THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Why even have a Big Pontiacs for sale forum?

I'm not trying to be a rude person, but why even have that forum? It's obvious nobody on this board outside of a few ppl give a crap about full-size Pontiacs unless you nearly give them away, even if they are nice cars.

People post ads and it's like a graveyard. Maybe nobody wants to admit that full-size Pontiacs by and large are barely worth the metal they are made of these days.

I think Pontiacs are great cars, but I'll never buy another full-size version. I found out the hard way they are a poor investment.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pissed because no one bought your car?
Yes, there is a limited market for the big cars, even more limited on cars like yours from the late '70s. If you bought it as an investment then you've found out that the only cars that have any potential to be money makers in this market are the rare and desirable cars.

You also have to keep in mind that as big as this board may seem, there are really only a few hundred that are really active on it any time. If you really want to sell you've got to get it on front of more people than just PY.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
I'm not trying to be a rude person, but why even have that forum? It's obvious nobody on this board outside of a few ppl give a crap about full-size Pontiacs unless you nearly give them away, even if they are nice cars.

People post ads and it's like a graveyard. Maybe nobody wants to admit that full-size Pontiacs by and large are barely worth the metal they are made of these days.

I think Pontiacs are great cars, but I'll never buy another full-size version. I found out the hard way they are a poor investment.
Well with all due respect that's the problem; your last line says it all.
You’re in it for "Investment" if so then you will never really appreciate any car.
IMO true enthusiasts do it for the love of the car not the investment.
Hell I restored an OHC 6 Lemans; My GTO buddies always scratch their heads as to why or what a waste, so on and so on.
I did it for the my interest in the car, will I make any money if I sell it ? HELL NO.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Good response........

Well stated, Jeff!!

I can't think of a more under appreciated Pontiac than a big ol' 68 Grand Prix, except by it's owner/operator .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could be enticed to trade my 68GTO for:

A crisp 63-69 Bonneville 421/428 with Tow Package. Auto or stick.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
...I can't think of a more under appreciated Pontiac than a big ol' 68 Grand Prix, except by it's owner/operator... .
The good news is you can offer free newsletter mailing to the members of the "We love the 68 Grand Prix Association". All you have to do is walk out and drop the one copy in your mailbox.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Suspended

I have a few big Pontiacs and wouldn't sell them. I need more. The '66 Grand Prix is a great one that I would like to add to my stable.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big Pontiacs were some of the best cars made in their time. They were (and are) great family vehicles that were fun to drive and take trips with 5 or 6 people in. They are underappreciated these days by a lot of people who have no idea what a nice car really is besides a fancy nameplate on an average (or even mediocre) car. Dont buy any car as a potential "investment". A buyer should buy these cars because they "like" the car. These high priced "investors" have ruined the old car hobby to some extent by driving up prices on certain cars that they "believe" in their minds, to be a nicer old car than another one they dont think is worth anything. All older cars have their vices and virtues, one may be better in certain categories than others and vice versa. As an extreme example- Is what is basically a Plymouth Satellite (Road Runner) with the RB (Hemi) engine really worth 2 million dollars, while an actual Satellite with a Slant six not worth hardly anything and someone sells it for $2500 after sitting on it for a couple of years? Sidesteeping all the original "restored" crap such a "reproducing" the original chalk marks and other nonsense, a person could buy the cheaper-(much cheaper) car , put in a 528 crate hemi, restore the body, redo the interior, update the chassis, and blow away the "original" Barrett Jackson crap in all functional categories, as well as have more fun to boot. And have enough money left over to buy a mansion and a first class trip to Hawaii. The same holds true for these big Pontiacs. Buy the one you like, do the body and interior real nice, add all the creature comforts you can that could have came with the car, while not detracting from the appearance. Then put in a nice Pontiac engine with well thought out components and an overdrive, then hit the open road and enjoy. The enjoyment is "the investment" Dont plan on recouping the money outlay and youll be fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goatwgn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Yet another reason to require a minimum post count before offering something for sale......

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPcollector View Post
I have a few big Pontiacs and wouldn't sell them. I need more. The '66 Grand Prix is a great one that I would like to add to my stable.
My fav GP. Nothing beats the slope of the rear qtrs and the tail end. Id love to have one.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
My fav GP. Nothing beats the slope of the rear qtrs and the tail end. Id love to have one.
1966 Grand Prix looks like a big 66 GTO. My favorite as well ,with the 65 running a close second. The color "Iris Mist" (a violet sort of color) actually looks pretty good on the 65 IMO. Make mine a 421 tripower with console and 4 speed. The Catalina 2+2 was a very desirable car as well.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
And especially the GTO grille treatment.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Read the following with Moe Howard's voice (3 Stooges)

"Oh...a speculator, eh?"

Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm surprised that the car (301/Auto) didn't reject the NHRA plate. How did you manage that??

Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My rule #1 when I buy an old car that I'll probably resell is, if I end up getting stuck with it for a while I need to make sure it's a car I don't mind getting stuck with. If you want to use the I bought it for an investment excuse, make sure it's a car you aren't going to regret when that investment bites you in the ass.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I knowed that this? would get the ones one the dark side reved up.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

I knowed that this? would get the ones one the dark side reved up. I like the 65 bonnys i owend one years ago and loved it.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

this thread started off awesone!!!! now go start a similar thread in the trans am section, they really get pssed

Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

iam sorry i had to go find the ad, after the comment about rejecting the nhra plate...that ad was funnier than this thread lmao........ i was just teasing about the trans am section then i seen you did mention those over valued pieces of metal that wouldnt fall from the tree if you pushed them, probaly no T/A guys even looked at that thread because if so it wouldve been alot longer, although i do have a 75.

in any case after reading your ad, i imagine you as if you could be that guy trying to sell vacuums door to door who one day some poor person doesnt buy the vacuum and you say "fk it iam whipping you then!"

come to think of it, my sister in law had one just like that car, you shoulda did what they did, traded it in on something, they gotta decent trade in value considering their cars condition