THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadac View Post
Keith, very nice 63 GP in my favorite color, I wonder why? I hope you plan on attending the 2013 POCI convention in Dayton for the 50th Anniversary of the 1963 models, as there should be a lot there.
That GP really gets my heart racing and it goes without saying so does the 65 GTO.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

It is hard on the full sized cars,
while I may think a fast back 68 coupe with a bench seat, column shift, and 428 is cool,
these cars are not going to be worth what you put into them.

It is not just full sized though.

Just like a Tempest or Lemans or non-TA Firebird probably won't either.

Let alone the 4 doors.

At least non-442 Cultass's, non-RT Chargers, non-SS Chevelles have name recognition compared to a Tempest/Lemans. Hell, a 318 Charger or 307 Chevelle always will sell for more it seems than a 318 Satellite or 350 lemans.

Sadly, I do not have the space,
but full sized muscle like Pontiac, Grand Furys, X100 Mercurys, etc. are the bargain I would be stocking up on, best buys for the money right now.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha-ha....I used to take great pride in whipping up on all the "Pony Cars" with my full size monsters...My 61 Bonni 4 speed & several 65 2+2's were king of street back in the day... I ran anything between GTO's,to Chevells's and Ford's and MOPAR's, Ran the full size cars too. I walked softly and carried a big stick (a PONTIAC) ...most with SD heads,#10 cams, and Tri-power or dual quads...
Bring em on...Like Brand x says...the steet is a great equalizer..

Like what ya want....don't be hatin'......

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 3 Pontiacs and a Corvette, and without a doubt, our 75 G-Ville Conv is our favorite car to drive. There's a lot to say for those cars. Comfortable, easy in and out, ride like a dream, Look great, ETC.

Like previously said, If your in it for the money, you're in it for the wrong reason. The real beauty of it is, there are so many nice full size Pontiacs that can be had without spending an arm and a leg. Sometimes I look at the cost of the popular cars and it gets out of control. Not many people can/ or want to spend 30k+ on an older car to enjoy as a hobby. Why not buy a full size car and enjoy it?

Funny, everyone looks for all the old cars to appreciate in value. I'd rather the value of them fall! Then you can enjoy more of the hobby by owning more of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original poster hasn't been here since 2010 so he's probably not reading the responses.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 PM

As I have posted previously, the majority of Classic Car owners buy cars that were popular back when they were young and growing up, i.e. what was popular back in the day. If you look at the age of the collector you will see most often either cars that a relative had or were popular with the young crowd back then.

I was in H.S. from 1955-1957 and this was the age of the Tri-Fives, 57 Pontiac's, Oldsmobile's, Buick's, Fords, Mercury's, Plymouth's, etc. In the Hot Rods and Customs you had the 28-40's Ford Street rods, and 49-51 Mercury's in the Customs etc.

My favorite Pontiac's back then were the 1957-1964 full size cars. After I sold my 1955 Nomad, that I owned for 14 years, I decided to find a Pontiac. I had a 1961 Pontiac Ventura 2 dr. Hardtop that I bought new in 1961. I looked for almost 2 years to find one for a reasonable price, to no avail. These were the ultimate bubble tops during that time period over the Chevy's or other GM Models.

I finally decided to look for a 63-64 GP and found the one I own located in Van Nuys, CA. listed by the second owner. It is not a Muscle car like the GTO's but drives and handles great when cruising, and is plenty fast compared to many cars on the road today. With it's 389 c.i. big block, 303 HP and 430 ft.lbs. torque is no slouch.

Did I buy it as an investment? No, because I always like the looks of this Classic of the day. Do I expect to make money when I sell it, NO. The enjoyment I get from driving it and talking to the people at car shows, etc. that remembered it when they were growing up or a relative that had one that they always admired is the rewards from owning it and driving it. In addition when going to car shows I do not see multiples of other cars similar to mine. I prefer to have something different that I enjoy.

My observations of Pontiac's (other models) that people do frame off's are trailer queens and not driven or truly enjoyed. Many do not result in covering the restoration expense as evident by watching Barrett-Jackson Auctions.

The goal of investment or just enjoyment do now always coincide, IMO.

Last edited by Nomadac; 02-07-2014 at 02:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomadac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadac View Post
As I have posted previously, the majority of Classic Car owners buy cars that were popular back when they were young and growing up, i.e. what was popular back in the day. If you look at the age of the collector you will see most often either cars that a relative had or were popular with the young crowd back then.
]
I agree cohorts of similar ages tend to go for cars that were popular when they were young and growing up.

However, for about 1964 to 1974,
and most especially about 68 to 72-ish,
there is a disproportionate amount of interest,
with interest ranging from those far younger to for older than were the "right age" to like them.

I am convinced if you put a 68-70 looking Charger body on a RT/SRT Charger frame/drive train,
or 67 Vette on Vet,
69 GTO , 70 Chevelle SS, etc. on a new Camaro drivetrain, etc.

They would sell like crazy.

I have been saying it for about 20 years.

All I know is tens of thousands of 4200 pound cars that SORT of look like a relatively unpopular 3000 pound pony car that was only around a few years get sold each year.

Imagine if it was a 30K 69 GTO looking car with about 400 net HP and ft lbs.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love 61-63 Catalina's, 62 Grand Prix's, and 75 Grandville's. Those are some damn good looking cars!

I'd love to own a few big cars, but right now Im overrun with F bodies

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The original poster hasn't been here since 2010 so he's probably not reading the responses.
Yeah I know Stuart. Just bringing out the point that a big car can be a performance car too...not what the original poster had....a slug..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with Troy^^^
Nothing more fun than putting your opponent on his trailer with a big, obese, Darksider.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66bonne For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Suspended

Interesting thread. The 66 lemans 4dr hardtop I had up for sale here went to a Pontiac brother who needed parts. I didn't particularly want to see the car parted, I thought it was worth saving, but I had fun with the car regardless. In the end it worked out for everyone.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Suspended

I'll tell you guys what's priceless to me though, this is my nephew taking that car to it's first & last car show.

I found that car sitting in a driveway going to waste, it would have been scrapped had I not gone to the door and asked if he wanted to sell it.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

See this thread I started.... this car is making me whacky knowing it is for sale in my Montana town...... a 71 or 72 (see thread) Bonneville with 455 Tripower and 4 speed / buckets..... Big, bad, attitude and subtle if possible at that size....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=746683

Craigslist ad: http://kalispell.craigslist.org/cto/4294223870.html

Old 02-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing that made the big cars work so well was the long wheelbase combined with the longer, heavier rear overhang behind the rear end. Especially with a lesser rear suspension they would hook on ice compared to the front heavy pony cars. Especially street light to street light. The new cars (Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers etc) now are all at over 4000 lbs and they are fast. The mid '60's full sized Pontiacs, with some power parts and a good driver could woop up on better cars. They definitely were not slouches.

Mark L

Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
One thing that made the big cars work so well was the long wheelbase combined with the longer, heavier rear overhang behind the rear end. Especially with a lesser rear suspension they would hook on ice compared to the front heavy pony cars. Especially street light to street light.
I was embarrassing quite a few cars with speed and cornering in this heavy rain with my wagon. It's been quite amusing, I'd really like to have a more powerful engine and overdrive to really see what it can do ;-)

Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
See this thread I started.... this car is making me whacky knowing it is for sale in my Montana town...... a 71 or 72 (see thread) Bonneville with 455 Tripower and 4 speed / buckets..... Big, bad, attitude and subtle if possible at that size....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=746683

Craigslist ad: http://kalispell.craigslist.org/cto/4294223870.html
Man, that car is awesome. I'd love to have it.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Love the big cars!

I love my 1964 421 tri-power, 4 speed, power window, factory tach, vacuum gauge, power window, AM/FM with reverb, power antenna, mostly original paint car.

Can you even fit all of that on a GTO?, I have never seen it. Stock for stock this car will spank any 389 GTO and did, it was THE performance offering from Pontiac in 1964, the GTO's first year and nothing can beat it's looks.

What other car can you pull up to the High School in and stuff 6 cheerleaders in the trunk? Dave

Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970ls5 View Post
I love my 1964 421 tri-power, 4 speed, power window, factory tach, vacuum gauge, power window, AM/FM with reverb, power antenna, mostly original paint car.

Can you even fit all of that on a GTO?, I have never seen it. Stock for stock this car will spank any 389 GTO and did, it was THE performance offering from Pontiac in 1964, the GTO's first year and nothing can beat it's looks.

What other car can you pull up to the High School in and stuff 6 cheerleaders in the trunk? Dave
Sounds like a really nice ride 1970ls5 but you left out one minor detail.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Default More fun things to do in a full size

Greg, you mean spinning the girl around and putting her head between the front buckets and her feet on the package tray?, done that too! Try that in a GTO!

My first wife and I did the nasty in the back of my 1979 10th Anniversary but we were both in our 20's, that would kill me now! Dave

Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a 240Z...lol
Actually, I was referring to the fact that you didn't mention what kind of car you have?...
Bonneville? Cat? GP? 2+2?