THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
In my opinion, no one should keep the same insurance company for that long without shopping around. My wife and I recently reduced our car and home insurance costs drastically when we saw how much it had risen over the last 25 years. It just creeps up. We went from Geico to Farm Bureau for home and auto. Same coverage for one third the cost!
I agree wholeheartedly with this, I had Liberty Mutual for 50 years on my cars, and home. About 3 years ago I bought a older 1995 3500 HD truck, but they wouldn't insure it because the GVW was higher than a conventional 3500, which I also owned, and they insured it for over 10 years. I said what am I supposed to do about insuring it? They said their suggestion was I shop another insurance carrier for the truck. Well I took their suggestion, and talked to a independant insurance agent, he had no qualms about insuring the 3500 HD for me. He also suggested he could look over all my insurance, home, and auto, to see if he could save me some money. He was tons lower on car, and home owners, so Liberty Mutual was the one that suggested I shop elsewhere, and I was glad I took their suggestion........

Because my new home is in an agricultural area, and still has a barn, and a corn crib on site, he was able to insure me on a farm/agricultural type policy. Told me it would be simple, and cheap, to add on extra vehicles because insurance companies that provide this type of insurance know that you can only drive one at a time, so the annual addition for the 3500HD was just over $100 a year for liability on it. It's a much better way to insure all the extra vehicles I own on the agricultural type policy. I told him we don't farm anything, he told me it wasn't a problem, no need to prove you're running a farm. Thanks Liberty Mutual !!!!, you saved me thousands of dollars............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2024, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Insurance companies just SUCK period and USAA are for sure at the TOP of the list of insurance companies who suck the most.....IMHO.

About 20 years ago I fought my battle with USAA and lost. Not sure if any of the others are much better but they really put the screws to me after we were involved with two claims that were NOT our fault. They failed me miserably then dropped me after they were over. I'll spare the audience here from the boring details, just trust me when I say that USAA are bottom of the barrel when it comes to standing up for their customers.

Luckily I haven't had any claims with or new company in quite a few years, so really don't know if they make the grade either.

My brother however has had two major vehicle accidents, neither one was his fault. In both cases he had to hire an attorney and go after the insurance companies used by the drivers who caused the accidents. Remarkably he won both of those cases and got really nice settlements out of them. The last one netted him $30,000 after attorney fees, medical bills and damages to his vehicle. He did however step-up and hire the very best representation money can buy, who know the ropes and aren't afraid to go after the big insurance companies who are not stepping up and paying folks insured by their clients like they should.

From what I've seen over the years and it happened with my brothers claims is that the big insurance companies just say NO. I'm not giving you jack crap chit for your vehicle, your injuries, time lost from work, or any pain, suffering or emotional problems you incurred as a result of the accident. In both cases my brother had to get his company to pay for medical bills, rental vehicles, etc, then go after the company that represented the people that caused the accidents.

The two companies here were State Farm and Nationwide. So Nationwide proudly lived up to it's motto that we are "on your side", and don't give a chit about the folks you plow your car into and how much damage is done to them and how much their lives are disrupted due to your negligence.......FWIW.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with you, Cliff. For the most part, they are all pond scum. You just have to have the mind set that the insurance companies are in business for a single reason. To make as much money as possible for their owners/stockholders. Property damage involving cars is super low importance to them. Great bodily injury that may involve death where their client is charged may get some minor attention. Shiny stolen cars don't even make it on the radar screen for most of these giant companies. Not saying that's right, but your unfortunately seeing where they stand on your loss. Again, decades of paying premiums for home, life and cars and business to the same company without a single claim, means absolutely nothing to them. In my case, after 30 years I finally had a claim for a roof damaged in a large straight line wind storm. Coverage denied! They said the 12 year old roof was "improperly installed" and I was welcome to sue them. That's great service. 19 homes in my neighborhood were effected. Only one denied was mine. That was Motorists Mutual out of Columbus OH. I cancelled all my policies and went to a different carrier saving thousands.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Pond Scum"....I like that one and adding it to my list:

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-21-2024, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry for the late reply- busy Saturday!

We finally, finally came to an agreement. The came up a few thousand and I did some more research and found that I could get one like mine for 79/80k and they came in at 78,500. I still hate that I had to drag it out an extra month- probably 5-6 weeks by the time I get the money. You have to assume that every customer of theirs gets this treatment and they get away with it.

Now this is interesting….. on the 5th (5th!) valuation report they had two cars and one did not have a vin#. I asked how I was supposed to look the car up and make sure it is comparable and he said ‘oh that car doesn’t exist’. So my car is being compared to an undervalued car that was estimated a month before my car was stolen and one that doesn’t exist????

Turns out if they can not find a comparable car they call a dealer they work with to ‘quote’ my vehicle as if they were selling it. Another way to put that is that they call a consultant that works for them and has their interests in mind to establish the value of my vehicle without seeing it, driving it, etc.. Then, they don’t make you aware of this situation- they just hope you don’t notice. I can’t see how this is legal?

It got to the point where they wanted photos of the engine, proof the glass wasn’t scratched, inspection reports showing it wasn’t low on fluids- it was an insult.

I got within 1000 of what I felt was fair and really just didn’t have anymore time or energy to invest in it.

I will be shopping all of my banking and insurance business now- as we have all discussed our loyalty doesn’t mean anything

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know how many on this thread have ever heard of a fellow named Clark Howard... Consumer expert, syndicated radio host, etc. for many years. He says you should review, compare and shop insurance companies every 6 months. They sneak prices up over time.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interestingly, my rates dropped a bit on my latest insurance bill. I had a claim this last year for hail damage, too.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

6 months seems frequent but probably makes sense. Just like credit cards- even in today’s economy you can get 0% on balance transfers

Old 01-22-2024, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I don't know how many on this thread have ever heard of a fellow named Clark Howard... Consumer expert, syndicated radio host, etc. for many years. He says you should review, compare and shop insurance companies every 6 months. They sneak prices up over time.
Clark is misguided.

My policies are annual policies for auto, home and umbrella - so every six months is overkill. Many companies are doing annual policies for car insurance now because of the home/auto discounts available.

I shop my policies every 2 years or so, unless I get a big increase on the first renewal.

It takes time and effort to shop policies. You can't just look at price and assume that the coverage is apples to apples - you have to make sure that the coverage is as good or better than what you have.

And then you need to research the company (assuming the best price is from a company you aren't familiar with).

And then you need to decide if the agent (assuming it is someone different from your current agent) is someone you want to do business with.

Old 01-22-2024, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, he's just the kind of guy that would do it every 6mths. but I agree that every two or three years would be sensible. What he's trying to say is, don't just choose one and get comfortable for 20 years like we did.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Sorry for the late reply- busy Saturday!

We finally, finally came to an agreement. The came up a few thousand and I did some more research and found that I could get one like mine for 79/80k and they came in at 78,500. I still hate that I had to drag it out an extra month- probably 5-6 weeks by the time I get the money. You have to assume that every customer of theirs gets this treatment and they get away with it.

Now this is interesting….. on the 5th (5th!) valuation report they had two cars and one did not have a vin#. I asked how I was supposed to look the car up and make sure it is comparable and he said ‘oh that car doesn’t exist’. So my car is being compared to an undervalued car that was estimated a month before my car was stolen and one that doesn’t exist????

Turns out if they can not find a comparable car they call a dealer they work with to ‘quote’ my vehicle as if they were selling it. Another way to put that is that they call a consultant that works for them and has their interests in mind to establish the value of my vehicle without seeing it, driving it, etc.. Then, they don’t make you aware of this situation- they just hope you don’t notice. I can’t see how this is legal?

It got to the point where they wanted photos of the engine, proof the glass wasn’t scratched, inspection reports showing it wasn’t low on fluids- it was an insult.

I got within 1000 of what I felt was fair and really just didn’t have anymore time or energy to invest in it.

I will be shopping all of my banking and insurance business now- as we have all discussed our loyalty doesn’t mean anything
Insurance companies call us from time to time when they need a value on an "oddball" vehicle. We are not a paid "consultant" nor do we get a kickback of any kind from them.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-22-2024, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Insurance is kind of a scam. But you still need it . Especially liability insurance. But overall it's a rip off.

I've had 3 auto accidents in my life. None of them were my fault. The last one was in 1989, 34 years ago. I've seen on TV ads that companies give discounts if you haven't crashed in 6 months. 6 months?? What should you get if you haven't crashed in 34 years?

I guess I'm paying for all the people who crash every 6 months.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 01-22-2024, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

71GP- that’s good to hear. It screams conflict of interest if there is any gain for the insurance company that is going to pay out based on that valuation.

I am surprised they didn’t have to note that somehow in the report. It’s possible that it was noted and I am just not familiar with the terminology. But then I would assume other customers aren’t either.

Glad it’s behind me… time to start car shopping. Problem is there isn’t anything that really compares to what we had in that price range. Everything I drive feels terribly slow!

Any suggestions? Would like to stay around or under 55k, could possibly pay more if the car was just amazing. Looking at lower mile used cars

Considering:

Lexus IS F sport
Lexus RC -F sport
Lexus LC (looks cool, but would have to blow me ….away to get me to spend that much again)
Supra
Jaguar Type F (must have extended warranty)
Possibly 2014 mustang

No Dodge
No Kia
No GM

Options can get very limited when you start ruling out major car companies.

Any suggestions on something not boring and somewhat fun to drive?

Old 01-23-2024, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Insurance is kind of a scam. But you still need it . Especially liability insurance. But overall it's a rip off.

I've had 3 auto accidents in my life. None of them were my fault. The last one was in 1989, 34 years ago. I've seen on TV ads that companies give discounts if you haven't crashed in 6 months. 6 months?? What should you get if you haven't crashed in 34 years?

I guess I'm paying for all the people who crash every 6 months.
Yep. and the kids who stole the OP's Charger

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This just keeps getting worse- the car was recovered at a chop shop days after we settled and the documents were signed. Now they are holding payment until the car is recovered and they can assess the damage.

I’m not going to take the car back- it’s been doing god knows what for two months, will now have a branded title, and will lose considerable value.

I told USAA that it was their car now and they can do what they want with it. They kept repeating that they need to get the car back to assess the damage- they wouldn’t say anything more.

Now I can’t get anyone to call me back, have left messages with anyone I have extensions for and have messaged them on their app.

No response.

This is a nightmare and will probably end up in court.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't wait. Get a good lawyer now.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Don't wait. Get a good lawyer now.
Good idea. Sometimes just ccing an esquire on correspondence with a company can get things moving.

I know you indicated no GM for your replacement car, but I love my '18 ZL1. It's ton's of fun, comfortable for me even on long drives, and has been completely trouble free. The interior is somewhat tight, as is the trunk opening, but the visibility issue that folks complain about is overblown IMO.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find a lawyer to handle this?

The ZL1 might be an option- my wife is driving my daughters 2018 4 cylinder Camaro she got for Christmas and said it drives great. Visibility is a problem though because she is short.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://abc13.com/stampede-diesel-cr...shop/14351368/

Our car would be the blue one they show at this link. Received confirmation today that the car is not repairable- which means the motor is gone or the vin was tampered with.

Hopefully the process the payment and I can move on with my life.

The Scat Pack that was stolen on here was only gone for a day or two- mine has been gone for 7 weeks. I definitely did not want that car back.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the best possible outcome in such a tricky situation.

This is not meaningful at this point - but was there ever any mention made of using a rental car while your car was missing ?
I'm just curious if that should be an option that insurance should cover in a case like this.

Sure they wouldn't want to - but maybe it is their liability when they play hopscotch with a claim.
And could produce faster results

just curious