Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Air flow

Some may find this useful:

Playing around at the track recently, I’ve discovered a HUGE difference in Performance using different air cleaner bases.

Using the same 3” air filter, I have found my engine will ONLY perform adequately with the stock base dual snorkel and a filter top that just covers the filter, NOT the entire base like a stock lid.

Tried a whole pile of combos and nothing bested this combo.

The worst base( Alluminum with a sharper roll into the carb) reduced et by .3 and 4mph!!

Drop bases produced the same poor results.

Seems my qjet is VERY Sensitive to the base and will not tolerate anything but a stock shape??

Question:
Have any of you found a base and lid that will work better than stock ?

...wondering what I’m leaving on the table by not being able to use a 4” filter with a stock base?

This is all based on a qjet carbed engine.

On a good note I was able to get my first 6.981 1/8 mile et and a best 60’ of 1.52 on a different pass...not terrible for this old pig

Thanks for any insight

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mchell For This Useful Post: