Old 08-22-2021, 05:29 PM

Default year one 17" honey comb rim center caps

year one 17" honey comb rim center caps - I cant seem to install the pontiac center caps on the year one rims. Mainly the front rims, yes I'm installing the center cap before the rim is installed. I contacted YEAR ONE, which was pretty much like pissing in the wind as they offered no help. Even after I mentioned the cap scratched my brand new rim when it fell off while driving the car and that I had bought 4 sets of their rims in the last year. The ears on the caps do not lock into the rim, maybe 2 out of 3 will but I just stalled the 5th one now and it was the best fitting one I installed when I put the rim on the rotor catches the cap and breaks the clips. very poor design.

Last edited by gtopercy; 08-22-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have their plastic caps on my 17’s and the chrome is peeling on all of them

Old 08-24-2021, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Taiwan sends its regards

Old 08-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the exact same issue with mine. I don't think it is an issue with the production but the design specification as the lip that holds the wheel cap on appears to be dimensionally incorrect and apparently, consistently incorrect as I have heard of others having the issue and I think it is curious, YO no longer sells this as a "kit" including the center caps with the wheels. Two things:

First, make sure your bearing caps are not contacting the wheel cap. I had to metal work mine down until they were flat on the top to clear but that may be due to my mismatch of brake parts.

Second, sorry to say this but I messed with mine for quite awhile before I just cut off all of the tabs and used grey RTV to attach the wheel caps. Odd thing is I feel way better about the RTV'd front caps staying on than the rears which are still held by the tabs. I will do the same to the rears next time I have the rear wheels off. Only downside is if the tire needs to be replaced or rebalanced, you are going to have to do the RTV thing again but I do not anticipate that happening for years so it isn't an issue for me.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just purchased and installed a set of 4 last week. Snapped right in with a bit of assistance from the back side and of course a few “taps” to flatten out the front bearing caps.
Not going to say they are the heartiest clips I have ever seen, but holding firm.
Sorry about your dilemma. I wish I had some secret to pass along.
My 17s are the very first production run back several years. Maybe they have changed how they make them?

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 08-28-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Off subject but what tire sizes are you guys running on your cars with these wheels? I am running 275/40-17's front and 285/40-17 rear Continentals with 3/8" spacers on the rear. I have LS1 rear discs and C4 J55 fronts so my front and rear tracks may be different than stock.

Ground to fender in front is 26" and I am working today on lowering my rear but I am targeting a bit over 27" in the rear.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.