THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 AM

Location: Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult In The Motor City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Auto Worker can also be a Salaried Worker, Not just a Plant Worker.
Really? I didn't know that (sarcasm)

Quote:
I very seriously doubt that Toyota spends it profits ONLY in the USA and Not Japan. Seriously Doubt that comment.
No S**t. I seriously Doubt that I was implying that. Or that Ford only spends it's profit in Mexico.....
"Billion-Dollar Deals, Different Directions: Ford Eyeing Mexico, Toyota Searching U.S."
http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsid...t/sf060629.htm

Quote:
The Plant in Mexico is a very small part of the overall Ford Work Force.
The plant in Wixom WAS a very small part of the overall Ford Work Force.
How many plants does Ford have (or will build in the future) in Mexico and other countries?

Quote:
"Ford’s Dearborn Truck Plant will resume maximum operation of three shifts in late September. While there are currently three separate crews at the plant, they work on a rotating basis. Each crew works for four weeks and is then on “layoff” for two weeks, said Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans.

How come you conveniently forgot to include that little fact Nonnova???
All 2,800 employees @ full time and 900 people from Michigan’s weekly unemployment rolls.
Sounds like a very small part of the overall Ford work force and out of work American auto workers.
What about permanent lay offs? How come you conveniently forgot to include that little fact Tom.

Quote:
If I am standing in the unemployment line, I AM NOT collecting a full paycheck by a long shot as a salaried worker.
And when I was on unemployment I didn't get my full paycheck as an hourly, non automotive worker either. What does that have to do with Ford opening a plant in Mexico?

8.5" 10 bolt with Auburn race series posi, 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes
Looking for the right Ventura for the drivetrain ('73 w/o Sprint nose)
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnova View Post
Where does Ford (an American company) spend it's profit? Mexico...
Quote:
Or that Ford only spends it's profit in Mexico.....
You paint an interesting picture, but your brush is awfully wide. They aren't spending, they're investing. You also make it sound like all of their profits are being sent south. When it comes to their investments, do you know what the actual percentage is? As for other countries, Ford does sell abroad. How about some sales figures?

I have to ask: do you (or did you) work for Ford?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Location: Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult In The Motor City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
I have to ask: do you (or did you) work for Ford?
No I don't nor did I.

I'm not implying that Ford "spends" or "invests" all it's profits in Mexico.
My point is, everytime the discussion comes up about an American car company building a car or component in Mexico somebody says "at least the profit comes here".
When the discussion comes up about a Japanese car company building a car or component in America somebody says "but the profit goes to Japan".
I'm simply suggesting that these people who make these remarks ask one of the thousands of American auto workers that have lost their job due to a plant closing or "downsizing" if they care where the profit goes.
For that matter ask an American worker who works at a Japanese auto plant here in America if he feels guilty for getting a paycheck (that he spends in the U.S.) since the profit from his work goes to Japan.
I would rather have my fellow Americans working then care about where the profit goes.

8.5" 10 bolt with Auburn race series posi, 3:73 gears and 4 wheel disc brakes
Looking for the right Ventura for the drivetrain ('73 w/o Sprint nose)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Whatever Ford is doing, they don't need my money to bail them out.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No I don't nor did I.

I'm not implying that Ford "spends" or "invests" all it's profits in Mexico.
My point is, everytime the discussion comes up about an American car company building a car or component in Mexico somebody says "at least the profit comes here".
When the discussion comes up about a Japanese car company building a car or component in America somebody says "but the profit goes to Japan".
I'm simply suggesting that these people who make these remarks ask one of the thousands of American auto workers that have lost their job due to a plant closing or "downsizing" if they care where the profit goes.
For that matter ask an American worker who works at a Japanese auto plant here in America if he feels guilty for getting a paycheck (that he spends in the U.S.) since the profit from his work goes to Japan.
I would rather have my fellow Americans working then care about where the profit goes.

That was my point as well...How much money did Ford spend to build the plant, buy the machinery(probably ship it from here to Mexico) etc to pay Juan $2/hour when they could have used an existing building that they probably own, retrofitted it for their needs(more American jobs) to pay U.S. workers to build the cars here. So the higher-ups need to make a little less cash to keep more Americans employed...oooh the horrors.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

The companion question to that is:How many times did the UAW harpoon Fords attempts at opening a MODERN robotic facility here in the states?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
The companion question to that is:How many times did the UAW harpoon Fords attempts at opening a MODERN robotic facility here in the states?
Bill: I'm pro union to a certain extent, but some unions are their own worst enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
That was my point as well...How much money did Ford spend to build the plant, buy the machinery(probably ship it from here to Mexico) etc to pay Juan $2/hour when they could have used an existing building that they probably own, retrofitted it for their needs(more American jobs) to pay U.S. workers to build the cars here. So the higher-ups need to make a little less cash to keep more Americans employed...oooh the horrors.
Mike, I don't like seeing Americans out of work, but the fact is big business will do whatever it takes to save a buck. If they can pay Juan $2 and hour to do the same job as Ralph at $25 + hr + benefits, it's obvious what route they'll take.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO...the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engines are krap. I loved my 7.3 Powerstroke. I own a Dodge with the Cummins and love it but I also believe the Ford truck is a better truck than the Dodge. My fuel mileage is outstanding compared to my 7.3 Powerstroke. If I were to purchase a new diesel today it would be the Duramax....and the Allison transmission would be the cherry on sundae.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"IMO...the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engines are krap. I loved my 7.3 Powerstroke. "

NO CHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bend over Ford, Here it comes! (:>(

The Ford 6.7 Diesel Engine hopeful will be as good as the 7.3 Power Stroke was and better F.E.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:
Duramax....and the Allison transmission would be the cherry on sundae.
Ron, after my last four trucks being diesel Fords, I did get a Duramax GMC Sierra 2500, and it's a pulling fool, and quiet as well. But it is not near as comfortable inside a the Fords, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 09-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been thinking the perfect pick up truck would be to use the Ford chassis, the Allison 6 speed transmission and the Cummins engine. I personally don't like all that racket so I would use the Duramax engine without all that emission crap that kills the MPG and power.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Quote:

"IMO...the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engines are krap. I loved my 7.3 Powerstroke. "

NO CHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bend over Ford, Here it comes! (:>(

The Ford 6.7 Diesel Engine hopeful will be as good as the 7.3 Power Stroke was and better F.E.

Tom Vaught
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
IMO...the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke engines are krap. I loved my 7.3 Powerstroke. I own a Dodge with the Cummins and love it but I also believe the Ford truck is a better truck than the Dodge. My fuel mileage is outstanding compared to my 7.3 Powerstroke. If I were to purchase a new diesel today it would be the Duramax....and the Allison transmission would be the cherry on sundae.
The 6.4s are now officially POS ? I have not heard anything bad about them -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a number of friends that traded their high mileage 7.3 Powerstroke's in for the 6.4 and have had numerous turbo problems and oiling problems. Late last year I was at the Ford dealership to pick up a friend that was dropping off his 7.3. We commented how quiet the 6.4 was and asked the Service Writer about the truck....the reply was to stay away from the 6.4

Also all diesel pickup trucks took a huge fuel mileage hit in 2008 since they now are required to have smog. In some cases the fuel mileage has been cut in half...and they are sick that they traded in their older trucks for new trucks. Myself....my 7.3 had 257,000 and I got rid of it....bad decision as I could have purchased a new long block for around $7,000.00 and would still be driving a great truck with a great engine.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ford as well as GM and others have had plants in Mexico for years and years. The Ford Crown Victoria is made in Mexico as well as engine blocks and transmissions. Same with GM.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I have a number of friends that traded their high mileage 7.3 Powerstroke's in for the 6.4 and have had numerous turbo problems and oiling problems. Late last year I was at the Ford dealership to pick up a friend that was dropping off his 7.3. We commented how quiet the 6.4 was and asked the Service Writer about the truck....the reply was to stay away from the 6.4

Also all diesel pickup trucks took a huge fuel mileage hit in 2008 since they now are required to have smog. In some cases the fuel mileage has been cut in half...and they are sick that they traded in their older trucks for new trucks. Myself....my 7.3 had 257,000 and I got rid of it....bad decision as I could have purchased a new long block for around $7,000.00 and would still be driving a great truck with a great engine.
257,000 and it needed a new short block ?!?
Those 7.3s go longer then that in medium duty truck use ! I know of a 6.9 rollback F350 with a little over 500K on it; and the engine has never been apart -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No...no...no..it did not need a short block..it did not need anything. I sold it because a friend of mine was upside down in a '04 Dodge with the Cummins so I helped him out plus I got a Cummins with just over 75K for a very attractive price. The guy I sold it to still drives it and it now has 347K on it. My thought since I believe the Ford is the better of the two trucks is I should have kept the Ford and when the motor finally died put a rebuilt motor in it.