THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac lives again

Pontiac lives again -- in G8 sedan recall

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...sedan-recall/1

Quote:
Pontiac may be gone, but the General Motors division isn't forgotten -- at least when it come to recalls.GM is recalling 38,400 Pontiac G8 sedan models, all of which were imported from GM's Holden division in Australia, to reprogram the front-passenger air-bag module, the Associated Press says.
No word on whether the recall will include the new Chevrolet Caprice police cars that GM is importing. They are rebadged G8s, but they aren't sold direct to the public.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Saturday that the air-bag modules for the 2008 and 2009 models might not comply with federal standards for head injury protection.
No complaints, crashes or injuries have been reported related to the issue, GM said.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder how many of the new Caprice police cars have been procured by non-policeman owners. Other than the Camaro and Corvette, it's the only GM rear wheel drive V8 sedan. I'd like to drive one--and have the option to buy one.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Pontiac is still haunting them - Karma .

Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I wonder how many of the new Caprice police cars have been procured by non-policeman owners. Other than the Camaro and Corvette, it's the only GM rear wheel drive V8 sedan. I'd like to drive one--and have the option to buy one.
Watch state and local auctions. They usually auction them out at 65-70K, and they go cheap. They usually have all the comfort items that a normally-acquired one would, although some have a fiberglass back seat. Most municipalities have their own mechanics and maintain them well, too.

I used to buy Dodge Diplomats at auctions when that was the cop car of choice. Got my first one, an '87 for $200, last of three (a pastel car, not white) for $700. Put about 80K on the first one and sold it for $800.

Everything on them is heavy-duty, too. Cars had a battery the size of a suitcase and an alternator that looked suitable for arc welding. H-rated tires, as well.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, I agree that the Dodges used for cop cars were heave duty, except for one exception. The intake on the 318s. Seeing they sat idling for long periods of time, they'd over heat. And for some strange reason the intake would crack under the carb. Back in the late 80s I changed out many intakes on NY State Police cars for just that reason.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Pontiac lives again -- in G8 sedan recall

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...sedan-recall/1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle View Post
Pontiac is still haunting them - Karma .
Funny.