Old 09-09-2021, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default sticky point when accelerating

i did a search of these forums & couldn't find a thread about this issue:

as i'm depressing the foot pedal, about an inch info it, there's a sticky point, something is hanging up...i can push thru it, its annoying though...

i thought maybe the pedal on the inside of the car as getting a little rusty so i applied some silicone...the "hitch" is still there...so it must be in the cable or the carb linkage...

carb was recently fixed to correct a "bog" when just starting out (no bog ay all if i mashed the pedal)....bog is gone & this just recently developed...

how do i go about tracking down where the hitch is?

71 400, orginal 4 bbl carb...

Old 09-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be the carb throttle plates hanging up in the bore.

If you loosen all four of the carb hold down bolts does the issue change?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-09-2021, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Throttle Cable is capable of a hsving a broken steel wire strand that digs into the sheath.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pedal bushings can make one sticky.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How does the throttle action feel from under the hood?

Try working the throttle - with the engine OFF - using the short length of cable that is exposed right where it attaches to the carburetor.

It's sometimes easier to do this with the throttle springs removed, but REMEMBER to reattach the springs before you close the hood.

You may find that the 'stiffness' is the return spring on the secondary throttle shaft offering more resistance when you push into the secondaries.

If it is a cable problem, you will be able to feel the binding in the cable. In that case, disconnect the cable at the carb attachment and check the carb alone for smooth operation.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Joe's Garage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Senior Chief

Any possible alignment issues where the cable may be pulling at the throttle shaft at an angle?

Perhaps pull the cable off the carb linkage and attached a return spring to the cable end and exersize it to see if the problem remains with the cable or foot pedal assembly.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 09-10-2021, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
It may be the carb throttle plates hanging up in the bore.

If you loosen all four of the carb hold down bolts does the issue change?
will have to check...i'll put that on the list of items to check...thx

Old 09-10-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Any possible alignment issues where the cable may be pulling at the throttle shaft at an angle?

Perhaps pull the cable off the carb linkage and attached a return spring to the cable end and exersize it to see if the problem remains with the cable or foot pedal assembly.
not that's noticeable...thx for the tip, will add that to my list of ways to narrow in on the problem

Old 09-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Pedal bushings can make one sticky.
that was my first thought which is why i figured the first easy step would be to spray some silicone under the pedal...didn't resolve the issue :-(

Old 09-10-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Try working the throttle - with the engine OFF - using the short length of cable that is exposed right where it attaches to the carburetor.
yep, tried that several times and still couldn't identify where the "hitch" was...carb, pedal or cable...

It's sometimes easier to do this with the throttle springs removed, but REMEMBER to reattach the springs before you close the hood.

You may find that the 'stiffness' is the return spring on the secondary throttle shaft offering more resistance when you push into the secondaries.

If it is a cable problem, you will be able to feel the binding in the cable. In that case, disconnect the cable at the carb attachment and check the carb alone for smooth operation.
i'll try this... i was playing with the actual linkage when i was trying at the cable connection to the card, NOT specifically holding the cable...thx

Good luck!
see above

Old 09-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spraying them won't do any good if they're cracked or broken. They're plastic and can crack. If you eliminate everything carb and cable, pull the pedal assembly and take them out and have a look.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could be the secondary lockout if its doing it while still cold and the choke isn't fully open yet. That will make the throttle harder to push when trying to get into the secondary throttle blades.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post

Good luck!
this is common on q-jets. all my cars with late 70's q-jets do this, i can feel it in the pedal when the secondaries just start to open. no cable or pedal bushing binding, it just takes a little more force to open the secondaries.

not saying that is your issue, its a good idea to check all the things mentioned above, but if there is no binding in the cable or pedal bushing issues, it could just be the resistance of the secondaries youre feeling.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Another good possibility.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
Could be the secondary lockout if its doing it while still cold and the choke isn't fully open yet. That will make the throttle harder to push when trying to get into the secondary throttle blades.
To test for this being the problem, hold the choke blade fully OPEN and check the throttle action under the hood.

The lockout is on the passenger's side and is not difficult to disable. The secondary throttle blade lockout, AND the secondary flapper lockouts on the earlier carbs are removed or disabled as standard procedure whenever we work on a quadrajetjet.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwX06-3LV8

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2021, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I recently had a similar thing happen, but it was hanging on throttle close. Verified at the TBI, no issue, but at the pedal there was a bind. Turned out to be the factory cable was fraying inside it's sheath near the peddle assembly.

If it's the original cable, it would be worth removing and inspecting the movement of the cable within the sheathing to verify that's not the cause.

I replaced with a Lokar cut to fit cable which is very nice.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had this happen..I finally looked into on my 70 to find out throttle cable was hanging up inside. Found a nos one on ebay...all fixed. Could also be gasket hanging up on throttle blade/ rod like mentioned.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Very easy way to check throttle cable and pedal linkage vs blame the carb is to remove the carb return spring and the throttle cable from the carb.

Now take the throttle return spring and attach it to the carb throttle cable.

Then take a piece of coat hanger and bend it so that it attaches to the alternator adjustment strap. See the picture attached. There is usually a nice convenient opening in the strap on the end if you have the correct belt on the alternator. (The coat hanger will be above the carb linkage.

Attach the coat hanger to the carb throttle cable. using the factory spring in between the two (hanger and cable).

Go inside the car and work the throttle pedal. If you still have a bind or rough pedal operation the issue is with the pedal linkage or the cable. NOT THE CARB.

Have fun

Carbs get blamed for a lot of issues. 99% of the time it is "The Throttle blades are hanging in the bores". Very easy to check the other systems with a simple coat hanger and a few minutes time.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972-pontiac-trans-am-engine.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	572820  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:06 PM

had the same issue on my 69 goat 4 speed, very annoying especially with a clutch. the pedal would move easily for say an inch then hang and when i pushed through it the engine would rev.
replaced the cable, i think around $25 and smooth as butter. install took maybe 15 min
amazing difference in the enjoyment of driving the car

Old 09-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Spraying them won't do any good if they're cracked or broken. They're plastic and can crack. If you eliminate everything carb and cable, pull the pedal assembly and take them out and have a look.
thx, will do

Old 09-13-2021, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
happens all the time, any temp...same spot in pedal push....maybe an inch into the push of the pedal