THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-08-2021, 04:30 PM

Default Oh hell no. The hell hole who go’s through this?? Can I say that ??

So I decided to change my hood brackets and springs while waiting for parts. Passenger side no problem but while trying to install the drivers side the spring pops off. So I’m looking for it in the engine compartment and look on the ground and where is it?? It’s not here what the hell is going on?? So you know where the rear inner fender well meets the firewall on a 68 firebird ? That hole down there?? Exactly my luck. Smh. I have several magnets on a stick, springy thing, telescopic just like everyone else but the magnets are to weak to pull it up. I was able to stand the spring up and put my fingers on part of the spring but guess what happens next?? The other side of the spring has wedged and hooked itself in the drain hole at the bottom of the fender. Sob. I’m telling myself who go’s through this?? That reminds me to remove the rags stuffed in there. Well thought I’d share this because I thought this would be a simple 1 hour or so job but ended being several hours especially figuring out the hood alignment

. Getting old is making life difficult with my toys.

The Following User Says Thank You to jrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that has never happened to me or anybody I know. Try to hook it with a solid copper wire.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the same kind of crap happen. Was messing with the motor mount bolts, engine in car. Had a socket with extension, socket in the crossmember. While pulling the extension and socket out, the socket hooks itself on an edge and socket drops into the internals of the crossmember. A large socket.

Spent several hours with a inspection camera with a magnet taped to the end to find the darn thing and pull it out.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, i admit just last week i was "installing the oil pump drive shaft theough the Dizzy hole.
and missed, a few times.

Had to cobble a NIB magnet onto my Snap-On pole magnet. How did install pump driveshafts so easily before?

Old 09-08-2021, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

You need some forceps...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-08-2021, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cuss words never really lived up to their potential until after Cars were invented.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to know the physics behind dropping an item 3 feet and watching it zoom 15 feet across the floor. Seems like it could be the holy grail of perpetual motion.

In my shop I could drop a sandwich bag full of sand and it would bounce 10 feet away.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was helping a buddy with his 70 Camaro and dropped a socket inside the cowl, it went to never land. Never to be seen again. Hopefully it did not rattle.
We Have ceramic tile in our shop at work, yes an Automotive shop, and if you drop something it can bounce and be gone. LOL. Not the best flooring in a shop.
Made to look nice.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've lost more tek screws than I can count while mounting wire looms and stuff on the firewall. Screw falls, I look under the car, no screw, rinse and repeat. 3 years later I am still finding them one at a time dropped randomly on the garage floor under the car. God knows where they were while in limbo.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything I do is this way. The itty bitty clips that snap onto the end of accelerator pump and choke actuation, and other, rods on carburetors are referred to as "jesus clips" in the carb restoration/rebuild trade because they are apt to pop off when installing them and go flying who knows where; "Oh jesus here we go gain". I swear I've had enough of them fly off over the years that the floor of my carb shop should be covered with them 3' deep.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of my box wrenches are nook and cranny finds. And weren't mine.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My luck x10. Everything magically falls and scampers right to the very center underneath the car. Or under the tool box... Turned so many 10 minute jobs into hours I cannot even count or remember. Misery loves company though! Welcome to the club! How many times have you shook your head and wondered, "Why is this my hobby?". We're adrenaline junkies!!! It was a test drive in a '64 GTO, with my dad, that sealed my fate.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always felt that the gremlins yanked the bolt-wrench-socket out my hands then ran with it to who knows where. I've been looking for my old reliable spark plug ratchet for 4 mos. I put it somewhere or the gremlins took it. It cant be me!

Old 09-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wear a size 9 1/2 shoe. I think that's considered very average. Every time I drop something in front of me or something rolls off the workbench, it bounces off my shoe and take off in a random direction. What's the chance of that happening? 100% for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2021, 07:30 PM

My experience...if you drop something, 99.9% of the time it will go under your tool box, workbench, or something, etc. If you are quick enough to see that remaining 0.1% thing as it hits the floor, IT IS HEADING UNDERNEATH SOMETHING! Guarantied! lol

Old 09-10-2021, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I'd like to start carrying my phone with me to take photos of all the bizarre things that happen. Like when you coiling a lead cord and it get's trapped in some way that you couldn't replicate if someone offered you a million dollars and a million attempts.

But then I'd drop the phone, it would fly 10 feet off the left, fly through the 1/2" louvers in the shop fan and be smashed to pieces.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been wrestling the last couple days with trying to install the airbox and air filter assembly on my motorcycle. I've decided a person needs long skinny fingers like E.T. to do it correctly - there are screws and nuts and hose connections and things that are hidden between the carburetors, engine and frame that I can barely see, much less reach. Every time I get to close to being installed correctly there's some part that doesn't line up and I have to start over.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Telescopic magnet is a good thing to keep handy. Lets just say I can span an octave and a note with either hand but have to shop for ladies watchbands.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart ... your motorcycle has carbs?

"padgett spider hands" has a good ring to it.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Stuart ... your motorcycle has carbs?
It's a 2001 Kawasaki W650, and I wish it was fuel injected...the carburetors on this thing clog up at the mere sniff of regular E10 gas.