Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-17-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Canton 15-452 Oil Pan Dipstick

The manufacturer says it takes 6 quarts. I am running dual remote oil filters and have to setup the universal dipstick. Would you fill the pan up with 6 quarts and make your mark right there or would you add in the oil it takes to fill the filters and then circulate the oil system with a drill up to pressure then make your mark. I know this sounds like one of my past stupid questions but the reason I ask is because I watched the episode of Engine Masters where they subtracted oil to the point of diminishing return. If I mark it at the pans 6 quart mark and then maybe add a quart for the two filters is that a good idea? Not looking for a fight just wondering what you guys would do?

Old 08-18-2021, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A stock engine has some bleed down back into the pan when you take a reading, and I would apply this thinking to your new setup. I would fire the engine, and allow the two filters to fill and circulate the oil. Then shut off and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and the observed level would be my future full level.

My drag engine was much happier with another quart in the system and the additional oil solved a slight pressure drop at the top end of the pulls. Just happened to also be down at Westech on their dyno which is where the Engine Master guys made their observations on their engine. You can't take observations gained from one engine and apply it across the board.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to understand stand something that I can tell from your other post about oil filters that you may not.
That being near all duel remote filter brackets do not take a Pontiac filter any longer, they are made for a Ford type filter unless stateded in specific other wise!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-18-2021, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This one takes a pontiac filter. I sought it out specifically

Old 08-18-2021, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
This one takes a pontiac filter. I sought it out specifically
Aplogies for interrupting the flow of things here. May I ask which dual oil filter set up you're using? I'm looking for one as well.

I thank you.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 08-18-2021, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My old remote dual filter certainly had the 1-way flow!! Had to swap in & out to get PSI.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Note here it indicates a 6 qt System Capacity:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...-race-pan.html

When I called Canton and asked about their statement "6 qt System Capacity" I was told by them it is meant that it was 5 quarts for the pan itself and they allowed 1 quart for a oil filter. A total of 6 quarts.
That said, some have suggested measuring the pan itself it could be slightly different.

Calculating the amount of oil inside the lines to and from the remote filter and inside the filter itself is always a good idea. I use a remote mounted popular WIX filter and found it actually holds about 3/4 quart of oil.
Keep filling it until it's saturated, tap it a few times, fill it again, do so until will take no more oil.

My remote filter lines have about 1/4 quart inside them.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 08-18-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Aplogies for interrupting the flow of things here. May I ask which dual oil filter set up you're using? I'm looking for one as well.

I thank you.
The adapter part number is Derale 1149. That screws directly to the block adapter. The dual filter mount I just dug around on the internet and found one that I could confirm took GM threads. I am sorry I can’t find the number as it’s out of the box