Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Suspended

Default Webster Industries Stud Girdles

Anyone running this brand of stud girdle or ever heard of them before?
http://webster-industries.com/index.html
I haven’t seen anything about them from the Pontiac community and I was wondering if anyone uses them. I’ve had a pair for a while and they are extremely well finished.

Another question; do you guys know if the various aftermarket harmonic balancers available for Pontiac are press fit or are they slip fit like the factory ones?? Webster Industries also makes a hydraulic balancer puller, kind of an expensive system but might be worth it if you have to R&R tight press-fit balancers often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	girdle1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	67178   Click image for larger version

Name:	girdle2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	67179   Click image for larger version

Name:	girdle3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	67180  

Old 10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

Well, there's not a whole lot of rocket science to a stud girdle, but I would think if you are going to produce and sell a performance item, you should know what you're building it for.

Designed to fit 1955-1981 Pontiac 389-400C.I.
Small Block heads. Includes Adjustment Nuts

Last edited by Chris Roach; 10-05-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not to hijack this thread, but those are some NICE looking intake ports!

Question: Did you grind thru and patch the port roofs with something? I see some yellowish patches on the roof, both sides. I would be currious to know how well those flow at what lift too

Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Yes Chris you are right - they should list the application more correctly.

Goatrider – Thanks for the comments on the ports. All of the intake roofs were ground through and then brazed and epoxy on what the braze didn’t cover. They are 48 castings with 64cc chambers that have been opened to 69cc. I filled the exhaust crossovers with aluminum using the furnace at my old High School’s metal shop, which is where we also did the brazing work on the intake roofs. The brazing was kind of scary as I wasn’t real comfortable subjecting the heads to all that heat (we slowly heated the heads before brazing and then cooled them slowly) If I ever had to patch holes like that again I would cover it all with epoxy to avoid the potential damage from heat stress. I have never had them on a flow-bench. I did measure the port volume and they checked out at 175cc. It seems that everyone knows the flow specs on their heads these days and I guess it’s an interesting number to know. I too would like to know just for curiosity sake what the flow bench numbers would be on these d-ports that were ported over 20 years ago.

Last edited by 10secbird; 10-08-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10secbird,
How was the alignment of the studs/locks with the holes in the bar? Did you have to tweak the studs to align with holes in bar? I have a set of Butler's and they do not line up with my 48s. They are off on some but not others and they are the correct part number for the D ports.
Jim

Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Suspended

Jim - I don't recall any issues like that. How do yours line up when the rockers are off and no spring pressure is against the studs ? ?