Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Default Looking to go racing again soon after 25 years ..first need to know what

I'm getting close to going racing again after a very long absence of 25 years. I am starting to follow the race section here in the forums and will be wanting to ask some questions. During my absence for racing my Firebird I kept it and only lighlty followed what was going on in the Pontiac race scene. About 5 years into my absence I bought a Wenzler 1st design tunnel back when it first came out as I was excited to see something new like that made for a pontiac...shortly thereafter I saw he came out wiht an improved tunnel--the Gustram. Well after all these years so many things have cam available for Pontiacs in the aftermarket...pretty unbeleivable...so much stuff that we can now be within a second of pretty much any other make on an engine in the same class of mods.

I am going to start a thread asking about the Wenzler 1st design tunnel and would like reference to cars running or that have ran this manifold ...basically what is the fastest car you have seen running this manifold and with what cam/head combo. Having never even had a chance to run my new/now outdated manifold I would like to give it a try at least, and would also like to receive subjective experienced input on the manifolds design defeinency etc and hear examples of comparisons to other manifolds ie swap and tests etc

But for now, in order for me to be able to follow the race forum, I feel I must first learn what EHTTFMF! means. I may be missing out on a great Pontiac power secret... as I notice some of the fastest guys here reference it with great regularity.

Thanks in advance..looking forward to understanding EHTTFMF!,

-Greg

Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secbird View Post

-Greg
I know what it stands for, but I still don't understand it.

FWIW, I'm running Wenzler Super Chief heads and I'm using a modified Gutsram on my new blown combination.

Welcome back to racing!

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I know what it stands for, but I still don't understand it.

FWIW, I'm running Wenzler Super Chief heads and I'm using a modified Gutsram on my new blown combination.

Welcome back to racing!

Jim
Thanks Jim
Love that car of yours...thats a pretty wild combination you're running. Dont think it will give me any comparison benchmarks for my car, but love to see all the different combinations Pontiacs now have available compared to when I left the scene in 1987...I think the Eheads had just came out..now I've lost count of how many aftermarket heads are available

Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome back. I was gone about that long myself. Lots of new stuff out.
I ran the original Wenzler TR on my 325 cfm KRE D ports .
According to Larry Wenzler you need to go to Gutzram to support any larger air flow.
I wen with Gutsram for my 400+cfm Tigers and been happy with output with my 505 IAII.
Good luck on your return. !!!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where about in California are you, Greg? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help get you back in the swing of things. I found an old photo of Jim's manifold he referenced (on the far left). Jim, the Gutsram I bought off of you many years ago is the one on the right. The one in the middle is the manifold (using a first design Wenzler) we built for Bill Takanabe's project with Brian Baker's lower crank support.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

Last edited by vin63; 02-15-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Welcome back. I was gone about that long myself. Lots of new stuff out.
I ran the original Wenzler TR on my 325 cfm KRE D ports .
According to Larry Wenzler you need to go to Gutzram to support any larger air flow.
I wen with Gutsram for my 400+cfm Tigers and been happy with output with my 505 IAII.
Good luck on your return. !!!
What kind of times did you run with the original Wenzler tunnel...and on what car/weight was it

Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
Where about in California are you, Greg? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help get you back in the swing of things. I found an old photo of Jim's manifold he referenced (on the far left). Jim, the Gutsram I bought off of you many years ago is the one on the right. The one in the middle is the manifold (using a first design Wenzler) we built for Bill Takanabe's project with Brian Baker's lower crank support.
I'm in Sacramento area..about 7 miles from Sacramento Raceway, where we are in desparate need of some fast Pontiacs. My buddy who is one of these "Chevys are the best thing ever, and anyone who spends money trying to make anything else fast is a fool cuz you could have done it for half price with a chevy" kind of guys totally believes that 8 and 7 second Pontiacs are a myth. I try to tell him there are lots of them; just none around Sacramento at least. On News Years Day Race there were easily over 100 cars racing. Out of the 100 cars there were two Pontiacs running: one 67 Firebird running 10.00 (Eheads)and a very stock looking 66 Lemans running 10.40s with iron heads (6x with a belt driven super charger setup).

I sure wish there were more 8 second Pontiacs (or even 10 and 9 second) out here on the West Coast or at least in the Central Valley. We have no Pontiac events out here...I'd like to take my Chevy buddy to one of the Pontiac events back east and let him watch some low 8 high 7 second Pontiacs that could give any of the Chevy guys out here an eye opening.

Does that Gustram have a 2-4 top for it and would you want to sell it?

thanks for posting the pics

Old 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm getting close to going racing again after a very long absence of 25 years. I am starting to follow the race section here in the forums and will be wanting to ask some questions. During my absence for racing my Firebird I kept it and only lighlty followed what was going on in the Pontiac race scene. About 5 years into my absence I bought a Wenzler 1st design tunnel back when it first came out as I was excited to see something new like that made for a pontiac...shortly thereafter I saw he came out wiht an improved tunnel--the Gustram. Well after all these years so many things have cam available for Pontiacs in the aftermarket...pretty unbeleivable...so much stuff that we can now be within a second of pretty much any other make on an engine in the same class of mods.

I am going to start a thread asking about the Wenzler 1st design tunnel and would like reference to cars running or that have ran this manifold ...basically what is the fastest car you have seen running this manifold and with what cam/head combo. Having never even had a chance to run my new/now outdated manifold I would like to give it a try at least, and would also like to receive subjective experienced input on the manifolds design defeinency etc and hear examples of comparisons to other manifolds ie swap and tests etc

But for now, in order for me to be able to follow the race forum, I feel I must first learn what EHTTFMF! means. I may be missing out on a great Pontiac power secret... as I notice some of the fastest guys here reference it with great regularity.

-Greg
I watched the video in your sig, and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it! We did the same thing you did back in the day. We would bolt on street tires and drive the to the track because we were broke, and every penny we could scrape up went into the car we racing. We usually raced on local 1/8 mile tracks, but I drove a low 11 sec Camaro over 100 miles to a track once because it was closest 1/4 mile track to where we lived. We had 4 people in car (because we all pitched in for gas), a jack, an air pig, a small tool box, a 4 way lug wrench, a pair of slicks in the trunk, and a prayer the car didn't break! Those were the days!

That video brought back lots of memories, so thanks for that!

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 02-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Suspended

Thanks 67gto4spd, funny how our cars and racing and those good times stick with us...its surely something special. Liked your story about driving to track with slicks in trunk....I had to fit one in the trunk and one where the back seat was....I would drive there with just enough pump gas to get me to track and carried to gerry 5 gal cans of av gas from the airport. Hey...is someone gonna tell me what EHTTFMF means

Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

10secbird, any pics of your car?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to p4msi1

E delbrock H eads To The F ront M other F $#@!r

I run Tigers Myself, sooooo

THTTFMF

Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm in Sacramento area..On News Years Day Race there were easily over 100 cars racing. Out of the 100 cars there were two Pontiacs running: one 67 Firebird running 10.00 (Eheads)and a very stock looking 66 Lemans running 10.40s with iron heads
I'm surprised Steve and Lisa C were not there, those two are hardcore and race a lot, (like Brett O with his Firebird). Steve has his Ventura running close to 10.0's carrying the front tires high on launch. That New Years Day race would be a good time to run a best ET, as the weather is normally very good for making power.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I grew up in Stockton, so Sacramento Raceway Park was my home track throughout the '80s. Yes, Larry's intakes are available in dual and single carb configurations. I don't have any of his intakes or tops left, except for the modified one I'm running as a blower intake, but they are not too expensive.

As far as Pontiac events, Steve's Pontiac Heaven event will be back in Arizona in April this year at what used to be Firebird (now Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park) in Chandler. There are usually several cars that show up, including Jim and his '63, who routinely run 8s or quicker at this event in the past.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco

The Following User Says Thank You to vin63 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTO4SPEED View Post
I watched the video in your sig, and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it!
X2
Cool video

Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene simmons View Post
X2
Cool video
GRReat sound! & a Dana60 rear.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell your Chevy buddy there are Pontiacs in the 6's... CGeise runs a '04 GTO with turbo'd real Pontiac power into the 6's, he's in the north west. Vin63 has I think the fastest stock block on the planet, cant recall if he hit 6's but the mph is in range. There are other cars in the 6's east of you. Butler/Quillens pro Mod flies.

Welcome back. I'm trying to get reactivated myself... 99 was last full season for me then maybe 2 dozen passes (in a street car) since. Life happens... I'm collectin pieces... and it seems its goin to be quite awhile before I finish buildin'... The wait will be worth it though.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

I was just there yesterday running my Firebird. 8.81 @ 151.67

Old 02-17-2014, 04:10 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSIVPWR View Post
I was just there yesterday running my Firebird. 8.81 @ 151.67
...oh dammit...I didnt even know they had anything going on...next time you race at Sac..id love to check out your car and be sure to bring my chevy friend...tell me about your combo...and please post some pictures...im going to send you a pm with some contact info...would love to know next time you are there...posting on my phone so sorry for all the bad punctuation

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What kind of times did you run with the original Wenzler tunnel...and on what car/weight was it
I ran it on my 462 in the 60 Ventura in signature and it went low 11's - high 10's...with dual Comp 750 AFB's....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
...oh dammit...I didnt even know they had anything going on...next time you race at Sac..id love to check out your car and be sure to bring my chevy friend...tell me about your combo...and please post some pictures...im going to send you a pm with some contact info...would love to know next time you are there...posting on my phone so sorry for all the bad punctuation
I P/M'ed you the info & pics.

The Following User Says Thank You to XSIVPWR For This Useful Post: