Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-20-2021, 11:07 AM
Pontiac Performance Author

Pumps look the same? They are! mfg by a company called Pierce. Pierce makes private label pumps for just about everybody.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah well try telling that to some of the people around here and watch what happens

That's why I posted pics of all the pumps and their boxes showing how the name on the box didn't matter, they were all the same pump anyway. But that usually goes in one ear and out the other.

I came to the conclusion years ago the difference in how they perform or how long they might last was purely based on quality control, not the name on the box. Some pumps had more pressure than others, some just didn't work long enough to get out of the driveway, and some worked fine and lasted years.

Luck of the draw.

Shucks the tri-5 pumps are spendy little suckers at $70, just a stock pump. On the 56 it would only hold a maximum of 4 lbs. of fuel pressure. I didn't dare romp on the thing, I could watch the gauge drop just blipping the throttle. I only drove it around the neighborhood a few times, maybe 10 miles total, it was on the car for 2 years and it's now a dead pump. So much for quality.
I'm either going to modify the frame for the RobbMC pump or I'm installing a new Tank Inc setup with the pump in the tank.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Holley 80gph pump I bought in the mid 80s.
Still going.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I have a Holley 80gph pump I bought in the mid 80s.
Still going.
Had one of those on the nomad in the mid 80's too. Daily drove it for a few years and it was a good pump. Unfortunately it went bad from sitting 30 years when it was parked around 89-ish and I tried to revive the car a couple years ago. To be expected.
Tried to rebuild it as it was the type that the body came apart and could be rotated. For some odd reason a new kit from holley never got that pump working again.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Wagon stuff is coming. Tanks Inc has already developed an in tank pump kit for the Nomads (which is one of the more odd wagon tanks), and I've been seriously considering that route on the 56.
For cars with the floor mounted tanks, yes. The mid 1960s-mid 1970s cars with the quarter panel mounted tanks I doubt will ever get made.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Problem is us wagon folks don't have this option. .

Here is the Baddest "Non In-Tank" PRODUCTION Electric Pump on the Market.
The Bosch 044 Pump. That pump can be mounted in a factory Bosch "Frame Bracket", It moves a lot of fuel thru carburetored fuel systems, and is extremely dependable.

There are Chinese Knock-off pumps of this pump that are in the $45 to $70 price range but the real deal pumps are more like $180 to $200. One Bosch pump will feed any NA Pontiac engine, (installed in a wagon Chassis). It will support 700+ HP.

https://stmtuned.com/products/bosch-...line-fuel-pump
E-85 and Gas compatible.

The big advantage is it has the flow/pressure capability to do both Carbed, EFI, and Boosted Carb/EFI engines with its high pressure capability.

Many many racers over the years used this pump prior to the in-tank systems out there today. It WAS a production pump on several European production vehicles. Get the real deal pump, not the Chinese knock-off though.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel pump shootout.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	571694  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
For cars with the floor mounted tanks, yes. The mid 1960s-mid 1970s cars with the quarter panel mounted tanks I doubt will ever get made.
If desperate, ever thought of having one made?

I've gone that route too with custom LS swaps, when a tank isn't available I had a custom tank made. Nice thing about that is you can have it any way you want and add gallons to it at the same time if there is room to do so. Not really all that expensive either.

When I did an LS swap in our 72 Blazer I did a custom 40 gallon tank, baffled for an EFI pump. It was sweet, darn thing had over a 500 mile range on one fill up, it was fantastic for road trips.

The other solution is the stealth EFI sumps from Aeromotive that can be made to fit an existing stock tank.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Here is the Baddest "Non In-Tank" PRODUCTION Electric Pump on the Market.
The Bosch 044 Pump. That pump can be mounted in a factory Bosch "Frame Bracket", It moves a lot of fuel thru carburetored fuel systems, and is extremely dependable.

There are Chinese Knock-off pumps of this pump that are in the $45 to $70 price range but the real deal pumps are more like $180 to $200. One Bosch pump will feed any NA Pontiac engine, (installed in a wagon Chassis). It will support 700+ HP.

https://stmtuned.com/products/bosch-...line-fuel-pump
E-85 and Gas compatible.

The big advantage is it has the flow/pressure capability to do both Carbed, EFI, and Boosted Carb/EFI engines with its high pressure capability.

Many many racers over the years used this pump prior to the in-tank systems out there today. It WAS a production pump on several European production vehicles. Get the real deal pump, not the Chinese knock-off though.

Tom V.
There are actually newer in-line external pumps than the 044 that have more output

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk