, brass rods, steel rods, etc.).

I can buy fiberglass impregnated strapping tape on Ebay for about 25 percent of the local discount house price (I buy a case of 72 rolls); and about 10 percent of retail. 72 rolls will last maybe 3~4 months.

Ebay, like a match, is STILL a useful tool; just don't get burned. Instead of "I'm leaving these (*&^%$#@ people", take a look at how it can still be beneficial.

Try using the want ads on this forum. They are free (THANK YOU, HOST!).

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are over 50 - check with your bank about "silver accounts" or "senior accounts".
Banking with WoodForest and have no-fee / no minimum balance / free checking accounts.
Anyone over 50 is eligible for their "silver account".
They even give you 1 get out of jail free pass , per year. (waive overdraft fee)

Some banks might have a higher age requirement.

I use a separate email account, and checking account, just for PayPal.
Haven't sold anything on eBay in over 10 years, but still buy some stuff on eBay.
Their seller fees and increasing grey areas are too much for me.